Looking for hardwood flooring | GTAMotorcycle.com

Looking for hardwood flooring

mimico_polak

Site Supporter
Anyone have good recommendations on where to purchase hardwood flooring for a good price?

We are looking at updating as much of the house as possible before we move in so that it eliminates the need for work later once we're moved in...I figure it's easier with an empty house instead of after we move in.

Putting in an IKEA kitchen (as some have noted on the housing thread), new tiles in bathroom and kitchen (backsplash only as floor is good/nice), and debating b/w hardwood v laminate, as well as considering unfinished hardwood to maybe save a bit if it is an option.

Within GTA is ideal as I need to get it to Square 1 area.

I would agree with @FLSTC about laminate, but I do not mind the engineered hardwooods at all. And imo the cost savings on unfinished is outweighed by the extra work.
Have you checked lumber liquidators?

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

There is no savings on finishing you own floor unless its a very complicated custom floor. Prefinished is a huge value, and once its in your done. There are very high end laminates and now very good engineered floors, but the good ones cost more than solid wood.

Please do not do a cheap laminate floor, they look crappy a day after install and never get better. Just watch the homo depot and Lowes flyers and you'll find a deal.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Working on starting to get all pricing in line so will be contacting shops next week.

Yes the floor would all be ripped out and ready to lay down, may lay it down on our own but with the speed that a crew can do it with it may be worth the added expense.

As for laminate, I've used 12.8mm+ laminate before and like it. I wouldn't go for the garbage 8mm or so because it's horrible...have seen what happens instantly after install with it and some wear on it.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Working on starting to get all pricing in line so will be contacting shops next week.

Yes the floor would all be ripped out and ready to lay down, may lay it down on our own but with the speed that a crew can do it with it may be worth the added expense.

As for laminate, I've used 12.8mm+ laminate before and like it. I wouldn't go for the garbage 8mm or so because it's horrible...have seen what happens instantly after install with it and some wear on it.

Agreed with 12.8mm+ AC4 rating or more. I also check if it's made in Germany, USA or France (all can be found in home depot or equivalent). I'd avoid "made in China".
Also, avoid using the $10/roll underlayment. get the mid-level price with the noise reduction.

all the hardwood places I am familiar with are on Denison near Woodbine, but at the end we ended up purchasing at Lowe's. bonus: unopened boxes you can return for refund :)

Best to keep an eye on long weekends and jump on the deals (usually no tax events - that's 13% savings). If you are hiring a contractor, see if he is willing to share his/her account also... additional savings in purchasing materials.

Also, paint before laying down the flooring if you can. I am super lazy that way :)

IMHO, using 'laminate' flooring (a photo of woodgrain on top of a particleboard/fibreboard) is akin to using those thin fake-brick panels on the outside of your house. Might look like real brick from a distance and may fool some people, but it's a faux pas from any craftsman, quality, or pride of ownership perspective. You're better-off using a decent carpet.

People of Walmart vs Better Homes & Gardens.

Repsol paint job on a Hyosung GT250

I used "Project Hardwood Flooring" in Aurora when I bought wood a little over a year ago. 4.5" prefinished wire brushed Oak from Mercier for $5/ft. Not magic price wise, but fair considering it was wider and brushed. I was very happy with Mercier, each box had a few 7 foot boards and very few shorts with no bad boards. Average length was probably over 4'. I was considering buying shorts from another store for ~$3/ft but I am glad I sprung for the longer ones, it looks much better.

Don't forget to budget for baseboards too, I went with 5/8" (or 3/4"?) thick baseboards so I could avoid 1/4 round or shoe moulding.

I think Omnivore may do floors for a living in Brantford. I'm not sure if he can contribute anything useful to this discussion.

As an aside, my brother is living in an really old house in the states, from the kitchen to the living room is hardwood floors with 23' lengths. Bleeping awesome.

Back
Top Bottom