What's for dinner? | Page 23 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What's for dinner?

that looks like some really nice chocolate. this is our local place http://www.doninichocolate.com
Yes, Soma chocolate is not only world class, and literally farm to bar with them and through them only, but also literally some of the best in the world. Look at the microbatch offerings and competition results. It's crazy awesome to be able to have this available to us, some of the best chocolate from all over the world.

That Donini chocolate looks good too. Variety is the spice of life and I'll try them as still relatively small more-end-use producers.

Went on another smoker adventure last weekend - have been wanting to try a brisket for a long time but the typical cost ($100-$150 for a big one at Halendas locally) was always a turn off...as if I screwed it up, it was a big loss.

However, my wife found 2 small briskets last week, one at $12 and the other at $14 - worth the risk. A good part of the flat was trimmed off (probably went to restaurant service, hence why these were comparatively cheap), but there was about 6-8" still on each, and the point was still on there as well.

So, rubbed, and on the smoker at 8AM.
This was about 5-6 hours in.
At about hour 7 I removed the point, diced it up, seasoned the pieces a little more, and made "burnt ends" (Google it) which is, I discovered, basically the meat version of crack.
An excellent appetizer while waiting for the brisket itself to finish.
The remainder of the flat as it came off the smoker at about hour 9-10. No, it's not burned, that's how it's supposed to look once it gets a nice bark. After it came off the smoker I covered it and let it rest for 30 minutes to reabsorb moisture before cutting.

And here's the end result on my bun just before I added gravy and chowed down. It turned out EXCELLENT, nice and tender, and a nice smoke ring even.

Looks great! This cook is analogous to my earlier recommendation to you with the pork shoulder for pulled pork. Go low and slow, and with NO wrap for the stall. The meat looks burnt but that is carmelized sugar, which is pure taste awesomeness combined with the meat. It literally is what a great cook of a sugar rub on pork or beef looks like. And cooking open to the air is needed to optimize the candying effect. It also adds more texture to the bite. My pork shoulder cook picture on the last page looks very black too. The result is a long cook that not many people make the effort on, but one that rewards that effort. Crazy good.

Last edited:
I'm definitely going to do the next pork butt without panning it - if I can have success getting a moist brisket, a butt should be a breeze in comparison.

The brisket didn't stall for anywhere near as long as a butt typically would however, but there was still a noticeable one.

Last edited:
Dear God Pilot, that brisket looks outstanding, looking as happy and smoke ringed deliciousness as I have ever seen by people that get paid to smoke stuff.

so there's leftovers right?.........

LOL Thx, no leftovers...but 2 more briskets going on in the morning. It was so good we decided to do it again this weekend. ;)

It's funny that you posted about the "burnt ends" PP. No one knows wtf I'm talking about when I mention them. I saw some bbq show years ago and they were in the good ole south talking about "burnt tips"( I figure they are the same thing? ). I haven't been able to find them locally, but am so dying to try them!

Sent from my purple GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Yes, burnt tips and burnt ends are the same thing, different names.

It's not really something you can buy, it's basically just the point off the brisket removed (there's a fat layer between the point and the flat, so it's easy to do when the time comes) and then diced up. I tossed them on a cookie tray, tossed on some more rub, sprayed on some veggie oil, and tossed them back into the smoker to crisp up.

And....meat crack. SO tasty, little bite sized nuggets of deliciousness.

Burnt ends are available at a variety of places. Hogtown smoke and Carbon bar in TO, for example.

I did an Instant pot beef pot roast using a great on-line recipe for my $10 sirloin tip roast. Came out excellent, and the au jus was top notch. A very easy, simple and fast cook. I didn't get a picture, but here is one from the recipe guide which shows it well.
attachment.php

I've never been able to do as well a job with my slow cooker, so no more using my slow cooker for pot roasts. Unfortunately, slow cookers made for the last 20 years have a dirty little secret most people don't know about.

Last edited:
Thanks guys! Will have to check out some of those places.

Burnt ends are available to buy in Hamilton, all day long. $28 / lb. ($14 / half lb)
See: "From the Pit"
http://www.southernsmoketruck.com/index.php/restaurant

I've never been to a 'smokehouse' (call it what you will) restaurant in the south that didn't sell burnt ends / meat candy.

Interesting....never knew it was something that had been commoditized like that.

FWIW the riding organization we belong to meets at a smokehouse for meet and greets every few weeks, but although I fell in love with brisket there years ago, burnt ends isn't on their menu AFAIK.

@marbles999 you are gonna fit in so well here! ?

Turkey AND Ham today. After a walk I took the twins out for a driving lesson until one of them hit the curb.

Did my holiday ham on Friday. Smoked with hickory wood and a little apple wood and cherry wood. Same great spicy apricot glaze. So excellent. No picture this time, but it looks the same as my earlier ham cook here (same cut too). http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...s-for-dinner&p=2468244&viewfull=1#post2468244

For the instant pot lovers, here is a new cookbook and an e-version.
https://www.amazon.ca/Instant-Elect...title_sr?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1492451340&sr=1-1

That fresh turkey is coming up later this week, done on the weber summit rotisserie.

Last edited:
I bought a Sushi Bazooka on Amazon.

I might be launching spicy salmon rolls in the kitchen tonight.

I took a sushi making class, it was big on ritual and technique and the instructor, Long Duck Dong, didn't suffer fools. A bazooka would have made him lose his mind.

Back
Top Bottom