Dual sport tires | GTAMotorcycle.com

Dual sport tires

mxs

Site Supporter
What sort of dual sport tires would you guys recommend? Needs to work well enough in Ganaraska, yet be street legal and tolerable on pavement.

Front 21", rear 18" .... Hoping there will be a good few options available.

Thanks

It's not just a compound and life expectancy formula, you'd probably do best with replacing it with the same tire size and, unfortunately, not all tires come in all sizes.

What sizes are we looking at?

Kenda trackmasters. They wear good on the road, and are a full, DOT approved knobby that hook up well offroad. They're a little noisy on road, but worth it if you spend 50% or more of your time offroad.

Trakmasters give good grip offroad and especially in subzero temps however the wear is horrible on pavement as is the squirmy mushy feeling around every corner and road imperfection. I got about 1000km on my rear on a 270lb WR450F. I'm not an aggressive rider, pretty lightweight and lots of those kms was in the dead of winter with no heat to kill the knobs. No other non studded tire I've tried stick like them in -30 temps though.

To put things into perspective, I cruised home from GP Bikes to downtown Toronto on a new set of Trakmasters and by the time I got home, the knobs had already started to round.

I would definitely not be getting them again unless my donor was a 90 dirt/10 street bike.

I've had nothing but good luck with them then I guess. They wear faster than a typical street tire, but I got 2500k kms outta them easy. Like I said though, only if you intend to be offroad more often than not. I found them to be very good with cornering, and on wet roads. First time I got caught in the rain, I thought I was going to ended going down on a corner. But guickly learned, for a full on, aggressive knobby, they've got good on road grip. YMMV I guess.

Pirelli MT 21
Metzler Karoo 3

Shinko 705's for mostly pavement, 804/805's for mostly off-road. Cheap, durable and they stick pretty good.

Im at the end of the life of my avon gripsters. Well the end of the rear. Got 15k+ km out of them and never once had an issue with loss of traction off road (never did heavy mud or sand though) and never lost confidence in them on road. On my klr so 21"/17". Front still has lots of life left too so its a shame the back is doneski. Picked up shinko 705s to try now, mostly because of price point. If price was no object I'd be trying heidenau k60 scouts

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I'm currently running a tkc80 front and a Shinko 805 rear. Excellent road manners from both, very good off road. Only about 1500km on them so far but no real signs of wear yet. This is on a versys 650. They are about the most knobby like tire you can get for the big bikes.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

I'm currently running a tkc80 front and a Shinko 805 rear. Excellent road manners from both, very good off road. Only about 1500km on them so far but no real signs of wear yet. This is on a versys 650. They are about the most knobby like tire you can get for the big bikes.

Jeremy, how is the 805 rear on wet roads?

I just got a set of 804/805 for the wee, but I have only mounted and not just used the 804.... 805 is still wrapped new. I have a kenda big block on the Vstrom rear now... and it is slippery on wet roads. It does okay in sand and mud though.

I picked up the Trackmasters .... It will be learning experience for sure. I am not sure at this point what my typical riding month off-road will look like. It might be I will spend more time on-road than off-road. I will try different tires for sure.

Thanks for all the tips and your experiences.

Jeremy, how is the 805 rear on wet roads?

I just got a set of 804/805 for the wee, but I have only mounted and not just used the 804.... 805 is still wrapped new. I have a kenda big block on the Vstrom rear now... and it is slippery on wet roads. It does okay in sand and mud though.
I've only used them in one very light rain so far. They were fine then, we'll see about heavier rain at some point. Pretty happy with them, especially at $128 shipped.

Back
Top Bottom