10,000km service. Anything I am forgetting? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

10,000km service. Anything I am forgetting?

Flush the coolant, i wouldnt wait 5 years, its usually fairly simple. Flush the brake fluid front and back if its not a light honey color, shouldnt need to bleed it if done properly. Pull the plugs and see how they are and put a new filter in if needed. Lube pivot points, check chain slack and you should be good to go.

Seems like a reasonable checklist. I'm a little tentative with stuff like this because it's so important to get right the first time. Either way it'll get done.

Thank you for the detailed post, appreciate it.

The only thing I'm positive needs to be done is the brake fluid. It's black, zero transparency.

Bikes a 2012.

Brake fluid will absorb water over time leading to erratic feeling brakes due to heat expansion. If the color of your fluid is black, it may be due to some other problem, like a home mechanic who contaminated it somehow. You can change it of you want, after all it has been 4 years and you get some peace of mind.

Breaks bled / new fluid - Recommended. Throw some braided lines on if not on already while you're at it.
Coolant flush / new fluid - Not really necessary unless you're having an overheating issue. Dead simple and cheap to do if you want to.
New sprockets and chain - Check them but they should not be worn out at 10k.
New plugs - Check them but they should not need replacing at 10k.
New air filter - Recommended. Mine gets super dirty in way less than 10k.

Thank you for the detailed post, appreciate it.

The only thing I'm positive needs to be done is the brake fluid. It's black, zero transparency.

Bikes a 2012.
Still running the stock rubber line?

I don't have a break bleeder kit and honestly i just don't have the time to do all this right now. I work 70+ hour weeks and the rest of the time is spent sleeping and spending time with my daughter. I rather ride for the 5% of time i get to myself.
All you need is an 8mm wrench, a piece of hose, and a bottle. No fancy **** required.

Last edited:
What bike do you have?

Did you get an owners manual with it? Check the manual.

Otherwise, you'll be dealing with blinker fluid, and nut that holds the handlebars comments.

You don't know what bike Drennan57 rides? You're not from around here are you?

Lolz I was thinking the same thing

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

Yeah Baggzy is slacking, this knowledge is well archived :D.

Anyways just wanted to thank everyone who chimed in. Probably saved me some NOOB tax when all is said and done.

I don't have a break bleeder kit and honestly i just don't have the time to do all this right now. I work 70+ hour weeks and the rest of the time is spent sleeping and spending time with my daughter. I rather ride for the 5% of time i get to myself.

I'm with you. Between work and family time I don't get much time to ride. I'm happy to drop it off, know it's done right, pick it up when it's done and save what little free time I do have to ride it rather than wrench it.

Yeah Baggzy is slacking, this knowledge is well archived :D.

Anyways just wanted to thank everyone who chimed in. Probably saved me some NOOB tax when all is said and done.

Why should I sweat the details, when the owner should obviously know his own bike, and have a manual.

Besides, I don't believe that either of you know either, or you would have mentioned it. :p

All I know is that on page 6-4 in my owner's manual there is a maintenance chart.

Why should I sweat the details, when the owner should obviously know his own bike, and have a manual.

Besides, I don't believe know either, that either of you or you would have mentioned it. :p

All I know is that on page 6-4 in my owner's manual there is a maintenance chart.

It's in Jayells' sig line, that's how detail oriented I am. If you want to call yourself a GTAMer you would know that;)

Besides, I don't believe that either of you know either, or you would have mentioned it.

He may have mentioned a FZ6R in one post, or a hundred.

Apparently FZ6Rs don't come with owner's manuals with maintenance lists & intervals...guessing due to weight reduction or superiority of the bike. lol

Manual suggested replacing the spark plugs at 12000km. Get iridium ones. They last longer.

At the risk of stating the obvious, at 10k, are you still running OEM tires? If so and even if you're not down to the wear bars, at 4 years you probably want to switch them up.

Just don't ask here what tires you should be replacing with! :-|

Manual suggested replacing the spark plugs at 12000km. Get iridium ones. They last longer.
Just checked with my buddy Manuel. He agrees with everything you stated.

I think he said in another thread that it was a honda cbr600rr.....maybe I`m mistaken

I did have a CBR600F4I, but i wanted an upgrade ;)

I've always been under the assumption that stock rated plugs are the way to go, feel free to change that opinion if you want.

At the risk of stating the obvious, at 10k, are you still running OEM tires? If so and even if you're not down to the wear bars, at 4 years you probably want to switch them up.

Just don't ask here what tires you should be replacing with! :-|

No, second set. Front was new last season and i just put a new rear on a month ago. It did have the original Dunlop on the back when i got the bike tho, replaced it immediately.

Apparently FZ6Rs don't come with owner's manuals with maintenance lists & intervals...guessing due to weight reduction or superiority of the bike. lol

Good guess, it might be superior but it still has to be taken care of ;)

Besides, I don't believe that either of you know either, or you would have mentioned it. :p

This is my first season with the R and it didn't come with a manual. Who needs a manual when i''ve got you guys guiding me tho :)

Back
Top Bottom