Why are charges dropped? Mike Duffy and PAmela Whalen | GTAMotorcycle.com

Why are charges dropped? Mike Duffy and PAmela Whalen

-D-

Banned
Okay, what are we missing here.

Why did we spend tax $$$ for investigations etc... and to bring charges only to drop it all because the Crown withdraws the charges citing not enough evidence to convict?

Okay, what are we missing here.

Why did we spend tax $$$ for investigations etc... and to bring charges only to drop it all because the Crown withdraws the charges citing not enough evidence to convict?

Because the election is over. They needed to pretend they were doing something prior to the election, but can't ruin the golden chamber. They need a location they can shove their friends to pay them forever to do nothing.

Pretty straight forward here. The crown went to court first with the Duffy case and its strong evidence. Even that wasn't enough to rise to the level of criminality beyond a reasonable doubt in the court's eye with a high power defense lawyer. Shows just how terrible and loose the senate has been run.

Since the crown lost with Duffy, they saw no reasonable grounds for conviction with Wallin. No charges.

Doesn't mean they are innocent per se. But a lack of any accountability certainly trolls the depths of disappointment with most.

WRT the Duffy trial , comments inferred from Tkachuk during trial and after the trial directly are very contradictory. Yet he was never brought in to testify directly by the crown as a witness. Optics = very bad. Some may infer the fix was in to help the senator's cause.

Last edited:
The senate rules on expenses are a hundred years old and the grey areas are greyer than grey. The Crown did a really poor job of locking down charges for which you could get a conviction...... Again. And its not the first time the RCMP have been on the wrong end of a political charge.
No sense going after Wallin and pissing another million bucks up a tree, she's now consulting a lawyer on how to collect on her suspension from senate since no charges followed , she'll settle quietly out of court for about a million, her tarnished credibility and all that.

In about 3 yrs Gian Ghomeshi will be appointed to the senate.

The entire thing was and continues to be ridiculous.

-The audit that started all this cost tax payers 20M and change, it found 1M in questionable spending.
-The Duffy trial likely also cost the tax payers seven figures with no conviction.
-Rules were vague and Duffy (and others) even asked for clarification long ago, and got none.
-Because Duffy won it is VERY unlikely anyone else will be convicted and also unlikely much of the above mentioned million will be paid back.
-We have wasted enough money already.

What should have happened, just tighten up the rules and make them start the day the audit started. NO audit (20+M saved), no Duffy trial--millions saved, etc... No witch hunts, just here are the rules starting today.

There was a simple solution, the government at the time chose not to take it. Maybe we should take it now.

Charges dropped because dust has settled, people have moved on to other news and not much taxpayers money left to burn on these stupid Micky Mouse games.....no one cares about any crimes that may have been committed by those.

It's all a charade. Who really thinks the investigation and charges were brought on behalf of the citizen ergo taxpayer? It's laughable. It's about optics and a convenient make work program.

It was all about bringing down the Harper government. The Liberal media (CBC, Toronto Red Star) created a scandal out of virtually nothing. Harper got duped into taking action. Duffy and Walen did nothing wrong.

I wouldn't say they did nothing wrong, they are both uber *******. But they did nothing illegal. The senate rules allow a fair latitude if you want to work the system and enjoy a lot of side benefits.

These news stories are a boon for me because I don't need to know any of the relevant facts to make a cogent comment. And if my comment is not cogent I don't know the difference. And if the difference is pointed out to me I can argue back because it's all opinions anyway. Whether the opinions are informed or uninformed doesn't seem to matter. Define "seem"? Sure, I can do that.

These news stories are a boon for me because I don't need to know any of the relevant facts to make a cogent comment. And if my comment is not cogent I don't know the difference. And if the difference is pointed out to me I can argue back because it's all opinions anyway. Whether the opinions are informed or uninformed doesn't seem to matter. Define "seem"? Sure, I can do that.

2416c82c501af5c26ba391076430609a.jpg

It's all a charade. Who really thinks the investigation and charges were brought on behalf of the citizen ergo taxpayer? It's laughable. It's about optics and a convenient make work program.

Sometimes the system works if it makes people think, help them realize the negative consequences they may face in the near future and help save them and others on the road.

Last edited:
Like speeding tickets?

Sometimes the system works if it makes people think, help them realize the negative consequences they may face in the near future and help save them and others on the road.

We are not talking about kids here. We are also wasting TAX $$$.
These are grown professional people that spent their careers covering the same things they were charged with.
Start attaching jail time and watch how quickly things run smoothly.

Back
Top Bottom