Failure to produce ownership/insurance...what do you guys think? | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Failure to produce ownership/insurance...what do you guys think?

So, like I said, request a court date, produce valid insurance and it should be squashed.

Im guilty of what? In this case the punishment doesn't fit the crime. I have paid to have my vehicle fully insured and registered. I simply did not have the paperwork to prove that fact. But I was riding legally. If you truly feel that I should not even make a 5 minute meeting with a prosecutor to demonstrate the fact that at the time I was indeed riding an insured and legal vehicle, then you need to go move to North Korea. You'd fit right in with your obedient attitude

You're guilty of what the majority of the posts in this thread has already pointed out - how you don't seem to understand this is unreal.

Yes, you can book a trial and hope that they're nice enough to let you off with a warning, but lets be clear here - you did break a very specific law and are guilty of it.

Can you get off? Sure, you might...

You're guilty of what the majority of the posts in this thread has already pointed out - how you don't seem to understand this is unreal.

Yes, you can book a trial and hope that they're nice enough to let you off with a warning, but lets be clear here - you did break a very specific law and are guilty of it.

Can you get off? Sure, you might...

I understand exactly what I'm guilty of. My comment was more of an abstract one in reference to the moral claims of Meme. Didn't mean to confuse...

I obviously realize that I am unequivocally guilty of an HTA offense. I didn't have my paperwork on me. It's cut and dry. I'm not a moron.

Just looking for other's experiences with the prosecutor on this charge. That's all

Last edited:
I understand exactly what I'm guilty of. My comment was more of an abstract one in reference to the moral claims of Meme. Didn't mean to confuse...

I obviously realize that I am unequivocally guilty of an HTA offense. I didn't have my paperwork on me. It's cut and dry. I'm not a moron.

Just looking for other's experiences with the prosecutor on this charge. That's all

I recall speaking with someone years ago with the same charge - they let him off of the insurance one i believe, but the other one he had to pay.

Im guilty of what? In this case the punishment doesn't fit the crime. I have paid to have my vehicle fully insured and registered. I simply did not have the paperwork to prove that fact. But I was riding legally. If you truly feel that I should not even make a 5 minute meeting with a prosecutor to demonstrate the fact that at the time I was indeed riding an insured and legal vehicle, then you need to go move to North Korea. You'd fit right in with your obedient attitude

You were riding a properly licensed and insured vehicle, but had no way to demonstrate that. Police may not be able to access that information immediately, so you are required to have hard copy. If you are in a collision, you are required to present that information to the other party. If you don't have it, you cannot do so. The fines are set to a relatively low amount for the infractions with which you were charged.

Look at it this way: The officer could have charged you with uninsured operation of a vehicle, which carries a fine of $5,000.00 to $25,000.00 for a first offence, then told you to work it out in court.

If the only punishment was the fine I'd be right there on the pulpit with you preaching the gospel of personal responsibility. :) But, the whole thing falls apart when insurance comes into play. Now, we have an additional penalty all out of proportion to the original. The reason the I and many others advocate fighting every ticket.

As others have said, get a first attendance meeting and the chances are very high your ticket will be thrown out. Been there done that... :)

Nope, some of us know we are damned guilty, pay to play.

Never fought a ticket in my life, I have deserved EVERY one. I know the law and willingly broke it. So when caught I cannot fight it.

I've never had a trumped up ticket though, if I wasn't guilty I'd fight like hell.

OP is guilty.

In the days when I first started driving there were a number of offences that gave the cop a little leeway.
Burned out headlight, no ownership or insurance would be written up.
But if you went to the police station within 24 hours with the light repaired or the documentation, the ticket was cancelled.
It was simpler time perhaps. People didn't drive without insurance, or at least not in the numbers they do today.

Back on topic.
A number of people have shared their experience when charged with these offences.
They asked for a pre-trial, produced the documents and the charges were dropped.

I think that the copper stating that your plate "is not perfectly straight" is valid in this case.

1zwlwyc.jpg

lol pretty sure your plate has to be visible from behind, not from a helicopter

Those asking about showing a digital copy of licence/registration/insurance on the phone, do you really want to hand your unlocked phone to a police officer to take back to their vehicle? Just because you think you have nothing to hide doesn't mean you should grant access to your life to the police.
I thought about that before I posted the questeion, but I really don't have anything to hide.
I've handed over my phone to CBSA for proof of purchasing items and bringing them back across the border.

In today's technology, where I can read bar codes with my phone, buy stuff and have the cashier scan the receipt on my phone, and possibly use my phone as a digital wallet, why shouldn't the law move towards a legal e-copy, or at least advising LEO that it's an acceptable alternative?

Heck, once you find the picture of your insurance, use it as the "lock out" screen saver on your phone before you hand it over, that way the LEO only have access to the one picture.

Those asking about showing a digital copy of licence/registration/insurance on the phone, do you really want to hand your unlocked phone to a police officer to take back to their vehicle? Just because you think you have nothing to hide doesn't mean you should grant access to your life to the police.

Send the image via Bluetooth or hell email/text message.

Government and technologies never mix really except the army...they seem to understand.

If you're looking for a technology solution, you shouldn't need to show anything. The lookup on your plate in CPIC should show 'insured' or 'not-insured' from MTO database (with feeds from insurance co's). With a paper slip as an exception for new coverage (driving before the overnight batch/sync).Hmmm wy don't they do that now wth the reg, slips - that's just MTO, not even link to the insurers...

Some states don't have insurance slips - customers have to request a slip specially for driving through Ontario/Canada,

Sorry just catching up from hospital. To the latest question, can you provide a digital copy on your phone. The simple answer is no. That isn't to say some cop, "may" accept it. the reasoning, (I asked MTO in reference to ATV documents, to prevent them from getting destroyed when your balls deep in the mud)...is a "digital copy" can easily be "manipulated" etc. Most don't have the ability to fool a cops eye on an actual "pink slip".

It's amazing to see how much trouble ensuring two pieces of paper are with you when riding/driving, actually is.

"I have to carry paper? What do you mean two???"
(first world problems at it's finest)

It's amazing to see how much trouble ensuring two pieces of paper are with you when riding/driving, actually is.

"I have to carry paper? What do you mean two???"
(first world problems at it's finest)

lol... I rarely carry cash.

If you're looking for a technology solution, you shouldn't need to show anything. The lookup on your plate in CPIC should show 'insured' or 'not-insured' from MTO database (with feeds from insurance co's). With a paper slip as an exception for new coverage (driving before the overnight batch/sync).Hmmm wy don't they do that now wth the reg, slips - that's just MTO, not even link to the insurers...

Some states don't have insurance slips - customers have to request a slip specially for driving through Ontario/Canada,

This.

Personally, I keep ownership & insurance in my jacket, and another insurance slip in both my wallet and in the car...that way I am always likely to have at least 1 copy on me.

Personally, I keep ownership & insurance in my jacket, and another insurance slip in both my wallet and in the car...that way I am always likely to have at least 1 copy on me.
This.

@hedo2002 use a ziplock?

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom