Is Electric Motorcycles the future? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Is Electric Motorcycles the future?

Huh, that I did not know. I knew people said this about Ford, Cadillac and Buick, that the engine noise is speaker supplied. Well atleast my car noise is supplied by Mitsubishi build 999cc 0.9L Inline-3 lol
Are you 100% certain?

Fair enough. I forgot about the Leaf. Seems to get better mileage than Volt (Leaf 172km vs. Volt 85km) plus costs $6k cheaper. But I heard them saying they plan to cancel the gov. rebate since the gov. f upped and ended up giving rebates to the rich part of the population who were buying the fancy electric Porches

If anything, the government recently increased the rebate amounts to entice more people into electric cars, with the maximum rebate recently raised to $14K.

The change you may be thinking about is a rebate cap of $3K on electric cars with MSRPs of between $75K and $150K, and nothing for the $150K+ cars. The rationale is that government wants more "ordinary" people getting into electric cars, and for "ordinary" people the increased rebates will provide an affordability tipping factor in their choice to go electric or not.

For high-end electric cars, the people who buy those by and large don't need the carrot of a large rebate to make the choice affordable.

Isn't Ford and other big name US manufactures guilty of this? If i'm not mistaken Ford Edge Sport interior engine sound is actually being amplified, or so I heard on few reviews of that car and few other cars like Buick.

[h=1]The auto industry’s dirty little secret: Fake engine noise to make them sound ‘athletic and youthful”[/h]
"For the 2015 Mustang EcoBoost, Ford sound engineers and developers worked on an “Active Noise Control” system that amplifies the engine’s purr through the car speakers. Afterwards, the automaker surveyed members of Mustang fan clubs on which processed “sound concepts” they most enjoyed."

http://business.financialpost.com/news/transportation/the-auto-industrys-dirty-little-secret-fake-engine-noise

If anything, the government recently increased the rebate amounts to entice more people into electric cars, with the maximum rebate recently raised to $14K.

The change you may be thinking about is a rebate cap of $3K on electric cars with MSRPs of between $75K and $150K, and nothing for the $150K+ cars. The rationale is that government wants more "ordinary" people getting into electric cars, and for "ordinary" people the increased rebates will provide an affordability tipping factor in their choice to go electric or not.

For high-end electric cars, the people who buy those by and large don't need the carrot of a large rebate to make the choice affordable.

Fair enough. I don't follow government rebates. My car gets 500km on 94octane which costs me $40 so I can't really complain, other than lack of space and only being for 2 people lol

The auto industry’s dirty little secret: Fake engine noise to make them sound ‘athletic and youthful”

"For the 2015 Mustang EcoBoost, Ford sound engineers and developers worked on an “Active Noise Control” system that amplifies the engine’s purr through the car speakers. Afterwards, the automaker surveyed members of Mustang fan clubs on which processed “sound concepts” they most enjoyed."

http://business.financialpost.com/news/transportation/the-auto-industrys-dirty-little-secret-fake-engine-noise

Thats why you ignore all that techno bull and ride a Honda with them fart cans lol, sounds fast :D

If you want to grab some seat time on an electric motorcycle and get some first-hand knowledge, head to Ben's Motorcycles in Lakefield. They are a Zero Motorcycles dealer and are offering test rides on a drop in basis. I will be heading up sometime soon to give one a try. He also seems to be willing to let you test ride just about anything he has if you are semi-serious about buying.

If you want to grab some seat time on an electric motorcycle and get some first-hand knowledge, head to Ben's Motorcycles in Lakefield. They are a Zero Motorcycles dealer and are offering test rides on a drop in basis. I will be heading up sometime soon to give one a try. He also seems to be willing to let you test ride just about anything he has if you are semi-serious about buying.

Would be a bit of a trip for me coming from Brampton. I stick to YouTube reviews and online reviews from pros and owners. I love the idea behind Electrical Motorcycles, but I'm the type who would still go and get a VFR if I could afford one.

I'm a bit surprised that Tesla hasn't entered the electric bike market. Their California home turf is a pretty big market, and they probably have the most developed charging station infrastructure. Scooping up Mission Motorcycle for cheap, changing the charging connector to the Tesla variety, and slapping a Tesla nameplate on it would surely have put electric bikes on more people's radar.

I'm a bit surprised that Tesla hasn't entered the electric bike market. Their California home turf is a pretty big market, and they probably have the most developed charging station infrastructure. Scooping up Mission Motorcycle for cheap, changing the charging connector to the Tesla variety, and slapping a Tesla nameplate on it would surely have put electric bikes on more people's radar.

I recall Lightning Motorcycles trying to get rights to use Tesla's proprietary charging algorithms, that way people who own Tesla cars could charge there Lighting motorcycles with same charger and at many of Tesla stations. The Lightning LS-218 looks way way way way way better then Mission RS. But I guess Tesla isn't interested in that, there big company so they can always buy out different company who will handle the Motorcycle side instead of building the tech from zero.

LS218_specs_new.jpg

Of course electric propulsion/drive train is the future ... how do I know? There's really nothing else on the very far horizon.

Of course electric propulsion/drive train is the future ... how do I know? There's really nothing else on the very far horizon.
Hydrogen fuel cell. Honda has had the FCX Clarity car for years now. I think Toyota now also has one. Fill time as fast as petrol fuel. Similar driving range. H2O exhaust. I think there are cold weather challenges, but otherwise it seems pretty promising. Not sure why it hasn't gained more traction.

Hydrogen fuel cell. Honda has had the FCX Clarity car for years now. I think Toyota now also has one. Fill time as fast as petrol fuel. Similar driving range. H2O exhaust. I think there are cold weather challenges, but otherwise it seems pretty promising. Not sure why it hasn't gained more traction.

Problem is Hydrogen has to be manufactured, Hydrogen gas is not like oil. Hydrogen cells are similar to batteries really. Plus doing some reading such cars would require rare materials to be used in order to manufacture them. It's similar as companies claiming cars can run on H2O by splitting the Hydrogen, which isn't an easy process and requires energy given the fact that H2O bonds are perfect as far as Physics and Atoms are concerned. Bio-fuel has a great potential if we don't murder our food supply by making Bio-fuel. But in the end even Bio-fuel still will kill us :D...

Only possibility in the future? Well hopefully technology can be powered by small scale reactors that won't cause Class 9 meltdown.

Last edited:

Who knows, we may get them teleporters like in Star Trek killing need for cars.

Also, need to get a distribution network for that.

Electricity is already everywhere so adds to the convenience.

Also, need to get a distribution network for that.
True, but it shouldn't be any more challenging than the current setup like propane cylinders at service stations, and normal fuel distribution.

Electricity is already everywhere so adds to the convenience.
The electricity is everywhere, but the charging stations still need to be setup. Sure, you can juice at home if you install a convenient 220V outlet, but a road trip will require available filling/charging station infrastructure too.

True, but it shouldn't be any more challenging than the current setup like propane cylinders at service stations, and normal fuel distribution.

The electricity is everywhere, but the charging stations still need to be setup. Sure, you can juice at home if you install a convenient 220V outlet, but a road trip will require available filling/charging station infrastructure too.
Yup definitely need an infrastructure... but the distribution network for hydrogen will require a different type of safety protocol (wouldnt it be more volatile? i actually dont know what im talking about and will admit it)

But propane is widely used, gas is widely used, hydrogen, not as much, so it would have to be ramped up, increasing the number of trucks on the road to distribute said hydrogen. Creating more traffic :p (ok far fetched but its something to consider)
I'm not saying its an unknown fuel to be distributed but its a lot less commonly used.

Back
Top Bottom