Interesting device | GTAMotorcycle.com

Interesting device

MacDoc

Site Supporter
http://www.gotenna.com/?utm_source=digg&utm_medium=native&utm_campaign=digg_c1

gotenna-phone_2x.jpg

PurpleOrange_Back_grande_grande-1_grande_02efe88a-8e8e-429f-b35e-f354d48dba0f.jpg

goTenna turns your iPhone or Android into an off-grid communications tool, enabling you to text & share GPS locations on detailed offline maps. goTenna is lightweight, weather-proof, and easy to use. goTenna is sold in pairs — 2, 4, 6 or more! — so you can stay connected to at least one friend (and anyone else using goTenna).

Each pair comes with 2 micro-USB charging cables. goTenna apps and offline maps are free to download. goTenna comes with a 1-year limited warranty.

Would be nice if it used satellite. How is that better than a walkie talkie?

I would like to see real world tests. They say the range is similar to 2W VHF, but VHF goes completely to hell unless you have line of sight.

Even with the ranges they put in their marketing, it is almost useless for power sports as it is easy to exceed the range.

Maybe these work well for hunting up north where cell phone reception sucks so you can let people know what you see without making noise? I can only think of a few limited applications where these aren't useless. It might work for something like music festivals where there are too many cell phones for the towers, so they don't really work and walkie talkies are hopeless when its that loud.

I place the gotenna firmly in the toy category and for $300, there are literally an innumerable number of toys that are more fun. For me to consider it, it needs to be way cheaper (maybe $50 instead of $300? but then the VC people won't be happy because they'll lose all their money).

Edit:
If they have enough processing in the gotenna's that you could connect to any Bluetooth LE device and rebroadcast the signal a few km's back to a computer, I'd buy some tomorrow. From what I can see though, everything revolves around their stupid apps (why, oh why would I want to download your offline maps gotenna???, I have enough maps already, just broadcast coordinates and let me choose what mapping software to plot them on).

Last edited:
Interesting, but a little irrelevant for bike to bike, given if people already have a Scala or Sena, then you can just use BT intercom to chat with each other.

Back
Top Bottom