What's for dinner? | Page 22 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What's for dinner?

That cabbage and cabbage roll talk spurred me to confirm and source an Instant Pot cook. Here's a cabbage roll recipe for the Instant Pot. Enjoy. :read2:
http://www.pressurecookingtoday.com/pressure-cooker-stuffed-cabbage-rolls/
rsz_pressure_cooker_stuffed_cabbage_rolls_031.jpg

Here's another recent on-topic cook by me. Had a hankering even before that discussion. :agave: A 5 lb bone in pork shoulder smoked with apple wood, cherry wood and hickory on a (no compromise) low and slow cook with my weber grill. Started final prep around 1:40 am and the meal was on the table for lunch at 12:30. Served on bakery fresh buns with fresh apple cider coleslaw. The bear claws I bought to separate the meat into pulled pork are really starting to shine.

Just ready to take off the grill after almost 10 hours.
2a936de774ace1da5fff0cbd29a92bfad941df1a36ba241ac2ffc005ff27e2f6.jpg

attachment.php

Got a large portion and had to make an open-faced sandwich on this one. :walk:
ddb3301685e69a148738221642d81ea475558ee18d7d9097f96ab6e161f8c0fe.jpg

Another meal was a home-made caesar salad. Romaine lettuce, garden spanish and white onions, strong gourmet caesar dressing, real reggiano and parmesan powder cheeses (sourced from the best local boutique cheese supplier), fresh squeezed lemon and butter croutons. Excellent.
attachment.php

Last edited:
Thanks Joe (and k-man).

Off to Bruno's for a lovely piece of red meat. I don't eat a lot of it so this will be a treat

I'm accused of the same thing doll. However MY kitchen, gtfo if ya don't like it!

It's on loan. Looking after a pup while cousins are out of country and they offered to let us try it.

Report back as soon as I come out of meat coma

I'm accused of the same thing doll. However MY kitchen, gtfo if ya don't like it!

It's on loan. Looking after a pup while cousins are out of country and they offered to let us try it.

Report back as soon as I come out of meat coma

I'll have more gadgets, but being that we don't use the slow cooker since getting the pressure cooker and the charcoal smoker not sure sous vide is one of them. Here's the next gadget I will have once I get some income or a birthday https://www.lowes.ca/grill-tools-accessories/idevices-igrill-2_g2681883.html

Made tandoori chicken from a kit tonight. wasn't expecting this level of spice, I can tolerate it but the other half not so much. Thankfully there was a pizza in the freezer for emergencies.

Made tandoori chicken from a kit tonight. wasn't expecting this level of spice ...

I do some maintenance work, on stone mills for both flour & spice, at a spice shop in the Thorncliffe Park area. They gave me some tandoori masala to try out. I didn't find it too spicy so much as the mix just wasn't to my taste. I looked the spice/yoghurt/lemon juice mix and swapped Dijon mustard in for the spice. Makes a nice marinade.

I do some maintenance work, on stone mills for both flour & spice, at a spice shop in the Thorncliffe Park area. They gave me some tandoori masala to try out. I didn't find it too spicy so much as the mix just wasn't to my taste. I looked the spice/yoghurt/lemon juice mix and swapped Dijon mustard in for the spice. Makes a nice marinade.

If I had made it from scratch it wouldn't have had as much heat

Curious, which mix was it?

The masalas I'm familiar with are more spicy than hot.

I find there may be as many versions of masala and tikka marsala ect as there are people in India making it. I really like Indian food and started grinding my own spice mixes to have some level of control, I cant handle powdered garlic, hurts my insides . Down side is the cost of all the ingedients is a bit of a commitment, but I know what I'm getting.

I find there may be as many versions of masala and tikka marsala ect as there are people in India making it. I really like Indian food and started grinding my own spice mixes to have some level of control, I cant handle powdered garlic, hurts my insides . Down side is the cost of all the ingedients is a bit of a commitment, but I know what I'm getting.
I know a guy that makes peppermills that could aid in the grinding of spices.
I could get you a deal on one.

Sent from my purple GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

I know a guy that makes peppermills that could aid in the grinding of spices.

That could be painfully slow. A burr mill that's good for pepper may not be so good for cumin/coriander.

The spice shop has a burr mill that can reduce a 25kg bag of pepper to powder in about 10 minutes, less to just crack it. The cumin & coriander are done in the stone mill.

Got sick for a while so the bigger cooks were on hold. Not any more. :agave:

I have lots planned. I picked up two smoky alabama grill marinated roaster chickens for $10 each and a beef sirloin tip roast on sale for $10 (reg $30). I also got a 4.7 kg fresh turkey and smoked shank ham for easter meals.

Meanwhile I made this and have lots left :toothy7:. Instant pot mixed seafood paella with chorizo sausage. Looks great and is really good.
attachment.php

Last edited:
Went on another smoker adventure last weekend - have been wanting to try a brisket for a long time but the typical cost ($100-$150 for a big one at Halendas locally) was always a turn off...as if I screwed it up, it was a big loss.

However, my wife found 2 small briskets last week, one at $12 and the other at $14 - worth the risk. A good part of the flat was trimmed off (probably went to restaurant service, hence why these were comparatively cheap), but there was about 6-8" still on each, and the point was still on there as well.

So, rubbed, and on the smoker at 8AM.

brisket1.jpg

brisket3.jpg

This was about 5-6 hours in.

brisket7.jpg

At about hour 7 I removed the point, diced it up, seasoned the pieces a little more, and made "burnt ends" (Google it) which is, I discovered, basically the meat version of crack.

An excellent appetizer while waiting for the brisket itself to finish.

brisket4.jpg

The remainder of the flat as it came off the smoker at about hour 9-10. No, it's not burned, that's how it's supposed to look once it gets a nice bark. After it came off the smoker I covered it and let it rest for 30 minutes to reabsorb moisture before cutting.

brisket5.jpg

And here's the end result on my bun just before I added gravy and chowed down. It turned out EXCELLENT, nice and tender, and a nice smoke ring even.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom