Dodge Grand Caravan | GTAMotorcycle.com

Dodge Grand Caravan

nobbie48

Site Supporter
Looking for a replacement vehicle. The Caravan has decent cargo size and good access. I've never been a Chrysler fan but no particular reason.

2015 or 2016 model

Comments?

I have long thought that these were the best deal out there for transportation. I have had 10+ of these over the years for sales vehicles. One blew out a transmission which was the weak point of the older ones. There was a cylinder head issue with the older Pentastar engines but I think that got sorted out around 2012 or so.

I am partial to the Crew and Crew + model (the centre console is really nicely designed). The RT is a bit over the top to me. The Uconnect is well regarded for being one of the better systems out there and their Navigation is via Garmin. The new Pacifica looks like a winner but will command Town And Country level pricing.

I have a friend that bought a new SXT and another friend who bought a slightly used Crew model. Both are happy so far.

Are you looking for it as a cargo hauler, or for passengers? With 4 kids, I've done a lot of minivan shopping! If you're looking for comfort, I have a 2015 Kia Sedona (they revamped that year) and love it. The fit and finish is miles ahead of the Caravan, which I have always thought seemed cheap and rough compared to the other vans. We have a Caravan at work and I hate driving it. The Sedona, Sienna and Odyssey are all much much more comfortable, but Toyota and Honda are both more expensive. Value for the money, I thought the Kia was the best buy if you're looking for any features above basic transportation. The only problem is if you're buying it for hauling cargo, the middle seats don't come out (not easily anyway) and only fold forward against the front seats, so you lose a little cargo space that way. Kias also don't hold their value very well. But I would definitely recommend the Sedona to anyone looking for a nice, comfortable people-hauler.

I dont like them, but its hard to argue the bang for the buck on a people hauler.

So happy I can't bring any knowledge to this thread...

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Reactions: J_F
It's to replace an '07 Uplander which in spite of its heritage has been an OK set of wheels. 98% of the time it's two people or less plus a bag of groceries but the other two percent is to carry the equivalent of two bicycles upright at the same time.

The Uplander has a full 48 inch width hatch like the caravan and a decent height as well. It can carry 4X8 panels if let them stick out the back a bit.

GM has replaced the Uppie with the useless for the purpose Traverse.

I would like the Uppie to last two more years but to keep me feeling safe I would have to spend about five thou on it, mostly tranny work.

never the right time.......

Last edited:
The thought of having a mini van does kinda suck....but I've had a Montana for 11 years...
I can load up the kids, have hauled wood, bathtubs, trampolibes, and two zx6r's...nuff said

Yeah, I asked a GM dealer a few years ago what they had for my family with three out of the four kids in car seats (meaning a 3-row SUV wouldn't work because you can't fold the seat forward with a car seat in it), and they said "The Orlando." I asked him where the stroller and diaper bag and everything else would go when the back seats are a couple of inches away from touching the hatch. He said "good point, I guess we don't have a vehicle for you."

If it's for carrying "stuff" (such as bikes or lumber), that's one disadvantage with the Sedona - without being able to remove the middle row of seats, you really can't fit a whole lot back there. It cuts out a lot of the cargo space. I know the Sienna will fit 4x8 sheets laying flat in the back with the hatch closed. The Odyssey used to, but I'm not sure if the current ones do. I'm not sure about the Caravan.

If you're looking for just basic wheels with the ability to carry stuff, the Caravan has the stow-and-go seating which is convenient, and the "Canada Value Package" ones are a great deal. I just found that the interior seemed cheap and the ride not as smooth, and when I started adding the options I wanted they ended up getting to be just about as expensive as any of the others. Give one a test drive, then try one of the others and see how you think it compares.

We bought the wife one in 2011, fully loaded....Its got around 200k on it now. The stock brakes suck, and just had to replace wheel bearings all around.

Bang for the buck is better than anything else of comparable size. Being that you want a new or late model lightly used one, it will have the 3.6 Pentastar V6 and 62TE transmission. My big van (Promaster) has the same drivetrain and it is good - plenty of power, smooth and quiet, and it's not bad on fuel. Chrysler minivans have a reputation for bad transmissions but that's been fixed, and early Pentastars (2012 model year) had some cylinder head issues but that's long since fixed.

Bang for the buck is better than anything else of comparable size. Being that you want a new or late model lightly used one, it will have the 3.6 Pentastar V6 and 62TE transmission. My big van (Promaster) has the same drivetrain and it is good - plenty of power, smooth and quiet, and it's not bad on fuel. Chrysler minivans have a reputation for bad transmissions but that's been fixed, and early Pentastars (2012 model year) had some cylinder head issues but that's long since fixed.
brand new loaded for $19,999? Yeah, as lame as driving a minivan every day would be I've thought about it. Looks like they'll tow 3700 lbs too, likely enough for my trailer, two bikes and gear. And I could sleep in it...

brand new loaded for $19,999? Yeah, as lame as driving a minivan every day would be I've thought about it. Looks like they'll tow 3700 lbs too, likely enough for my trailer, two bikes and gear. And I could sleep in it...

The $19,999 is the 2015 Canada Value Package. Add about 3 grand for 2016. Some creature comforts such as air, auto and power front windows but no tinted glass or stow and go seating on the mid seats. I hear that this is last year for the Grand Caravan as it's being replaced by the Pacifica. More refined but starts at about $20K more.

Motorcycles replaced the stallion. Minivans replaced the pack mule.

Ran a $40k Montana into the ground at 15 years and only 150k kms(rode my bike more). I miss having a minivan. I don't care about uber performance in a cargo/people hauler. Hauls 4x8 sheets and lots of home reno stuff. It did the job and great going camping. I run a SUV now and going camping is a really tight fit. Even the kids miss having a minivan. If I was buying a new cage, I'd go with a minivan. Chances are it's gas mileage is better than my SUV.

The shuddering i get while reading this thread confirms that i'll get snipped after baby #2

The shuddering i get while reading this thread confirms that i'll get snipped after baby #2

Not all minivans have to be terrible.

http://www.speedhunters.com/2014/02/burnouts-for-family-1029hp-minivan/

All kidding aside, the caravan is about as cool as a 155 cc scooter but it is damn functional. You have more space, better fuel economy and much lower purchase price than any SUV. Are the honda/toyota better than the caravan? Yup, but they cost significantly more. If I was in the minivan market, it would be the caravan's race to lose.

Ran a $40k Montana into the ground at 15 years and only 150k kms(rode my bike more). I miss having a minivan. I don't care about uber performance in a cargo/people hauler. Hauls 4x8 sheets and lots of home reno stuff. It did the job and great going camping. I run a SUV now and going camping is a really tight fit. Even the kids miss having a minivan. If I was buying a new cage, I'd go with a minivan. Chances are it's gas mileage is better than my SUV.
How did a Montana cost $40k 15 years ago?

My mom has one, I have hauled my bike to the track on it - they have plenty of room for 2 people to sleep on it and you can't hardly feel the bike inside while driving it. Pretty good on gas as well while hauling a bike inside.

You won't catch me alive buying one or using it as a daily driver.

All you guys crying about driving a minivan...really? You let that define you? I have had both previous generation models (1999 and 2005) and miss the functionality of them. Can't make Costco runs like I used to. My old scooter? Rolled it right in. Would get another if the right one came around.
Someone mentioned that they were going to axe this? Can't see it happening. Number 1 selling minivan.
OP - pros: roomy, functional, cheap
Cons (in my experience ) gas guzzler, replace brakes often (I drive hard) bad trannys ( my models) rust issues.
If you get one of the $20k deals, cool. Otherwise I would go used.

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

I hear that this is last year for the Grand Caravan as it's being replaced by the Pacifica. More refined but starts at about $20K more.

RU (the new van) is replacing the Town and Country. RT (the old van) will carry on as a lower-priced model for at least another couple of years.

Back
Top Bottom