18 YEAR OLD GUY WITH M1 - is it worth it?? | GTAMotorcycle.com

18 YEAR OLD GUY WITH M1 - is it worth it??

SCampo98

Hi everyone,

First off I'd like to say that I am new to the forum and any input at all to my questions would be greatly appreciated. I am 18 years old with an M1 and I am off to university in September, meaning I need a way to get their. I have come to the conclusion that I would rather get their myself than use transit. As a result I have been looking at the cheapest reliable method to do so - scooters. I essentially have my mind set on an Aprilia SR Motard 50 scooter. My problems come though with insurance. I have not been able to find an online quote for the scooter. I am wondering if you guys would be able to give me a rough price range based on educated guesses and experience. I'm looking for a price range like $200-$500, $500-$1000, etc.

Another option I was thinking of was making my father the primary driver of the scooter. He would have to, and is willing to get his M1 and has been a G-licensed driver since 1983. I was wondering if doing this and adding myself as a secondary driver to the insurance line. If you guys could let me know how much you think the insurance would be, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all for your time, let me know what you think, and have a great day!

Steven C.

a) Instead of online quotes, get on the phone and talk to an agent or broker. It's the only way to get real numbers.

b) Don't opt for insurance fraud: Pretending someone else is the primary vehicle rider/driver when it's actually you. Get busted doing that and you'll have a hard time finding insurance in the future period, expensive or not. Additionally, an M1 is only valid for 90 days. To continue riding you are going to need to obtain an M2 or M2(L) (limited speed motorcycles); that will buy you 5 years...

Not sure if the Aprilia SR Motard 50 is rated as a "limited speed motorcycle"; if it is insurance may be affordable. Just call someone and ask.

I agree on both fronts. Don't waste your time with online quotes - get on the phone and call around.

And toss idea B out the window. It's not legit.

To clarify, are you looking for transportation to and from Toronto to Ottawa, or transportation in Ottawa from your room to campus? Ottawa is pretty snowy and bikes are not so good with the white stuff.

Witch university did ewe get in two? I want to go they're to? Most unis say I can't write for ****.

As pointed out option B is fraud, so if caught forget ever affording insurance again, same for your dad. You probably wouldn't save anything either, your dad is considered a new rider it doesn't matter how long he's driven an auto. His rate would only be lower because of his age, so him+you on the same policy will still be expensive, and that fraud business.

At 18 I don't know if you can insure any vehicle for under $1000? Also do you really want a 50cc scooter, stuck over on the right side with the bicycles? I wouldn't buy anything under 150-200cc for the road.

Back
Top Bottom