What's for dinner? | Page 19 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What's for dinner?

Did 8 minute split pea soup with ham in the instant pot. Amazing. The sweet potatoes added a new dimension to the flavours. Just great.

Here's the recipe, I added ham as well.
http://www.healthygirlskitchen.com/2012/12/the-pressure-to-own-pressure-cooker.html
one pound of yellow split peas
one large chopped onion (I use the 10 ounce bag, precut from Trader Joes)
one pound carrots, sliced
One celery heart, sliced (you can actually buy mirepoix, celery, carrots and onions already chopped at TJ'S)
2 Large Sweet potatoes , cubed
8 cups boiling water
6-8 cloves garlic, pressed
4 teaspoons chopped parsley (dried, not fresh)
1-2 Tablespoons salt-free seasoning
1 teaspoon basil
1 teaspoon rosemary
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon celery seed
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 bay leaf
1 capful Wright’s Liquid Smoke, optional

Place all ingredients in an electric Pressure Cooker. Cook on high for 6 minutes. Let pressure release naturally. Stir in one capful of Wright’s Liquid Smoke, if desired. Tastes even better the next day!

Looks like this great stuff. (Many similar recipes).

2016-01-03-14.03.51.jpg.jpeg

Risotto again but this time made with buckwheat instead of rice. Mushrooms and leeks for flavour.

It was far better than I expected.

I had the best risotto I've had in years last night, mushroom broth with truffle oil made the risotto , then when near done they added very well rendered out double smoked bacon, finely chopped cilantro, some tiny button mushrooms and stirred in some balsamic. Had a deep smokey taste with bright feel. Had a half dozen seared scallops sitting in it. I am stealing this recipe, I didnt make it.

Aberdeen Tavern, Hamilton

Really good dishes like risotto, rich soups and stews get little respect compared to the traditional steak. The hours of preparation needed to produce a good soup, stew, lasagna, risotto etc don't get the respect they deserve.

Gonna try that one ^^^

Sent from the Purple Zone

My mother makes a version of this with ground beef and peas and sometimes other firm veggies that is not as liquid. Macaroni Pie comes out in cut blocks.
I don’t believe you.
*waits patiently for a slice*

Sent from the Purple Zone

How about this? It was divine. Those previous mac and cheese leftovers reheated and used in a grilled sourdough mac-and-cheese sandwich. A good and sour baker sourced bread. Cob's bread in this case. My top fave now for go to leftover meals.

attachment.php

I pulled out some pork back ribs to start prepping for a Sunday cook. Looking forward that meal. :)

Last edited:
Each pack of pork back ribs I get has two racks so I have an opportunity for doing two flavours. For a bit of a change I've decided to cook one rack tomorrow, and another on Monday. That's the beauty of super cheap fuel that never runs out. Based on my last cook I'd estimate about 4.25 hrs on the grill. Cost was under $7.50 per rack. :agave:

One rack of the pork back ribs is prepped now with the membrane removed and just salt for a dry brine. I'll do bbq for the first rack with the dry rub either going on tonight or tomorrow morning just before the cook. Google meatheads memphis dust for the free recipe. Awesome sweet stuff. For sauce I'll go with national competition award winning Prairie smoke and spice blue ribbon bbq sauce. Again, one can google for more info. I'll get the ribs on in the morning and have a great lunch meal, with leftovers if I want for supper or later in the evening.

In the mean time, I grilled a spicy chorizo sausage for a meal. Used sweet relish and tangy dill relish to tame it down a bit, with mustard and on a toasted bun.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Finished the rib prep and put them on the grill this morning for a late lunch. Decided to smoke the ribs as well, these with hickory, apple wood and cherry wood. Easy and simple.

The end result was excellent. Probably one of my best bbq rib cooks.
attachment.php

I also prepped the second set of ribs this morning for the cook tomorrow. I went with Greek style ribs for the next cook. Salt for a dry brine, greek seasoning, then added some herbs including a light amount of thyme, more oregano, and yet more basil. I then added a bit of olive oil and rubbed the oil and herbs into the ribs. The look and smell is great. They are now in the fridge marinating for tomorrow's cook. I added about half to two thirds of the seasoning I expect to use. I will top the seasoning up tomorrow morning just before I put the ribs on the grill. I enjoy the scratch aspect and creative side of these meals. I also plan to use lots of fresh squeezed lemon juice, both for the last part of the cook and after cooking.

Cheers and enjoy your weekend, including the meals. :)

Last edited:
I have this critter on the smoker right now, started at 8:30AM so it's been on for about 3.5. Doing it nice and slow in the smoker over an oak/cherry mix. Pulled pork heaven around 6PM.

pulledpork1.jpg

This was last weekend.

At about hour 3-4, dry rubbed and cooking low and slow:

ribs1.jpg

Hour 5-6'ish

ribs2.jpg

Finished product around hour 6-7, falling off the bone - they were literally falling apart as I was lifting the racks off the grill.

ribs3.jpg

Pepperocini and cream cheese stuffed pork tenderloin. Grilled on the weber summit. Tweaked from earlier cooks and came out even more awesome. Served with a bakery fresh jalapeno and cheese bread pretzel. :agave:
attachment.php

Grilled a second pork tenderloin, this one stuffed with fresh apple chunks, apricot jam, pecans, garlic, allspice, cinnamon, cayenne pepper and salt. It was excellent; sweet heat. And I was too hungry so no pics. haha. I do have an earlier post and picture of this cook in this thread if interested.

Last edited:
I tried a small half arsed sous vide sirloin tip roast with mediocre results. However just going through the motions makes me feel that the process is more suited to restaurants that need the serve time flexibility. For me it seems like an overly complex slow cooker.

Maybe things will improve with practice.

Back
Top Bottom