Newbie: Trail riding questions. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Newbie: Trail riding questions.

empty

Looking for something different to do this year.

What do I need to take a road licensed bike onto the trails?
Do I need a green/blue plate in addition to the regular white street plate?
Do I need special "off road insurance"?
Any easier trail systems around that can be ridden with Pirelli Scorpion tires? These are not knobbies, just has more grooves.

Thanks

Your current street plate and insurance are good. A 'blue' plate just refers to the blue lettering on a regular street plate.

Depending on where you want to ride, you may need a trail pass or membership to a specific club. Ganaraska membership or day pass is required for Ganaraska, and I think you need an OFTR or SCORRA membership for Simcoe Forest. Crown land generally doesn't require a trail pass, but figuring out what actually is crown land can be difficult.

What bike are you on? Scorpion Trail or Scorpion MT90?

I thought regular insurance doesn't cover off-road and track use. Or is that just collision and damages to the bike are not covered but liability is still good in the bush? That's all that's required?

I saw some bikes at the dealer that had blue coloured plates. I thought that's what guys were referring to.

I'm looking for day-trips from Mississauga. Maybe wider ATV type trails to start with. Not looking for single track, air time, climbs or huge obstacles. Did that when I was a kid and I know the current me and bike combination won't survive.
Maybe throw in a few geocache hunts if anybody is involved with that scene too.

I have the Scorpion Trail tires.

Thanks for the help.

Yup, you just need the 3rd party liability coverage. Good question on whether your company would pay out for a collision/comprehensive claim to repair your bike, though.

I'm not familiar with any specific places to ride close to the west side of the GTA, so I can't help much there. Simcoe, near Barrie, might be your best bet. Firm, dry trails can be navigated by just about any street bike so you should be fine. Just keep your speed down in case you hit an unexpected sandy patch. I've had some puckering moments on fairly shallow sand with Tourances on my street bike, which have more blocky tread than yours. It feels like the front wheel turns into a bowling ball and just sort of plows straight ahead - not fun if it catches you by surprise.

I suggest go on the gravel roads and try it before you hit the trails (if you haven't done yet). I'm close to Simco county trails. Some trails are mostly sandy. You'll get into some uphill/down hill 4 inch sand and your tires are not good for that. Even with more aggressive dirt oriented tires such as Anekee 3, still not fun. Anyways this is just my opinion. Enjoy and be safe.

http://www.scorra.ca/documents/SCORRA_MidhurstTrailRide_2016_Flyer.pdf

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom