What's for dinner? | Page 37 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What's for dinner?

It just looked melted? I didn't know you could get the same effect as a broiler in one of these things.

It just looked melted? I didn't know you could get the same effect as a broiler in one of these things.
You can't... It doesn't have to be an either or choice (a false dilemma). I popped it in the oven after cooking and turned on the broiler for 2 minutes.

It's a great and fast meal.

Last edited:
Instant pot Caribbean chicken roti again! :agave:
attachment.php

Cheers.

Wow you are really making me want one to keep!

Tonight's dinner was grilled pheasant nachos. Twas yummy, have FIL here for the black powder hunt. Hopefully a freezer stocked with veni soon.

Cheers! That dinner sounds great and tasty.
Here's a picture of the inside of the Caribbean chicken roti for those interested. It was scratch made roti shells too. :agave:
attachment.php

Damn that looks so good. I've been craving roti like crazy the last few days but the other half is not in the mood for it. Waiting for a day they get into mood for it or I'm eating dinner alone. Which looks to be this thursday. I won't be making it, doing take out - Island Foods, Ali's or Vena's are the one to decide from.

Really curious how you made the nacho. Not really a fan of nacho for some reason but I would surely dig into that. I assume it was a wild pheasant since it looks like you hunt?

Considering how quickly the temperature dropped this evening. I needed some comfort food to warm up, that usually means fried food.

Haddock and chips with napa slaw, boiled peas and homemade tartar sauce.
Batter was nice light, super crispy, flaky and packed with flavour which mostly came from the Collective Arts Sour Harvest Saison i used as the liquid. Chips were from the freezer since I forgot to buy potatoes.

47AlGWH.jpg

Considering how quickly the temperature dropped this evening. I needed some comfort food to warm up, that usually means fried food.

Haddock and chips with napa slaw, boiled peas and homemade tartar sauce.
Batter was nice light, super crispy, flaky and packed with flavour which mostly came from the Collective Arts Sour Harvest Saison i used as the liquid. Chips were from the freezer since I forgot to buy potatoes.

I don't usually like tartar sauce but a restaurant (O'Shea's?) in the north end of Creemore makes their own and it was so good I was looking for things to put it on.

What's in yours if you don't mind me asking?

I don't usually like tartar sauce but a restaurant (O'Shea's?) in the north end of Creemore makes their own and it was so good I was looking for things to put it on.

What's in yours if you don't mind me asking?

These measurements are approximate as I modified the flavour after I tasted it with with the fried fish, it needed more lemon for a brighter flavour and more dill according to the SO. As for texture I wanted half as much of all the other ingredients(cornichon, capers and onion) compared to mayo. If the liquids(brine and lemon) make the sauce to liquid-ie just add some more mayo.

1/3 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon capers (finely chopped)
1 cornichon (finely chopped)
1 stack of green onion (finely chopped)
1 teaspoon pickle brine
3 teaspoons lemon juice
1 or 2 pinch of dry dill
Salt and pepper to taste

That looks great Bishop. Any advice to get a good battered fish cook? (batter ingredients and/or how to cook)

It's all about following a couple of simple ratio and timing.

For the flour, use a mix of AP flour and either cornstarch or rice flour in a ratio of 3:1. The mixed flour makes for a lighter crust due to less gluten strands forming in the AP flour. Also, cornstarch or rice flour brown's quicker which just makes the food look better.

To the flour mix, add some baking soda to make it even lighter. For every cup of flour, it's 1/4 teaspoon of baking powder.

To that then add enough water to mix everything together in a slurry and then let it rest for 5-10 minutes for the flour to get hydrated and relax the gluten from mixing.

Just before frying, mix in the beer with the slurry so as to not loose to many bubbles. Dredge the fish in cornstarch or rice flour, patting of the excess before dipping in the batter.

Then fry at 375F. For how long to fry depends on how big the fish pieces are, for something about the size of a iPhone 6 about 2 or 3 minutes per size.

I hope that helps.

It's all about following a couple of simple ratio and timing.

For the flour, use a mix of AP flour and either cornstarch or rice flour in a ratio of 3:1. The mixed flour makes for a lighter crust due to less gluten strands forming in the AP flour. Also, cornstarch or rice flour brown's quicker which just makes the food look better.

To the flour mix, add some baking soda to make it even lighter. For every cup of flour, it's 1/4 teaspoon of baking powder.

To that then add enough water to mix everything together in a slurry and then let it rest for 5-10 minutes for the flour to get hydrated and relax the gluten from mixing.

Just before frying, mix in the beer with the slurry so as to not loose to many bubbles. Dredge the fish in cornstarch or rice flour, patting of the excess before dipping in the batter.

Then fry at 375F. For how long to fry depends on how big the fish pieces are, for something about the size of a iPhone 6 about 2 or 3 minutes per size.

I hope that helps.

When I was a lot younger I had a job for a bit in a fish and chip shop in the UK. I seem to remember that if you're deep frying the fish it floats when it's near done if you have a light airy batter.

When I was a lot younger I had a job for a bit in a fish and chip shop in the UK. I seem to remember that if you're deep frying the fish it floats when it's near done if you have a light airy batter.

That is true. It happens with most food that is fried - wings, vegetables, meatballs, etc. Floating also doesn't guarantee that the food inside is completely cooked, chicken wings are a prime example of that, you still need to fry them a couple minutes after they float. The inside would still be raw if you took it out as soon as it floated.

Sounds excellent. I will try it soon. How much beer is enough in those directions? I purchased a pint can of Guinness for the cook. Thx!

Cheers.

I go by feel on that. I like heavier coating on fish and chips so I think I did about 1/2 of a cup of beer to a cup of slurry. Depends on how thick of a coat of breading you want. More the liquid the thinner the coating.

Nice sear on the outside. A little too rare for my liking.
That soup looks yummy, even though I'm not a huge fan of kale.

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

Really curious how you made the nacho. Not really a fan of nacho for some reason but I would surely dig into that. I assume it was a wild pheasant since it looks like you hunt?

I don't hunt but he does (I'm my house I don't touch his guns and he doesn't touch my bikes). Breasted them out when cleaned and added cumin, olive oil, Sriracha and garlic. Then just grilled and cubed as toppings. I also added it to my chicken masala crock on the weekend, just as I had leftovers.

Bear chili happened this week too. Cubed and ground meat, and just my reg chili recipe - 2 cups of everything. Onions, mush, beans, tomatoes, celery, carrots. Tomato paste and a bunch of dried herbs. You probably couldn't tell the difference (however I always mention game meat to guests).

Tonight it was.....nothing! Ran after work, was a **** show getting home and now I'm not getting anymore ambitious than a glass of vino and a hot bath. I'm sure he knows where the fridge is!

The roti and the steak look delish!

Back
Top Bottom