Rashes from Helmet? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Rashes from Helmet?

Maovee

Has this happened to anyone? (I've only been riding for maybe 5 days and this appeared yesterday) I have a metal allergy but I'm pretty sure that's not related, and sort of needing suggestions on what I can do.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Anything a bit more appealing? As a female I can't see myself wearing that, ever.

What brand is your helmet?
If it lists "antimicrobial fabric lining" then there's Silver in the fabric.
In your case this is not the ideal silver lining ;)

Some fabrics may contain silver to kill bacteria & keep odour down. If you have an expensive helmet, you probably have silver

I'm going to assume you're experiencing basic heat rash. Wash your helmet liner occasionally and follow typical higene precautions for heavy/bulky/sweaty gear in the summer. Lots of powders, creams, products on the market for babies to professional athletes.

Silver/Nickel is my worst enemy, I had no idea that antimicrobial fabric lining had that... GG, Walking around the office as though I have hickies on my neck and getting awkward stares.

Last edited:
I never got any rashes but I think the pressure from breaking in the helmet caused my face to break out for a while

wash it
warm water with baby shampoo
rinse well
dunk the helmet
remove visor first
use towel to dry inside as best you can
lay on towel flat surface point the fan at it
should dry in a day

Silver/Nickel is my worst enemy, I had no idea that antimicrobial fabric lining had that... GG, Walking around the office as though I have hickies on my neck and getting awkward stares.

Silver-chloride titanium dioxide is the one of the possible anti-microbial treatments. Triclosan is another and can cause skin irritation in some people. Independent testing seems to suggest none of the treatments have significant effects through. There's no replacement for old faithful--soap and water. Remember when helmets had glued in liners? A real nuisance to wash.

Silver-chloride titanium dioxide is the one of the possible anti-microbial treatments. Triclosan is another and can cause skin irritation in some people. Independent testing seems to suggest none of the treatments have significant effects through. There's no replacement for old faithful--soap and water. Remember when helmets had glued in liners? A real nuisance to wash.

That wasn't too long ago. My second helmet (5 years ago) had liners glued to the helmet.

Anything a bit more appealing? As a female I can't see myself wearing that, ever.

It goes under your helmet. No one sees it. You put it on right before your helmet, take it off right after.

I personally wear this now: http://ca.icebreaker.com/en/mens-ha...exi-beanie/102461.html?dwvar_102461_color=001

Also had good experience with a bandana made of the same material VnM Sports makes their gear out of. Think they sell actual beanies now although I don't see them on their site. http://vnmsportgear.com/ Contact the owner who is a female rider originally from Ontario and she'll probably have something to help you out.

Last edited:
...Walking around the office as though I have hickies on my neck and getting awkward stares...

Do you have any rash on your head covered by your hair? If not it might be a neck covering, neck area of the helmet, or it might be an environmental allergy from pollen. It is the season. Riding exposes you more to pollen than other vehicles, due to the built in air conditioning. Is your bike a naked or faired?

Silk scarf used as a bandana?

It's naked and I believe my rash is starting everywhere. I don't have allergies to pollen.

Do you have other allergies? You might want a hit of benadryl for short-term itching and contact dermatitis, but if you have something else then take it. This will only mask the allergen, not prevent it. You might want to find another way home, or use a different helmet/use a plastic bag.

Back
Top Bottom