Anything like the CB400SF in Canada? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anything like the CB400SF in Canada?

Anything like the CB400 Super Four in Canada?

https://imgur.com/a/wTg0Y

I saw this post on Reddit and now I'm in love with the bike. I didn't know Honda sold bikes like these. There must have been some sort of equivalent bike in Canada sold over the last few decades?

400cc with an inline 4 and damn VTEC engine, along with an awesome look. With how insurance is biased against large displacement SS bikes, this feels like the perfect solution for those of us that want the feel of an i4 without the associated costs.

The bike was designed to be compliant to licensing/limited displacement laws in Japan. Here in Ontario there are no official laws, but with insurance pricing people out, the end result may as well be the same, so we get the worst of both worlds: discouraged use of large bikes without the variety of offerings from manufacturers to compensate. So frustrating!

https://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/comments/4kdbph/update_cb400sf_limited_edition_1_week_1000/

Last edited:
The closest equivalent that we had here might be a Honda CB-1. Similar power, somewhat different styling. They are around, but I'm not sure if you can get them for a reasonable price anymore. There is also the odd Bandit 400 floating around, which is maybe closer in spirit to the bike you're talking about.

Who knows, maybe small I4s will be a thing here someday. Insurance is miserable right now, but there is still an interest in motorcycles. Sometimes all it takes is bringing a bike from one market to another.

There really is nothing in the fuel injection age. An I wouldn't hold my breath on a sub 400cc inline 4 being released here in the near future.

All of the companies have invested alot of R&D into today's 300cc class of bikes and for the most part they have been successful. A 400 I4 with a modern design would instantly hurt the class and probably kill it if the bike is similarly priced.

As much as I'd like one it won't happen here.

If you could find an older Hornet 599 that also might be about as close as you can get.

An inline-4 in that displacement range is not going to happen again. The cost of manufacturing an engine like that is dominated by tooling and labour with the cost of the materials almost insignificant. Costs very close to the same to build a 400cc 4cyl engine as it does to make a 1000cc 4cyl engine. The parts count is the same.

Only in Australia and Japan....wonderful bikes.

CBF600 is the closest perhaps in smaller displacement....its a CBR600RR detuned.

CBF1000 is the larger displacement in line 4 ( what I ride ) and there is only about 20 lb weight difference from the 600 but a lot of torque difference.. Good values around on the CBF1000.
It's under 500 lb with dual link brakes and ABS, low seat height ( adjustable ) and adjustable wind screen.

Brian is correct...you will not see that configuration in North America....it's done to satisfy Learner requirements for Japan and Australia while still offering a fun quick machine.

It's 50 lb lighter than the CBF1000...you get an awful lot of power for that 50 lb.

Last edited:
Your best bet is to find a Bandit 400, FZR400, CB-1, or CBR250RR....all which were imported into Canada between 1986-1993. But the issue is, they are as rare as hens teeth.

And if you need parts....youll spend a lot of time looking for parts vs finding them.

The 400 fours of the day weren't even big sellers when they were new...if memory serves (Brain can correct me) but the FZR400 was only $600 cheaper than the FZR600...so people figures spend the extra coin on the bigger bike (which is a mistake imo)

The days of smaller displacement I4's are gone and won't be coming back. With the Japanese building more and more mid to upper mid sized bikes with 1, 2 and 3 cylinders and achieving very respectable performance numbers with them they aren't going to go to all the expense of building a small I4 because the average consumer isn't going to pay $8,000-$10,000+ for a 400cc bike. If you aren't looking for a track bike, most of these street bikes are better all around performers anyway. Honda has the CBR650, NC750x and their CB(R)(F)(X) line which are selling like gangbusters. Suzuki has their 650 v-twins, Kawasaki has the 650 parallel twin in their ER6N, Ninja 650 and Versys 650 and that is a great motor for street riding. Yamaha has their parallel twin in the FZ7 and the triple in the FZ/FJ09 and XSR900. Fewer cylinders = fewer parts = less cost. With a few exceptions, it really isn't until you reach the larger displacement bikes where you see the I4's popping up. I think Yamaha still has the FZ6R with an I4 and Suzuki has a GSXS750 I4, but after that, most are litre bikes or bigger like the CB1100, GSX1250F, FZ10, Versys 1000, Z/Ninja 1000sx, and then the bigger ST bikes like the Concours and the FJR.

Honda CBR650F is about the closest you'll find in this market.

I like the 650F. I know it didn't wow anyone in comparisons and stuff but the bikes in this class are about versatility. Like a modern day F4I minus about 15hp.

I wouldn't trade my 6R for one but i imagine it would be a fine bike to own.

CB-1 are sweet bikes, i got 3 and looking for more :)

....CBR250RR....all which were imported into Canada between 1986-1993. But the issue is, they are as rare as hens teeth.
Tried to get a quote on a late 80's CBR250R (ad didn't even list the 2 R's, think it was the one that is slightly less desirable with slightly less HP) and my insurance company (The Personal) told me they class them as supersports and won't insure them. :(

Tried to get a quote on a late 80's CBR250R (ad didn't even list the 2 R's, think it was the one that is slightly less desirable with slightly less HP) and my insurance company (The Personal) told me they class them as supersports and won't insure them. :(

Find a different insurance company?

I got a quote on a CBR250RR and it was 897$/year

Back
Top Bottom