What's for dinner? | Page 57 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What's for dinner?

It was fantastic! Thanks for the compliments @JavaFan @Crankcall...credit goes to 2 of my sisters and my mom. Went over to my sister's new place in Clarington/Courtice. My brother carved the turkey and my dad carved the ham. My wife made the three bean salad. I ate.
Also had a turkey roll, as the turkey was basted with butter (I think), and my nephew has a dairy allergy. You guys think that I like to eat? This 2 year old puts me to shame. I get such joy watching him get excited while my sis gets his food ready! Every year I try to eat the brussels sprouts with maple bacon.....I eat the bacon. Finished up with cake (and dairy free cake) and fruit. Made a deliberate attempt not to overeat. I accomplished that. But it was hard not to go back for secon....er....thirds.

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

A muddler is best for that. I think that mortar will grind/shred the mint leaves. Plus you’d have to scrape them out of the thing to put them in your drink.

thinking about the lava rock crucible gadget
seeing as we have a few mojito enthusiasts on the board

I figure it would be the perfect thing to bruise the mint leaves
and let the oils permeate into your beverage after assembly

gonna have to get one now :)
With a bit of thought I enthusiastically agree
thumbup2.gif
! I would use a muddler as JC100 mentions for one or two cocktails, but for 3,4,5 or 6 cocktails a quick crushing in a molcajete and a touch of grinding sounds great. It makes sense from a volume perspective (easier than muddling 3-6 individual drinks). It also makes sense from an enthusiast perspective with what a lava molcajete can offer from its varied texture. A google search finds a number of people using a molcajete to make mojitos.
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=33443
https://www.yelp.com/topic/denver-the-secret-to-a-great-mojito
Even in a book. https://books.google.ca/books?id=_C...Q#v=onepage&q="molcajete" mint mojito&f=false

To do it properly the molcajete should be dedicated to mojito making, or at least only sweeter stuff as well. The wetness of the fresh mint and its oils means the preparation will pick up any other seasoning in the molcajete, be it previously salty or spicy preparations. Keep the molcajete for the sweet stuff and it'll do great.

And it's a great looking art piece that can be incorporated somewhere inside or outside the house. Both mine are visible in their spaces. If not, they store just fine.

Cheers.

Last edited:
some say
like wearing white after labour day
making mojitos on a dreary autumn day
is gauche
well I say bollocks to that
cheers KW

Holiday meal leftovers. Here's a good picture of a nice slice of the ham with au jus and candied yams. The ham had great grain and texture. Lots of flavours in this meal.
attachment.php

I made another guacamole from the excellent recipe I posted. I again used two types of fresh garden cherry tomatoes (including the sweet sun sugar variety), garden onion, fresh garlic and fresh squeezed lime juice. I again added some diced red sweet pepper too.
attachment.php

Here's another meal of I made using that scratch garden burst cherry tomato sauce spaghetti recipe. It's a great great meal. This cook I riffed with more oil and sauce.
attachment.php

I'm loaded with garden carrots, lol.
attachment.php

Cheers

Korean short ribs (been marinating about a week now) with green beans. Prob make those with bacon and almonds.

For the salad....well I may have a glass whilst bbq'n. Close enough.

Did pick up a few great brunettes/reds from Old Flame in Port. They should pair well

some say
like wearing white after labour day
making mojitos on a dreary autumn day
is gauche
well I say bollocks to that
cheers KW

proper cocktails are meant to be made one at a time, you take the wooden muddler and using the coarse sugar as a grinding aid mash the mint into the glass. ONE AT A TIME. its a ritual, a spiritual connection between the barman and the drink, otherwise it will taste like a mojito at the 2 star dominican resort. The LCBO sells liter pails of mojito and coladas for the rest of the great unwashed. Be better.

And drink whatever you want, whenever you want. Just drink.

