NYPD crushing "illegal" offroad motorcycles/ATVs | GTAMotorcycle.com

NYPD crushing "illegal" offroad motorcycles/ATVs

Should auction it off. A big waste

uhm they are not upcycling
sell it off at their police auctions
I guess they are loaded and don't need money, city should freeze their pay.

I'm more thinking along the lines of citizens having to forfeit property that is not illegal to own, just illegal to operate on NYC streets. Plus they were all still probably charged with whatever anyway and they have fines to pay/defend against. Maybe they didn't even own it and this is someone else's stolen property that was destroyed - who's gonna have theft insurance on these things in the US?

How would potentially auctioning them back to their original owners get them off the street?

I'll buy that for a dollar! Oops, that's New Detroit.

The pile didn't seem to crush that much. It's like a bed of nails, the force is spread over so many that the damage may just be cosmetic. A few handlebars and they will be good as new.

handle bars were the only thing not touched....lol

Sell em off as a lot to a dealership/company/business?

This happens all the time with various different vehicles in various different places and the argument that always comes up is- why don't they sell the vehicles and use the money for (insert good cause here).

Also, part of me thinks this is just a message to Chris Brown.

The comments on the Facebook thread are spot on. The city's actions ... not so much.

I sure hope that the owners of every single one of those bikes went through their due process in court before the punishment (vehicle forfeiture) was meted out and that the punishment was not disproportionate to whatever the offence was.

Civil forfeiture has been abused by the authorities every time it has been allowed to happen; there are plenty of horror stories.

edit: A good point was made in one of the posts on Facebook. It's likely that a lot of these bikes were stolen (it's easy to steal a dirt bike, unfortunately) and ridden on the street by the person who stole it, and then the city couldn't be bothered to find out the truth, track down the owner, and return their property.

Last edited:
Another point from the facebook comments. The Yamaha XT250 visible in the video is a street legal dual purpose motorcycle. I really suspect the authorities put zero thought or effort into this.

"Instead of working with the youth and making them responsible it becomes a them vs. us! So much for community involvement."

Yup.

About the "just sell them at auction" comments. Selling them puts them right back in the hands of people that'll drive them on the road. Or someone will buy a majority at a low price, and sell it to people that'll ride them on the street again.

Maybe they should also auction off all stolen, unregistered, illegal guns used in illegal crimes. Let the gangsters buy them back.

Back
Top Bottom