How much of the riding you do is "spirited/up pace? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

How much of the riding you do is "spirited/up pace?

There are no hard and fast rules since urban traffic is a complex system. Going faster can give you some space, or encourage aggressive riders/drivers around you. Not a good situation if they (or you) have poor skills. Sometimes holding position behind a slower bus/truck lets them pass and duke it out someplace ahead, where yet another red light/jam awaits. Lowering average speed to reduce slowing/stopping and smoothing out the kinks can be pretty satisfying. Plus, it can give you extra reaction time to deal with the turkeys, who will try anything to save a few seconds.
Yes

Well I don't feel like such a bad apple now. I just have to cut down on some of the riskier maneuvers. I feel so much more capable then everything around me so i tend to treat cars like speed bumps and forget sometimes that they can be very unpredictable.

I ride mostly high speed country roads and spend alot of time in the 140-170km/h range with regular trips past 200km/h so everything i do around the speed limit feels like it's in slow motion to me now. I think I understand why so many guys who run track either don't ride on the street or limit themselves with very small bikes.

After you get comfortable going fast it becomes a chore to go slow.

Last edited:
I thought I'd read somewhere that one of the most dangerous times for new motorcyclists is not necessarily when they first hit the road with new license in hand but rather a season or two later when they've gotten some confidence and then begin to take some risks, aren't quite as vigilant, develop some bad habits etc. Can't find the source now, unfortunately.

Ride safe.

I thought I'd read somewhere that one of the most dangerous times for new motorcyclists is not necessarily when they first hit the road with new license in hand but rather a season or two later when they've gotten some confidence and then begin to take some risks, aren't quite as vigilant, develop some bad habits etc. Can't find the source now, unfortunately.

Ride safe.

Probably read so much, developed some bad habits like not vigilant enough and too much confidence. That's a lethal combination.

Read safe.

I ride mostly high speed country roads and spend alot of time in the 140-170km/h range with regular trips past 200km/h so everything i do around the speed limit feels like it's in slow motion to me now. I think I understand why so many guys who run track either don't ride on the street or limit themselves with very small bikes.

Cop sees that, you're toast.

Its time to start heading to the track. Its a lot of fun and no cops, minivans or speed limits. This should help scratch the itch. Just be careful, its addictive :)

If you've never been, there are many people here that go and are more than willing to give you a hand on your first day. Going fast on the road is one thing, going fast on the track is a whole different set of cards. The benefit is you will always take skill with you, regardless of where or what you ride. Invest in developing it. Its a lot of fun and critical to have in case of an emergency.

Well I don't feel like such a bad apple now. I just have to cut down on some of the riskier maneuvers. I feel so much more capable then everything around me so i tend to treat cars like speed bumps and forget sometimes that they can be very unpredictable.

I ride mostly high speed country roads and spend alot of time in the 140-170km/h range with regular trips past 200km/h

The cops, insurance companies, and city coffers must really love you....let me guess, if you pass a cop you probably try to run as well because #YOLO?

My usual policy is accelerate fast, settle into moderate speed. A lot of my riding is commuting, and I ride a 2016 900cc Triumph Bonneville with the high torque engine, which just invites you to accelerate aggressively.

When I'm on longer rides, I'm much more relaxed.

I feel so much more capable then everything around me so i tend to treat cars like speed bumps and forget sometimes that they can be very unpredictable.

*snip*

For a guy who's been riding since spring you've got a serious case of overconfidence going on in my opinion. "I feel so much more capable then everything around me" -- You need to reign that in ASAP if you want to stay alive and/or keep your license.

Any monkey can twist a throttle and go fast - it takes self control to ride within reason. Think about it.

My bike is perfect for that, ride faster than traffic but not at lightning speeds where i'll get in trouble (unless i'm really pushing it and then, i just don't have any excuses)
But yeah it's getting more and more dangerous and i make more ballsy moves now.... and as much as i save a bunch of time, i don't like it.

RIP. Thought I would get that in now while you still have a chance to see it.

I think the best way to remind yourself to go slow is to go riding with your beginner buddy on a 250... reminds you to stay humble

Looking at your previous posts, and judging by the fact that you only received your M1 around Oct 2015, you're definitely way too overconfident to be riding at those speeds. The level of risk riding at those speeds even for a seasoned rider would be considered idiotic on public roads.

You've had maybe 4 months to learn how to ride, and ride properly. Unless you've been taking advanced riding lessons from day one, take a step back, re-evaluate the risks you're taking, and brush up on the basics before being too comfortable going straight fast.

There's a reason why many track riders have a bike specifically for the track, and a much smaller bike for the street.

Last edited:
Doesn't he have a kid/kids as well? 140-200 km/h on country roads posted 80 km/h (for a reason) is a recipe for a cake nobody wants to eat. Easy to be confident until something runs into the road.

I gave up street riding completely.

I went on two rides this season. Going slow on a supersport is incredibly ****ing boring. Within 5 mins getting out of my house I was weaving in and out of traffic to get to a long sweeper. Once the sweeper came into view, I saw no cars, and started banging through gears to get up to speed. 90% of the turns in the GTA require you to be doing 230-270 to get any decent lean. Then went on some ramps, bumped into a friend, and got my knee down accidentally.

Then I went to Shannonville a few weeks ago and realized "**** street riding". I'd rather save the money on insurance for track days without the risk of a (massive) ticket or murdering some twat that changes lanes without signalling when I'm doing stupid ****.

Now I even hate car driving; I'd rather take the bus, play some 3DS/PS Vita/PSP/Android games then get ****** off at all the ****** slow drivers.

.........I think I have road rage issues.

EDIT: Forgot to add. People on the track are super nice too. I haven't met anyone with a big ego issue. Generally riders share information with each other as a collective effort to get faster and learn off one another.

Street riding is a completely different story. I've had someone tell me to hold the rear brake down mid corner. And another one tell me crossing up is key.

Last edited:
^ On top of that, no pine cones on the track either!

I have ridden in other parts of the world and let me say amount traffic we have over here is way less than anywhere else comparatively plus amount space you have within a single lane is also quite large compared to some of those 3rd world roads... when you riding in traffic like Hong Kong where 100+ scooters and bikes all trying to race each other to be first ..I would say speeds like 80 KM/h would feel like 120

To do high speeds in North America is very easy challenge and to do it safely even easier all you got to do is book a day at Track close to your place and you would have time of your life there.

Doesn't he have a kid/kids as well? 140-200 km/h on country roads posted 80 km/h (for a reason) is a recipe for a cake nobody wants to eat. Easy to be confident until something runs into the road.

I experienced such an experience recently minus the confident part. Minor saving grace was that the crash would not have been my fault legally, only logically. Also I have no kids. The rest of your post resonates.

Too many posts to quote so I'll try to make a general one.

I want to become a highly skilled rider someday so losing my license in year 1 wouldn't help me accomplish that. I am going to focus on riding smooth and defensive. Once I feel like my skill is stagnating I will force myself to a track day.

I will be a good rider.

Too many posts to quote so I'll try to make a general one.

I want to become a highly skilled rider someday so losing my license in year 1 wouldn't help me accomplish that. I am going to focus on riding smooth and defensive. Once I feel like my skill is stagnating I will force myself to a track day.

I will be a good rider.

You will be greeted with open arms by a loving community. Not unlike here. I guess I should also indicate that my track experience was less than favourable because nobody likes a showoff. Don't be a doosh on steroids.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom