Failure to produce ownership/insurance...what do you guys think? | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Failure to produce ownership/insurance...what do you guys think?

Slightly damp is the worst it ever got. It's behind the liner. Or put it in a little baggie.....just make sure there's no white powder when you pull it out. :)

Either way still better to have than not.

Sorry just catching up from hospital. To the latest question, can you provide a digital copy on your phone. The simple answer is no. That isn't to say some cop, "may" accept it. the reasoning, (I asked MTO in reference to ATV documents, to prevent them from getting destroyed when your balls deep in the mud)...is a "digital copy" can easily be "manipulated" etc. Most don't have the ability to fool a cops eye on an actual "pink slip".

Not trying to offend you but that entire reasoning is stupid as hell; the same applies to a paper/hard copy.

And @ the "first world problems" ********. Why don't we just stick to using bicycles? Or hell, why'd we stop using typewriters? I'm not saying it is hard to carry your legal documents on you (I've never had an issue with it) but it isn't hard to objectively look at it and state the system is inefficient which, frankly, most government systems are.

Did you know a ton of government (including police) equipment still run Windows XP? XP's EOL was in 2014. There are a ton of security vulnerabilities I found by just Googling them. It would not take very long to locate a government computer with XP, get in remotely, and see how far through the intranet it'd take you.

Hell, go behind a VPN, use some bots to execute the attack, and no one would know where the attack came from.

...but hey, no one's that evil right?

Not trying to offend you but that entire reasoning is stupid as hell. We've always needed a paper/hard copy. If someone can't be bothered to have it, and check/double check that it's on them. Why oh why, should the police be bothered trying to do it for them? We aren't little children anymore.
油井緋色;2417533 said:
Not trying to offend you but that entire reasoning is stupid as hell; the same applies to a paper/hard copy. And @ the "first world problems" ********. Why don't we just stick to using bicycles? Or hell, why'd we stop using typewriters? I'm not saying it is hard to carry your legal documents on you (I've never had an issue with it) but it isn't hard to objectively look at it and state the system is inefficient which, frankly, most government systems are. Did you know a ton of government (including police) equipment still run Windows XP? XP's EOL was in 2014. There are a ton of security vulnerabilities I found by just Googling them. It would not take very long to locate a government computer with XP, get in remotely, and see how far through the intranet it'd take you. Hell, go behind a VPN, use some bots to execute the attack, and no one would know where the attack came from. ...but hey, no one's that evil right?

Well my latest ins. slip was sent electronically to be printed by me. A digital copy can be manipulated and then printed.

I am aware that some insurance companies, (especially with a new policy) will send the documents via email, so as to not prevent the client from using the vehicle. Even a hard copy can be "altered". I was merely passing on the MTO "official" position on the issue of having your insurance slip on your smart phone. He simply said that MTO position is that it is not valid proof as such the driver/rider is exposing themselves to a charge.

I always carry all my documents on all vehciles with me, cage, bike and ATV, (sealed as suggested in a ziplock bag). It really hasn't been a terrible burden, in the almost 40 years since I first got my driver's licence.

A valid insurance slip has to be pink so if you get it via email, must be printed in colour for it to be valid so my insurance company tells me. At the end of the day, this is redundant as cops will know right away if the vehicle has valid insurance or not. The MTO and police have instant access to all the insurance data bank to verify valid insurance instantly........

A valid insurance slip has to be pink so if you get it via email, must be printed in colour for it to be valid so my insurance company tells me. At the end of the day, this is redundant as cops will know right away if the vehicle has valid insurance or not. The MTO and police have instant access to all the insurance data bank to verify valid insurance instantly........

Really? Care to provide links to your claims that MTO and Police have "instant access to all insurance data banks" This I gotta see.

In this day and age, they "should". That they "don't" is quite another matter.

In this day and age, there "should" be no reason to carry any paperwork at all (except perhaps if you are in remote areas with no cell phone service or are out of province). The VIN of your vehicle is tied to its ownership status and that's tied to the license plate number and that's tied to whether you've paid up your registration and whether there's a valid insurance policy in effect. It's all on computers somewhere.

