motorcycle ownership transfer ,, estate deal | GTAMotorcycle.com

motorcycle ownership transfer ,, estate deal

meester_jamie

Site Supporter
I understand that transfer of a motorcycle from father to son means no RST to be paid... but this sort of has a twist and I would like to understand what can be done at Service Ontario

Estate of Father.. 1969 motorcycle needs to be transferred to son
There is no appraisal done yet.. is one necessary when no tax is required to be paid?
I understand motorcycles don't need an appraisal any way..

a safety inspection hasn't been done .. but it will pass a safety ,, would it be ok to have a safety done at sons expense, or should the estate be expected to pay? ,

son can't afford insurance presently.. so it could be transferred FIT unplated.. with the safety

I suppose there is a fee to transfer it from unplated to plated in the future, so transferring it now as UNFIT and doing the safety at his leisure... at the time he can get insurance , and getting a plate would cost the same .. only a few months down the road.

and is there any reason the executor can't walk into service ontario.. old ownership in hand, and transfer it into the son's name as unfit?... provided they have name and drivers license number ,,, and I assume some sort of paper that states executor has the right to sign it over to son, and maybe a small fee... ??

seems simple,, executor walks into Service Ontario at their leisure.... asks for bike to be transferred into son's name UNFIT,, provides name and drivers lic.. clerk asks for transfer fee of ? $25 ?

Son would have to take time off work to attend service ontario .. and probably drive long distance to meet at executors convenient location if require, which is a bit inconvenient...

I believe the executor has the power to sign the transfer on the motorcycle ownership.
It's probably worth a trip to Service Ontario to check out the various ins and outs of your plan.
At least when the son is ready to make the bike road worthy, he knows what exactly will be required.

A cleaner less hassle option would be to have the estate sell you the bike for $1.00. You will pay $0.13 tax to the MTO. You buy UVIP for $20.00 making your total cost $20.13 to transfer. They won't ask you any questions and it's done in minutes. You go to MTO on your own - you will need current signed ownership. You can have the ownership as pass unfit and get your plates when the safety is performed and the bike is insured. Essentially, you are transferring ownership only.

Transferring parent to child does not need the UVIP.
Don't need to buy that for a $1.00, either. For me since I have time, the easiest way to check would be for the executor to bring the new owner and ask at the counter. Might be able to get it done right then and there.

....and is there any reason the executor can't walk into service ontario.. old ownership in hand, and transfer it into the son's name as unfit?... provided they have name and drivers license number ,,, and I assume some sort of paper that states executor has the right to sign it over to son, and maybe a small fee... ??

seems simple,, executor walks into Service Ontario at their leisure.... asks for bike to be transferred into son's name UNFIT,, provides name and drivers lic.. clerk asks for transfer fee of ? $25 ? ...

dealerships do it all the time, so don't see why the executor can't, as long as they have the docs to show they are the executor. Not even sure they need the DL# of the son....just their address. Don't need a lic. to own a vehicle, just to drive it.

They did make my brother-in-law pay his outstanding tickets to get his plate.

dealerships do it all the time, so don't see why the executor can't, as long as they have the docs to show they are the executor. Not even sure they need the DL# of the son....just their address. Don't need a lic. to own a vehicle, just to drive it.

This is the same thought I had... but a call to service ontario today says " NO.. the son must be on site to sign the back of the new ownership ?? or submit a form and an affidavit stating the son wants the vehicle in his name.......

I can only assume people were putting cars in others names for nefarious reasons..
I dunno.. even after talking to 3 different offices.. which was probably a mistake..
so I am out.. I'll let them figure it out.. I just thought it could be done an easy way... probably my second mistake! lol

This is the same thought I had... but a call to service ontario today says " NO.. the son must be on site to sign the back of the new ownership ?? or submit a form and an affidavit stating the son wants the vehicle in his name.......

I can only assume people were putting cars in others names for nefarious reasons..
I dunno.. even after talking to 3 different offices.. which was probably a mistake..
so I am out.. I'll let them figure it out.. I just thought it could be done an easy way... probably my second mistake! lol

There is a place in the paperwork where a DL # is needed. If the owner doesn't have a DL or in the case of a company owned vehicle they assign some number.

I wouldn't want a vehicle, boat, ebike etc put in my name without my written consent. I would be responsible if it was in a collision.

Transferring parent to child does not need the UVIP.

The parent is dead. I'm sure this will have some effect on the transfer process.
As I stated earlier, the executor of the estate has the authority to sign the transfer portion of the ownership.
Someone suggested earlier a sale from the estate to the son for $1.

Last edited:
There is a place in the paperwork where a DL # is needed. If the owner doesn't have a DL or in the case of a company owned vehicle they assign some number.

I wouldn't want a vehicle, boat, ebike etc put in my name without my written consent. I would be responsible if it was in a collision.

You don't need a DL to own a vehicle, only to drive it.

The vehicle has to be noted in the will.
Take a copy of the will and a death cert to Service Ontario.

I just went through this.

If the vehicle is NOT in the will, get the executor to sell it to you for a dollar. You may or may not have to pay tax on the value of the vehicle... depends on how much they like you.

Been through this with my dad's car (same situation). Car wasn't specifically noted in the will but my sister and I decided what we would do with it (transfer it to her). If you want it transferred as "fit" and plated you will need a safety inspection and arrange insurance first. The executor and the person who will be receiving the vehicle need to go to ServiceOntario with a copy of the will and death certificate and the ownership paperwork for the vehicle and the old license plate(s).

Been through this with my dad's car (same situation). Car wasn't specifically noted in the will but my sister and I decided what we would do with it (transfer it to her). If you want it transferred as "fit" and plated you will need a safety inspection and arrange insurance first. The executor and the person who will be receiving the vehicle need to go to ServiceOntario with a copy of the will and death certificate and the ownership paperwork for the vehicle and the old license plate(s).

was there any taxes to be paid.. ?

An alternate method. It's a little confusing so bear with me.
Have the son take a copy of the will, the ownership transfer signed by the executor and a copy of the death certificate to Service Ontario.
Tell Service Ontario that you only want to transfer ownership, you don't want it plated at this time.
Get a temp permit for the bike. You will need insurance for this.
The son will make arrangements with his insurance company to cover this motorcycle for one day.
The day he is riding it from where it is to where he wants it.
Move the bike, return the temp plate to Service Ontario.
OR
Same procedure but use a van or pickup to move the bike. No temp plate or insurance required.

Last edited:
An alternate method. It's a little confusing so bear with me.
Have the son take a copy of the will, the ownership transfer signed by the executor and a copy of the death certificate to Service Ontario.
Tell Service Ontario that you only want to transfer ownership, you don't want it plated at this time.
Get a temp permit for the bike. You will need insurance for this.
The son will make arrangements with his insurance company to cover this motorcycle for one day.
The day he is riding it from where it is to where he wants it.
Move the bike, return the temp plate to Service Ontario.
OR
Same procedure but use a van or pickup to move the bike. No temp plate or insurance required.

1 - do temps still exist??
2- i don't see any insurance company insuring a bike that is not deemed fit on registration or unsafetied..

1 - do temps still exist??
2- i don't see any insurance company insuring a bike that is not deemed fit on registration or unsafetied..

1. Yes- a red 'T' you stick on your plate.
2. Yes they will. As long as you have a VIN they will insure a vehicle, fit or not. You may need to ride around with a temp sticker to get it ready for certification while it is still unfit.

Back
Top Bottom