Clutch cable with no tension | GTAMotorcycle.com

Clutch cable with no tension

jameszx6r

I just bought a new clutch cable for 2007 zx6r and after attaching everything properly and adjusting the tension on both ends It still barely engages the clutch I have watched numerous YouTube videos and still can't get it to work properly. What else could it be??? Any have this problem before ??? Any insight is greatly appreciated !!!

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

I just bought a new clutch cable for 2007 zx6r and after attaching everything properly and adjusting the tension on both ends It still barely engages the clutch I have watched numerous YouTube videos and still can't get it to work properly. What else could it be??? Any have this problem before ??? Any insight is greatly appreciated !!!

Pull the clutch cover off and have a look - likely something inside has come adrift.
Doe it have aftermarket levers or perches ? Sometimes that can cause a problem.

Pull the clutch cover off and have a look - likely something inside has come adrift.
Doe it have aftermarket levers or perches ? Sometimes that can cause a problem.
Yeah that's going to be my next step. Does have after market levels doesnt seem to be anything wrong with them their pretty new
Thanks

Is the arm on the clutch cover being pulled fully?

What do you mean by "barely engages the clutch"? Do you mean that when you pull the lever the clutch is not fully releasing or when you release the lever the clutch is still slipping?

What prompted the clutch cable replacement? Was it working fine before the cable was replaced?

How much free-play do you have in the lever?

When I replaced the clutch cable on my Fazer (fraying badly up at the lever) I noted that there was provision for adjustment roughly half-way down the cable. Hard to get to when the cable is run within the frame but I needed to adjust that to get the lever adjuster at a reasonable set point.

What do you mean by "barely engages the clutch"? Do you mean that when you pull the lever the clutch is not fully releasing or when you release the lever the clutch is still slipping?

What prompted the clutch cable replacement? Was it working fine before the cable was replaced?

When I replaced the clutch cable on my Fazer (fraying badly up at the lever) I noted that there was provision for adjustment roughly half-way down the cable. Hard to get to when the cable is run within the frame but I needed to adjust that to get the lever adjuster at a reasonable set point.
I cannot get any tension to the cable and when I think it's in a good spot I start my bike in neutral and as soon as I put it in first it's stalls very hard

Lots of play at the lever does t matter which way I adjust it from

Sounds like either the wrong cable or wrong installation. If the right cable is installed correctly, you should have tension and the arm at the clutch should be pulled through it's range of motion.

Sounds like either the wrong cable or wrong installation. If the right cable is installed correctly, you should have tension and the arm at the clutch should be pulled through it's range of motion.
It's the right cable for sure I made sure of that at the dealership. And for installation i watched so many you tube videos and it's a very straight forward job hard to do wrong is why it leads me to think it's not the cable that's the issue

It's the right cable for sure I made sure of that at the dealership. And for installation i watched so many you tube videos and it's a very straight forward job hard to do wrong is why it leads me to think it's not the cable that's the issue

How did you make sure? compared it to the old one, or the parts guy said this is it? even if it's close, a difference of as little as a centimetre in the housing vs cable length will cause an issue.

How did you make sure? compared it to the old one, or the parts guy said this is it? even if it's close, a difference of as little as a centimetre in the housing vs cable length will cause an issue.
When they brought it out I asked them again this is for the zx6r 2007 they said yes and it is that exact same size as the old one

Well if you're 100% sure it's right, time use the life line and call a friend ;)

Jokes aside, there's really not much to it. But I feel like the actual cable is going to be to long in relation to the housing as the design doesnt really allow improper installation. Maybe take a pic at both ends and post it up to verify its installed right. If everyone thinks it looks ok, cable will be the issue.

Well if you're 100% sure it's right, time use the life line and call a friend ;)

Jokes aside, there's really not much to it. But I feel like the actual cable is going to be to long in relation to the housing as the design doesnt really allow improper installation. Maybe take a pic at both ends and post it up to verify its installed right. If everyone thinks it looks ok, cable will be the issue.
Yeah will do for sure thanks for the input appreciate it

There are two adjustments , one in the clutch cover and second on the clutch lever perch

You prob need to adjust the adjustor by the clutch cover to pull the cable more out / in

There are two adjustments , one in the clutch cover and second on the clutch lever perch

You prob need to adjust the adjustor by the clutch cover to pull the cable more out / in
Yeah I have adjusted it on both ends and I still can't get any tension

Check the orientation of how it pulls the lever by the clutch cover

Did you pull the arm off the clutch release shaft on the gearbox when removing the cable and, if so, did you mark the parts before dissassembly and did you re-install it in exactly the same orientation.

Did you pull the arm off the clutch release shaft on the gearbox when removing the cable and, if so, did you mark the parts before dissassembly and did you re-install it in exactly the same orientation.
Yes everything was put back the exact same way that I made sure of

Where are you located ?

Back
Top Bottom