If the MoT's view is that a digital file can be manipulated ... I've got a nice colour laser printer in my office that can print out any file that I care to manipulate!

and by the way, I use a ziplock bag with a redundant copy in my wallet. The insurance company sends me multiple copies of each vehicle's insurance; might as well make use of them. One stays with the vehicle, another stays with me.

You might want to qualify this statement.

You might want to qualify this statement.

There is not way to qualify this statement. I actually just had a discussions with a current OPP officer about this, they can see all of your information, insurance policy number etc, but they cannot identify if it is indeed valid real time.

Sorry, but the police have no such access. It was deemed a violation of the policy holder's privacy when the cops asked for it.
You are given the pink slip by your insurance company to prove you have valid insurance.
Because your licence and registration records are kept by the Province, the cops have access to these.
Indeed, the cop has access to your insurance policy number because you have to supply the company name and policy number when you first register the vehicle and for renewal stickers.
But there is no data available regarding that policy still being valid.

Last edited:
Well my latest ins. slip was sent electronically to be printed by me. A digital copy can be manipulated and then printed.

Paint is hard.

The HTA basically reads that you have to provide the original document however if you are emailed and print out an insurance card I would argue that that card becomes the "original" and isn't a copy.

There is no requirement in the act for it to be "pink".

Operator to carry insurance card
3. (1) An operator of a motor vehicle on a highway shall have in the motor vehicle at all times,
(a) an insurance card for the motor vehicle; or
(b) an insurance card evidencing that the operator is insured under a contract of automobile insurance,
and the operator shall surrender the insurance card for reasonable inspection upon the demand of a police officer.

The HTA basically reads that you have to provide the original document however if you are emailed and print out an insurance card I would argue that that card becomes the "original" and isn't a copy.

There is no requirement in the act for it to be "pink".

Operator to carry insurance card
3. (1) An operator of a motor vehicle on a highway shall have in the motor vehicle at all times,
(a) an insurance card for the motor vehicle; or
(b) an insurance card evidencing that the operator is insured under a contract of automobile insurance,
and the operator shall surrender the insurance card for reasonable inspection upon the demand of a police officer.

Compulsory Insurance Act of Ontario 8.(1) https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/90c25

"Certify in a form approved by the Superintendent that the motor vehicle is insured under a contract of automobile insurance."

That "approved form" in Ontario is still a pink slip. http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.ibaa.ca/resource/resmgr/NewsInsTechnology/CSIOeSlipsAdvisoryReport.pdf

Compulsory Insurance Act of Ontario 8.(1) https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/90c25

"Certify in a form approved by the Superintendent that the motor vehicle is insured under a contract of automobile insurance."

That "approved form" in Ontario is still a pink slip. http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.ibaa.ca/resource/resmgr/NewsInsTechnology/CSIOeSlipsAdvisoryReport.pdf

The links you provided aren't actually law (the portions that say it must be a pink card). The latter in particular is simply an interpretation of the law; no different from my interpretation above.

The reality will make itself evident when someone eventually gets charged for showing a printed card and it winds its way through the court system.

The links you provided aren't actually law (the portions that say it must be a pink card). The latter in particular is simply an interpretation of the law; no different from my interpretation above.

The reality will make itself evident when someone eventually gets charged for showing a printed copy and it winds its way through the court system.

The difference between "your" interpretation and decades-long government interpretation is that the government's interpretation of the approved form has been upheld by the courts for decades.

The difference between "your" interpretation and decades-long government interpretation is that the government's interpretation of the approved form has been upheld by the courts for decades.

Cute, but no. Also I wouldn't categorize an advisory committee as "the government", but your interpretation of that paper is clearly different from mine.

There is no case law I'm aware of that currently deals with this issue (the fact that it makes no sense to wait for a mailed card when we have email and PDFs) but eventually someone will get charged for not having the mailed slip and there will be.

I understand you're probably butthurt about me calling out your silly posts on another thread, but if you start nitpicking in every thread I post in you're just going to look like more of an idiot - the solution is for you to re-evaluate your life choices and mentality not to try to lash out hopelessly.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom