Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Replace any 2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Clean them

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

leitlang

Hi,
I just finally managed to get my plugs out of my Yamaha FZ1 - a physically impossible task if you have non-screwdriver arms. Here's how they look. Think they all need replacement? Do they tell you anything?
I've managed to get just two replacement plugs so far. Would love for them to suffice..
Thanks!
P.S. Looked at NGK's colour diagnosis guide and couldn't confidently place them in any category, hence the return to The Forum ;)
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20160522_172416.jpg
    IMG_20160522_172416.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 110
Would be easier to tell if we could see the insulators. See if you can get a close-up of the electrodes too; rounded-off edges are a sign the plugs need replacing.

FWIW, if you're this far into it, I'd just replace them. It's like pulling a clutch and wondering if you should reuse the release bearing: Instead of even considering reuse, just replace the thing.

What Blackfin said. Photograph them at a slight angle to show both the insulator and electrode:

e64bdaa5ee1e1e2b285abeb90bf53883.jpg

Would be easier to tell if we could see the insulators. See if you can get a close-up of the electrodes too; rounded-off edges are a sign the plugs need replacing.

FWIW, if you're this far into it, I'd just replace them. It's like pulling a clutch and wondering if you should reuse the release bearing: Instead of even considering reuse, just replace the thing.

Hope this helps.
I totally agree - I expect putting em back in to be a total pain - but with Victoria day tomorrow, getting more will take time, and I could only manage to get two from Canadian Tire.

attachment.php

I would've quoted both of you but I don't know how, sorry.

Attachments

• IMG_20160522_193022.jpg
    IMG_20160522_193022.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 87
Awesome!!! Thanks. I can ride again soon :)
Now that I got two - these are Iridium code CR9EIX instead of CR9EK that I currently use - should I put them in? (I mentioned the type in case the non-uniformity is significant)
And is there anything I should do about the leanness?

I wouldn't touch anything, they look perfectly fine. I just know that my bike sounds raspy and seems less powerful if I lean out the mixture so that the plugs look like yours. Unless you're unsatisfied with how your bike is running, don't mess with it.

I wouldn't mix them, but that's just me.

Listen to Brian, he's got way more experience than me in these matters.

I started all of todays various maintenance work because of the low rev "hesitation" I've been experiencing. At constant throttle, it tries to get going a couple times before feeling like it "catches" and running smoothly. Furthermore, I have also noticed the difference in engine note - to my ear it's sounding more like a cruiser, I didn't know whether to attach significance..

Which generation FZ1? Carbureted? What's the exhaust system - stock, or aftermarket? If stock, is the EXUP working? They're notorious for having the pivot bushings wear out.

If you have CR9EIX (iridium single electrode) go ahead and put them in. Same heat range as what you've got. You won't notice the difference.

Worn spark plugs can cause various starting and driveability issues but the spark plugs you had were not the cause. They're OK.

So you're getting surging under (attempted) steady speed cruising conditions? With that symptom, and with how your spark plugs look, it could be on the verge of lean misfire. Lean operation under such light load won't do any damage, it's just annoying.

Make sure you don't have any vacuum leaks. Make sure the rubber boots between the carbs and the engine are (a) sealing properly and (b) not cracked. Vacuum leaks will have the most effect at no load, or next to no load, on the engine.

If the bike has seen a period of storage with fuel in the carburetors, the slow jets could be partly clogged, which would lean out part-throttle operation. Some people have had luck with Seafoam or other such treatments. I've only had luck with actually removing the jets from the carbs and properly cleaning them out.

I think 3rd? It's an '09.
Not carbureted. Stock exhaust. I'm afraid I don't know what an EXUP is.
My air filter was also dirty, if that's relevant. And it's not at steady speed exactly, but steady throttle - while picking up speed, e.g. from each stop.
Do your vacuum-sealed comments still apply with my model?

Thought I'd give you an update - changed two, kept two; cleaned air filter; flushed radiator.
Everything is awesome! Working quite well. No more hesitation. If I had to guess, I'd attribute it to the filter.
Thanks so much for your help Brian, Matt, Blackfin - I was standing next to my bike refreshing this page as you guys came through for me.. Always grateful, impressed, and still surprised when GTAM comes through for me :)

Back
Top Bottom