Higher mileage Ducs | GTAMotorcycle.com

Higher mileage Ducs

mbroyda

Hey guys and Gals

I'm looking to see if any one has first hand experience with a high mileage Ducati??
My Multistrada 1200 is coming up on 45k, and although I have not had any problems with it yet apart from a fairly minor tuning issue, and a corroded connection on the headlight relay, but I'm starting to wonder a little bit, and think that maybe its time for a refresh while I can still get some money for it.
Any of you guys or gals run a Ducati to high (50K+) mileage? what was your experience like?

Cheers

Max

I have an 09 696 with 68K on it. Lots of touring miles, some track miles, and a little hooligan miles.

Around the 50K mark, I had a bizarre problem with a metallic noise coming from the engine (or around it?). The noise was not in synch with the engine (i.e. rev the bike, the noise gets louder or higher pitched), so it sounded like there was something that was loose somewhere. Couldn't find the source. The noise went away as mysteriously as it came; but not before spending some time at the mechanic to figure out the problem. ****** way to spend money.

At around the 60K mark, I had a lot of things let go at the same time. Some typical, some not.

Usual stuff: Sprockets, chain, tires, headlight, clutch
Unusual stuff: starter, engine tension bearings <- this one happened while I was on a road trip.

Since then the bike has been fine - just gas and oil changes. I had some issues with my clutch pedal being really stiff while the engine being on and standing still, but that problem has now gone away too.

Hope this helps.

FWIW, i plan to keep the bike for this season, but not sure what I will do next. Considering I'd be lucky to get $3000 for it as is, I might just keep it.

Last edited:
ye engine tension bearing and a started going in the middle of a road trip is the kind of stuff id like to avoid.

just came back from NC and the bike ran great all week, not a single issue, but can just imagine getting stranded in the mountains waiting for Italian parts sipping moonshine with the locals

ye engine tension bearing and a started going in the middle of a road trip is the kind of stuff id like to avoid.

just came back from NC and the bike ran great all week, not a single issue, but can just imagine getting stranded in the mountains waiting for Italian parts sipping moonshine with the locals

The starter died locally, thankfully. I would have been up a creek if that had gone while I was touring. Fortunately, the starter doesn't just die. If gives you a couple of weeks of hints that it's about to go!

FWIW, despite all the problems I've had with my bike, I've never had to wait for parts (except for the starter). I guess everything that has gone on my bike were expected wearable, and stocked at the shop. Also, I don't care to have OEM parts on my bike. If there's something else that works and is compatible, I'm going to get it (e.g. clutch). The starter was the only part that I had to wait for. Fortunately, I found new one in the USA for 25% the cost of an OEM starter, so I bought it. I had to wait about 2 weeks for delivery.

Last edited:
I have a 796 monster. The tensioner bearings seem to be a common wear item. One of mine blew at around 12k km. Had no idea that it blew, just that I heard a tingling metallic sound, but cldnt source it. Probably drove another 5000km with only one tensioner holding the vertical belt lol. I was lucky and stupid at the same time because I maintain my bikes very well. But it was coincidence that i had dropped a small washer into the engine cooling fins and figured it was that making noise. Another common wear item I noticed is the front sprocket retaining clip wears out pretty fast, I've replaced it twice now. Other than that i am at 26 K km now and it's running strong.
Not sure on the longevity though.

engine tension bearings

This one is kind of a known issue with this era of Monster. Mine went around 24k km, but I recognized something wasn't sounding right and got it sorted. I have 35,000km on my 696 and besides that, no issues. Just kept up with regular maintenance.

The starter died locally, thankfully. I would have been up a creek if that had gone while I was touring.

Your bike doesn't bump start well? I know, that's not ideal, but it normally isn't hard to find a slope to stop at the top of.

Ur just looking for an excuse to change bikes. I'm sure she will do over 100k km no issue.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Ur just looking for an excuse to change bikes. I'm sure she will do over 100k km no issue.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Aprillia riders need not apply..............carry on son ;-)

Cam belts should be replaced at regular intervals I believe - check the owner's manual.

Your bike doesn't bump start well? I know, that's not ideal, but it normally isn't hard to find a slope to stop at the top of.

It doesn't at all. Tried many times (even had a couple of guys push the bike to get some speed into it), but when you release the clutch, the rear tire just locks up every time.

It doesn't at all. Tried many times (even had a couple of guys push the bike to get some speed into it), but when you release the clutch, the rear tire just locks up every time.

Try bump starting in second or third gear. First is too steep and that is why the tire locks up.

some bike with fuel injection will not bump start, you could roll it down Everest.

Good to know. Never had a bike that tempermental about starting. Hell, I push started my vw in a level parking lot by pushing on the drivers door and jumping in. I figured if the tdi would fire at 5 km/h, any modern bike should be no problem.

You need to do the old side saddle trick. Jump onto the pillion seat and while you are coming down, let the clutch out. This gets an extra 50+ pounds on your rear tire. I used to have to do that when bump starting my old honda on a gravel road.

Last edited:
You need to do the old side saddle trick. Jump onto the pillion seat and while you are coming down, let the clutch out. This gets an extra 50+ pounds on your rear tire. I used to have to do that when bump starting my old honda on a gravel road.

Good luck with that on a high compression, high cc v-twin sport bike...
Anything near a litre bike will happily skid the rear tire along in 3rd gear while trying a bump start.

Good luck with that on a high compression, high cc v-twin sport bike...
Anything near a litre bike will happily skid the rear tire along in 3rd gear while trying a bump start.

Sounds like it's best we all get a 125. Those things can jump start even when you're not trying to.

mbroyda, sell your multistrada and get a cbr125!

Back
Top Bottom