What's for dinner? | Page 11 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What's for dinner?

Looks good, nice bark. Do you leave them open like that for the entire cook? I always pan mine when they hit 160, cover with foil, and finish that way - a lot of moisture is lost between the 160 and 225 point I find (often when they're done there's a good few inches in the pan with the cut) and I'm always concerned about the pork coming out too dry if all that moisture is lost to the smoker.

I do love the bark on ribs and such, but I always felt that it wasn't essential for a butt simply because of the fact that the quantity of meat is so great that the bark just gets lost in the jumble anyways.

You need to try grilling it open all the way. That's the way I do it. The best way to cook pork shoulders is low and slow (as noted earlier) and open all the way. One doesn't lose a lot of moisture beyond the outside bark. The bible bbq site notes this all in detail (the amazing ribs site, linked for another meal earlier and here for pulled pork, http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porknography/perfect_pulled_pork.html).

The bark is amazing when cooked open, low and slow; it is crunchy, full of flavor and is a very important piece that adds contrasting textures and flavours to the rest of the meat. It makes the meal for many people. As I noted earlier, with you using large pork butts you will end up with less bark in the overall meat than optimal, which is why pros recommend 5-6 lb sizes or cutting large pork shoulders in two. I've done this meal a couple times and I definitely noticed a better bark/meat ratio with a 5 lb pork shoulder (bone in) versus a >7 lb pork shoulder.

Also if you wrap the meat part way through the cook the bark will lose its crunchy texture and become soft. That is why open is best for most people.

The finish cook temp is 195F. The bible site recommends 203F as well, but I found it a little drier so I try to stick to 195F. The pork shoulder is not a tender moist cut of meat. The cook to high temp (compared to other cuts of meat) serves to melt the collagens and fat which delivers moisture and tenderness that way.

On a final note this information works very well for most people and it is most definitely worth trying. But preferences aren't universal and some people have different tastes; there will be a minority of people who won't like the crunchy textures. As well, some people like the pork butt cooked longer and to a higher temp, others not. One should try a variety of ways and decide which ways and options you like best, and adjust as necessary.

EDIT: I should add that I use a water tray under each pork shoulder when cooking low, slow and open. This is not directly mentioned in the earlier linked guide and it really helps to retain moisture in the meat when it is such a long cook. I do the same in many other low and slow cooks.

Last edited:
Bbq'd some eye of round 1" steaks. Overcooked a bit to med well ?
But they were extremely tough and chewy. Would outside or inside round be a better idea?

Sent from my custom Purple Joe Bass mobile on Tapatalk

Bbq'd some eye of round 1" steaks. Overcooked a bit to med well ��
But they were extremely tough and chewy. Would outside or inside round be a better idea?

All those cuts are poor steaks. Google cuts of steak and do some reading. I'm a ribeye or die kinda guy, like most butchers. Though I will have a sirloin steak maybe one out of every 60 I cook, lol.

The basic cuts to consider and read up on are tenderloin, ribeye, t-bone and sirloin (top and strip). There are slang names for some of these, and other related cuts which are extensions of these.

The cuts you mention I use for slow cooker recipes. That's the only way they get tender. You can google a cut of steak you are interested in such as "grill eye of round steak" and see what is recommended. For that style they say go medium rare and it is the leanest cut of beef. Medium well would be tough tough.

Last edited:
I think that was the problem @kwtoxman. I know they are not the better cuts, but they are the less expensive. I had corn in a pot, veggies grilling and sweet potatoes going as well. My intention was 5 min both sides total on high then about 3 minutes at med. It didn't work out that way.
Will Google those recipes. Thanks

x2, eye of round is one of the toughest cuts you can get and nothing short of stewing is going to get them tender. Unfortunately the grocery stores often put them in the "grilling" section and people buy them because they're cheap.

We like Sirloins. Costco sells consistently awesome ones. Dry rub first with a good quality steak seasoning and let sit in the fridge for an hour or so, then I heat the pellet grill to 600F, sear each side for a minute or two at 600, and then lower to 450 to finish. I like mine Medium Rare, and my wife likes hers well, almost Chicago. Seems like a waste to me, but meh, shes always grossed out when I'm eating mine and it's still fighting back.

bUtKcqPZEHEUGvAniXfKt6B_7XFhorhcJjG_rIandIw7FnKcY-fAYOOX0eGCP_yMpL5zSnbLMBjUv7FcDKXePRioe7ck6iXuLjsGZ8z3jk4MjfRrNwU7GjUKR6dRRl7xvrZiUajY5hQ8YwWEdXOKbdOmkfj6UNdmd4sUOm2KLSQm2Wc40ejfmJQzg7pLXzabme5I3v0nSSF3p1k0fpWcbUdr4kE99n7zkydZRt0Zba6pD9_K-gs3IsxIwnpd9eqafETXz3DUwZnuxDYn_BoLrGLN3ZJAx0ToD2iFg3T7YzJ95pE5qcKMe0naEhJlXFgX4hPIW2qjwpP5dDudyjCclO3v7EE8sAmd4UppwA3nB14I_Hk0Uk71tDPyKhS7RGt3POaSc3g5v0gXy1-4Xn1K6YQM0O-eK6XccRWnmbl31eJAG3huFa-l7cvYtfWqlcM8eE8Mftg04huYs1e8ODtVCICYJbupwXNb1C6hXSWUuVAnU5BlLmyl0PhLMS12Z5UW-xqrn1ms2msIgSWWXn4Taq49wBL-187HQRWnDuX8gil_TfpxSwCt_iPT6u9MtD52xLlGp8_UCZqsh4I0NkHxlMtM3BzSLymBiSE5e73djnBvjVrWGQ=w1280-h960-no

Last edited:
Had more great food this weekend. I had my butcher custom coarse grind some Angus chuck for burgers and spaghetti meat sauce at 20%-30% fat. I got three pounds and I had another two friends join me for another four pounds (two pounds each). A different level from store bought regular ground beef..... much higher quality angus chuck at a higher fat ratio.

The difference in the meat from store bought ground beef is remarkable. So much coarser a grind, bigger as well as softer. A totally different texture and more flavorful... but also more nuanced, just so much better overall. It was a crazy indulgent burger in my first cook; I've had a couple steakhouse style burgers so far. No pics since my last burger shot shows what its like. I see some meat spaghetti sauce in my future. :)

I did another rotisserie chicken. Montreal chicken spice and some xtra spicy el yucateco chile habanero mexican hot sauce (from Mexico). Captured the drippings for gravy with garden skin-on mashed potatoes and minced garlic as the side.

Got a beautiful picture of the rotisserie chicken.
attachment.php

At full resolution there's lots to like. Click on the picture to open up a new window and click on it in the window again to zoom in.
attachment.php

And at the grocer Friday saw another crazy good pork back ribs deal and pork tenderloin deal. $8.80/kg for back ribs. I picked up 11 packages of back ribs, lol, with 2 racks per pack. I'm keeping four for myself and friends have spoken for the rest. Six double pork tenderloin packages at the same price/wt, and four of them shared are for friends. Will use my chest freezer for most of it. They are vacuum packed in heavy plastic and kick butt for freezing; they will last and last and not freezer burn.

Last edited:
I think that was the problem @kwtoxman. I know they are not the better cuts, but they are the less expensive. I had corn in a pot, veggies grilling and sweet potatoes going as well. My intention was 5 min both sides total on high then about 3 minutes at med. It didn't work out that way.
Will Google those recipes. Thanks

Toss the corn right on the bbq, naked (the corn, not you).

For those cuts of meat if I do them on the gas bbq I sear them then turn the bbq as low as it will go. Otherwise they go on the smoker for a lower hear cook.

I like putting pork shoulder roasts into the pressure cooker,less time slow cook results

Latest cook
<p>I love donairs (aka shawarma/gyros/doner kebab). They are a bit of work to make but so worth it.

I followed this recipe and smoked it instead of using the oven.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/71963/dashs-donair/

It's more or less a meatloaf the difference is that you kneed and slam the day lights out of it. Medium ground beef works best. The more you kneed and slam it the smoother it will be.

Serve with diced lettuce, diced onions, diced tomatoes, pickled beets, pickled turnip or other stuff you like in your pita

</p>

Joe, whats a good Italian son doing putting a round cut steak near a grill?
Consider braising it, its still time consumming but delicious and totally foolproof

put steak in heavy pot with 2tblsp of olive oil and quick sear both sides then take out of pot.
put two celery ribs , two carrots, a medium onion and two cloves garlic through a processor, saute that mess in a heavy pot,
throw steaks back in and bury under veggie mess, add two cups red wine, one cup water, dosh of salt/pepper
Put lid on and simmer for 2 hrs, should almost fall apart when you try to lift it out.
lift it out and set aside, put sauce on high and reduce down to 50%, slice steaks into thick portions and plate and pour sauce over the top

warning , the meat is almost too rich a flavor to eat on its own, mashed tatters are a perfect match. This is a fall go to recipe here.

Thanks @crankcall will try that!
And I wasn't really good at paying attention at how food was prepared growing up. But I was really good at eating it!

Thanks @crankcall will try that!
And I wasn't really good at paying attention at how food was prepared growing up. But I was really good at eating it!

Crankcall's recipe is similar to a slow cooker/dutch oven. I'd use a cast iron skillet and sear the meat longer (3 minutes or so per side) and I use peanut oil as it doesn't flash as much at high temps (smoke). I transfer over my meat, usually an inexpensive roast, to a slow cooker/dutch oven and finish the cook that way. Will work with steak too. One can always change this type of meal up too with different veg, sauce stock, etc.

Good video here and the guy has many. I use his cast iron skillet potatoes recipe too and check out his Ultimate Five-Cheese Macaroni and Cheese | Lodge Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven.

[video=youtube;c1_V2y_9KCM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1_V2y_9KCM[/video]

I have prepped a rack of pork back ribs for today on the grill. Dry brined, greek style with greek seasoning, oregano, basil and a bit of thyme. Lot's of fresh lemon will be used with the grill. Going for a low and slow four hour cook. Combined with a caesar salad (love croutons) and maybe garlic bread, I'm looking forward to a very tasty meal.

Last edited:
Just rolling out homemade pasta.

Tomatoes on stove, eventually turning it all into homemade cannelloni with a garlic basil tomato sauce

Just rolling out homemade pasta.

Tomatoes on stove, eventually turning it all into homemade cannelloni with a garlic basil tomato sauce
I think I love you. ?
???

Ya think????

Hehe

Anyone a brewer? I have a hops vine that is exploding and I'd love to donate them to a "worthy" home.

Ya think????

Hehe

Anyone a brewer? I have a hops vine that is exploding and I'd love to donate them to a "worthy" home.

yes, do you know which hops you have? not saying I'm worthy , but I'll make something folks will get drunk on.

Not only is my braising recipe basic, it is a slow cooker, dutch oven recipe, or heavy stainless pot. I cook this stuff out of the back of my jeep, in my kitchen, at somebody else's cottage.
I'm a huge believer in use what you have. I'm lucky to own a small foundry worth of inheirited cast iron, a couple small cookers and currently four grills/ovens in the backyard.
But my point is COOK, dont think you cant have awesome results without a $1000 green egg or pizza only works in a pizza oven. I've lined an empty beer case with tinfoil and made cookies in a reflector oven when really hungover at camp.

Chicks dig guys that can cook, kids love the parent that can cook, any idiot can pay $175 for gnocchi for two with a brown butter/sage sauce, it takes 30mins and you can make gnocchi with instant mashed potatos if nobody is watching. @joebass, dont tell your mom I faked gnocchi with idaho instant tatters.

Back
Top Bottom