What's for dinner? | Page 14 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What's for dinner?

Thx! Walleye, aka pickerel, is one of the best lake fish for eating in the world imo. Local to much of Canada, but not cheap and it can be a little challenging to find a local source. Some of the higher end quality food suppliers near you should have it at least at times (e.g. higher end butchers). You need to try it.

Cast iron will work on any cooktop, which is nice to know and easy to remember, including induction. Choose a quality name (google for info). Amazon.ca has great prices on lodge cast iron skillets.

Last edited:
May as well put something up here.

Another custom grind beef burger recently. Last of the batch I'd gotten a while back. Didn't have lettuce, but the fresh cold-pickled pickles and home-made big mac sauce was more than enough awesome.

attachment.php

Chicken enchiladas with tons of cilantro.....

Burgers above look great. Home made Mac sauce made my mouth water. Mmm

That Big Mac sauce is great. Been using it on chicken sandwiches and other places as well.

Here is a ribeye steak I had recently. A cheaper non-butcher cut from my grocery store, but sterling silver Canada beef. You can tell it is a lot leaner than my epic ribeye picture earlier in the thread, but it was a sale price and good value. A 10 minute grill on the weber summit (total time including sear).

attachment.php

Last edited:
Hunt camp fare:

My appetizers - bacon wrapped jalapenos with cream cheese, water chestnuts with a dash of bbq sauce and a square of bacon, and in the back, bacon wrapped scallops with a sprinkle of black pepper.

IMG_0143_zpsemdpgwxi.jpg

In previous years, I've added finely chopped red chillies to the cream cheese, but these are too blazing hot for my friends.

Our Monday night dinner:

[video=youtube_share;R7Hgt35kazc]http://youtu.be/R7Hgt35kazc[/video]

Last edited:
I have about 4-5 pounds of wings out on the pellet smoker right now soaking up some flavour. Add in some fries, and hey, I can loosen my belt another notch!

Had a bowl from Chipotle. Two hrs later throwing up and regretting my decision. Whenever you see unhappy and angry employees your food should be assumed unsafe.

I have about 4-5 pounds of wings out on the pellet smoker right now soaking up some flavour. Add in some fries, and hey, I can loosen my belt another notch!

Hey? I figgered you for a straw man.

Grilled this steak today. I went more budget oriented here and this retail is the best major grocery steak I've had. Really good price with the sale. Full retail pricing is definitely premium. FWIW I had already unpacked this steak and seasoned it with my favorite prep before the picture.

attachment.php

Where'd you find a Safeway? They had problems competing in Eastern Canada and I thought they closed up.

Not much for them in ON. I picked it up out west.

Picked up the pork shoulders, coleslaw and fresh buns today. This is a very easy cook, just a long one. I'll be up at 3 am to get them prepped and on the grill for a 1 pmish lunch tomorrow.
attachment.php

Some great meat deals at the grocery. Picked up a couple beef rib roasts and fresh in-house made chorizo sausages. Saw a bunch of chicken deals too but left them as I have a lot in the freezer. I also saw the Christmas hams are in for the holidays with lots of selection and I picked up a PC applewood smoked bone-in spiral half ham. Mid Jan expiry means I'm good to go and 4.25 kg for $28. Never tried this supplier before, but it looks great.

I decided pick up ingredients to make home-made donair sauce as well. Will be using it with a variety of sandwiches and love that sauce. I'm thinking in a pulled pork sandwich as well.

Last edited:
11.5 hr cook total time. The back pork shoulder was done in this picture and the front one took another 45 minutes.
attachment.php

Served after sitting 30 minutes. Came out great. Best yet. Will get a few pics of the sandwiches. Served in a fresh kaiser bun with fresh apple cider coleslaw. It was so good off the grill that no one used any bbq sauce on it. Will do some of that for reheats.

I admire your dedication @kwtoxman. I don't like getting up at 330 am to go to work. I can't begin to imagine doing that to cook.
But DAMN that looks good.

Sent from the Purple Zone

Thx! Walleye, aka pickerel, is one of the best lake fish for eating in the world imo. Local to much of Canada, but not cheap and it can be a little challenging to find a local source. Some of the higher end quality food suppliers near you should have it at least at times (e.g. higher end butchers). You need to try it.

Cast iron will work on any cooktop, which is nice to know and easy to remember, including induction. Choose a quality name (google for info). Amazon.ca has great prices on lodge cast iron skillets.

Cast iron all the way.Especially for blackening.Walleye is good blackened,but if you can find fresh catfish,it's even better.
[video=youtube;iKszPKCyPRM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKszPKCyPRM[/video]

I admire your dedication @kwtoxman. I don't like getting up at 330 am to go to work. I can't begin to imagine doing that to cook.
But DAMN that looks good.

Thx! It isn't that bad as I am not up from 3 am onward (which I think many people believe). I sleep more than I'm awake when doing this.

Basically here's the cook routine. I'm up at 3 am, heat the grill and finish prep. The meat is on the grill smoking by 3:30 am, and it takes another 10-15 minutes to stabilize and set the cooking temp. I then go back to bed and sleep until 4:30 (giving me about 45 minutes of sleep). I get up, confirm/tweak fuel settings and refuel the smoker box; it takes about 5-10 minutes. Then back to bed (for 50+ minutes of sleep). Repeat at 5:30 and 6:30. Those last couple only take maybe 5 minutes at this point and I'm sleeping otherwise. I then get up at 7:30 to change from smoker settings on the grill to regular indirect cook settings. And I set the new burners to maintain the desired cooking temp. Then back to bed and one can sleep undisturbed for hrs now. Next check is 11:30 am, at earliest.

A high end grill makes this possible, and quite reasonable. My weber summit on gas is dead nuts for temp stability and never runs out of fuel.

I like my big cooks as lunches. It's better to have big meals earlier in the day and I can eat it again a fresh second meal for supper, later that day. :)

I was caffeined up to compensate, and had a great day. That was even with my earlier tardiness in sleeping before the cook. I didn't get to bed the night of the cook until about midnight. lol.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom