NYPD crushing "illegal" offroad motorcycles/ATVs | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

NYPD crushing "illegal" offroad motorcycles/ATVs

The comments on the Facebook thread are spot on. The city's actions ... not so much.

I sure hope that the owners of every single one of those bikes went through their due process in court before the punishment (vehicle forfeiture) was meted out and that the punishment was not disproportionate to whatever the offence was.

Civil forfeiture has been abused by the authorities every time it has been allowed to happen; there are plenty of horror stories.

edit: A good point was made in one of the posts on Facebook. It's likely that a lot of these bikes were stolen (it's easy to steal a dirt bike, unfortunately) and ridden on the street by the person who stole it, and then the city couldn't be bothered to find out the truth, track down the owner, and return their property.
There are no owners. It's the same as the Baltimore problem, black inner city kids ripping off white suburbian kids dirtbikes and breaking into dealerships at night for mass theft. In Baltimore, they've had to infiltrate the thieves with paid informants and detectives that will blend to find out where they park them at night. They then do a mass raid. For the longest time they were doing nothing, taking the attitude that it's better than shooting each other up and dealing crack.

Oh, the old school American government grandstanding! "We are saving the city by means of crunching these bikes! Your children are safe now!"

Also, I imagine them saying "Today, we are sending a message, in front of the cameras, by burning all these illegal drugs!"

It's just that these are not illegal drugs, but perfectly legal and useful bikes and atvs. This is just being wasteful and putting on a show instead of working on a permanent solution to whatever problems they had in the first place.

Meh, theatre has always been part of politics and punishment. In earlier times, it would be hanging pirates by the harbour. I can understand the attitude of the riders though. Their own police forces and governments regularly engage in corruption, violence and conspiracy to conceal both. In that light, stealing an ATV and riding the streets for a hoot is pretty mild stuff.

I saw that one. He's 17, already had a suspended license and just piled 4 more major HTA charges on. He will be using facility insurance for the foreseeable future.

You forgot to mention the impaired driving charge (criminal) that led to the (likely pretrial 90-day) suspension. Add in a potential Criminal Code driving conviction to the 4 more major HTA charges.

Yes, we have a winner, as in Charlie Sheen winner, winning!

Last edited:
That article gives "facts" that haven't been tested in court. I guess they needed to satisfy a word count.

That's why I said "maybe". I guess I should have clarified with "maybe following conviction". Which parts of the news item do you believe to be implausible? Which parts of the alleged acts do you find to be acceptable conduct?

That's why I said "maybe". I guess I should have clarified with "maybe following conviction". Which parts of the news item do you believe to be implausible? Which parts of the alleged acts do you find to be acceptable conduct?

I don't know anything. Maybe don't feel like guessing.

It looked like they spent a lot of time sorting street/sport bikes and dirt bikes and atvs. Looking in the background are a bunch of street/sport bikes and seems like many dual-sports would be sorted in with the dirt bikes and atvs because they look similar to dirt.

Aside from the civil forfeiture issue, donating to Riders for Health would have been a nice gesture and put a more positive spin on it. I wonder if anyone in their PR dept. has better than a 4th grade education.

http://www.riders.org/

Interesting that the article said "The dirt bike was impounded for seven days." Nothing about the dirt bike being crushed in a public grandstanding event. I guess that justice in Innisfil is a little more proportionate than in New York.

I wonder what the insurance companies think about crushing all those stolen bikes they had to pay out for. I'm sure they would have preferred to be reimbursed from an auction sale. Then again, no one would ever accuse the cops and insurance companies of being in collusion to improve the revenue stream for both groups!:confused:

Back
Top Bottom