Custom butcher cut angus ribeye done on the Weber Summit grill. 20.5 oz
attachment.php

Chicken drumsticks with Boss Hog's award winning competition bbq sauce.

nice, enough animal protein to feed an Asian family for a week
but that's how we roll here in NA :)

no pics, but I picked up a 2 rib standing roast the other day (prime rib)
shops put them on sale often at a low per lb price, because they include the ribs

I butcher them myself to have extra meat on the ribs - main reason I buy them
then cut the outer cap off, super tender and flavorful cut
and the centre muscle becomes 2 really thick, but small, ribeyes

4 outstanding protein packs for $20

any other caveman style beef rib fans, like me?

nice, enough animal protein to feed an Asian family for a week
but that's how we roll here in NA :)

no pics, but I picked up a 2 rib standing roast the other day (prime rib)
shops put them on sale often at a low per lb price, because they include the ribs

I butcher them myself to have extra meat on the ribs - main reason I buy them
then cut the outer cap off, super tender and flavorful cut
and the centre muscle becomes 2 really thick, but small, ribeyes

4 outstanding protein packs for $20

any other caveman style beef rib fans, like me?
I have some rib roast pictures here from the Weber grill. Raw pictures too. Great meals. I also am now doing beef back rib grills (I've posted a few meals and have more ribs in the freezer). Tasty stuff.

Another great stir fry and the most loaded ever. Cooked in the wok in peanut oil, it has onion, chives carrots, two types of bok choy and daikon radish/leaves all fresh from the garden
heart2.gif
. I also added peanuts, cashews, sesame seeds, chicken breast, shrimp, fresh garlic, fresh ginger, basswood black fungus, shiitake mushrooms, red sweet pepper, (lots of) Rooster brand instant Chinese noodles, chili flakes, 7 ground Chinese red chilis (very hot) and sesame oil. The sauce is scratch and includes black soy sauce (sweet), dark soy sauce, oyster sauce and fish sauce. Super super tasty. (~26 ingredients). Lots of depth and complexity. I think is looks great too. :agave::agave:
attachment.php

attachment.php

A tasty sampler meal including salt cured meats, cheeses and crackers plus edamame.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Cheers

Last edited:
Hope everyone's weekend is going well. A few more cooks here.

Split chicken wings in a red wine and shallot marinade, grilled on the Weber summit.
attachment.php

Another scratch garden fresh burst cherry tomato sauce spaghetti, riffed with less sauce. I'm nailing this meal now and am able to get a nice orange stain on the spaghetti This plate cooled off a bit so the fresh grated grana padano cheese didn't melt down; it's presents a different look. This is one of my most favorite new meals with incredible flavours. :agave::agave:
attachment.php

attachment.php

Cheers

Last edited:
Another new meal here. With all the garden vegetables I got this year I went looking for another meal option and went with potato salad. I really enjoy potato salad but have never made it. I found a simple and easy Instant pot potato salad recipe and tried it. It's deluxe style and I think it's great. Check it out. :agave::agave:
attachment.php

attachment.php

Cheers

salmon looks fantastic KW
first glance I though it was a brisket
I have a bit of a thing for slow cooked brisket

day off, football day, up early for the motoGP
now a few cold drinks on a dreary day and some cooking
recently discovered the Mott's Caesars with been juice
total health drink, 2 out of 3 food groups checked off for the day
if combined with a bag of Smart Food, you're g2g

have a chicken cut up, marinating for half the day
lime, garlic, black pepper and a pinch of Vegeta
my attempt to emulate Pollo Tropicale, a chicken joint in Miami
Cuban style BBQ chicken, best fast food I've tried

later will be slow cooked on my mining nomad portable grill

http://[img]https://i.imgur.com/CScWNjz.jpg[/img]

http://[img]https://i.imgur.com/ofFQyUc.jpg[/img]

Looking at what you are all posting, I really need to upgrade my cooking....or at least cook..

Any recommendations on sites to check out for someone to learn a cook some stuff. Nothing complicated, at least to do better.

Looking at what you are all posting, I really need to upgrade my cooking....or at least cook..

Any recommendations on sites to check out for someone to learn a cook some stuff. Nothing complicated, at least to do better.
You would do well to start at the beginning of this thread. Great cooks posted. KW posts a ton of links as well.

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom