What's for dinner? | Page 27 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What's for dinner?

you have to remember pork for pulled pork and real BBQ was a way of getting rid of the worst cuts of meat. In the south east US it was given to the 'unpaid farm labor' , cooked all day so it was ready after a 12-16hr shift in the fields. Big fatty nasty pork butt makes for awesome eating once its rendered out.

We got one that seemed to be mostly fat, from another source, it was disgusting. These ones usually fall apart nicely. It usually cooks for about ten hours. Where are you getting yours from?

How are you cooking them? I used to pan my butts and found a lot less of the fat rendered, but the last few I've done I left them right on the grill in the smoker for the entire cook and the fat rendered down to almost nothing, and even the fat pad on the bottom crisped up into a big delectable morsel that several people fought over once they got a taste.

The last one I did there was literallly almost zero waste because once done there was so little fat left. Virtually none actually.

I get mine at Wholesale Club in Whitby and generally look for the fattiest one I can find. My smokes are usually for an absolute minimum of 11 hours, sometimes 12. Never above 225 in the smoker, and I bring the meat to 215 before pulling it and letting it rest 30 minutes before shredding.

How are you cooking them? I used to pan my butts and found a lot less of the fat rendered, but the last few I've done I left them right on the grill in the smoker for the entire cook and the fat rendered down to almost nothing, and even the fat pad on the bottom crisped up into a big delectable morsel that several people fought over once they got a taste.

The last one I did there was literallly almost zero waste because once done there was so little fat left. Virtually none actually.

I get mine at Wholesale Club in Whitby and generally look for the fattiest one I can find. My smokes are usually for an absolute minimum of 11 hours, sometimes 12. Never above 225 in the smoker, and I bring the meat to 215 before pulling it and letting it rest 30 minutes before shredding.

We sit them, wrapped in foil, in the oven all day.

We sit them, wrapped in foil, in the oven all day.

At what temp?

Wrapped start to finish might be why they're not rendering down though - leaving it unwrapped lets the heat get things better, and letting a lot of the fat drip away also helps keep more of it rendering instead of sitting.

Once the weather warms up try doing them on the BBQ instead - apply a good rub, plop it on the grill away from excessive direct heat (put the burner it's above on as low as it'll go and use the other one to regulate temperature) and try to get the grill set so that it holds 225 or so. Even if you don't have smoke (being a propane grill vs a smoker) I think you may find the results significantly different.

The key is the final temp - the whole butt should achieve at least 215, but sometimes I go as high as 220 based on how tender it feels - I know it's at the right temp when the temperature probe slides in and with barely any resistance.

It's pulled pork sunday again. I decided to do 2 butts this time so there was more leftovers. Rubbed with Buster Rhinos pork rub and it's smoking over hickory.

doublebutt.jpg

Hmmm
Finish laundry
Get groceries
Drive east......
Yup @PrivatePilot I should be there by the time the pork is pulled! ?
Looks good!
Gonna try that soon

You may have already posted it, but what thermometer are you using? I saw the one CG posted, but as you know, the less technology for me the better!
sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

Yup @PrivatePilot I should be there by the time the pork is pulled! ��
Looks good!
Gonna try that soon

You may have already posted it, but what thermometer are you using? I saw the one CG posted, but as you know, the less technology for me the better!

LOL. In case you needed more drool material, here they are now, 7 hours in.

doublebutt2.jpg

The thermometer is actually connected straight to the computer in the smoker itself - the computer then displays the internal temperature of the meat, feeds pellets to the fire accordingly, and when the meat reaches the temperature you set it automatically lowers the burn temperature to a "keep hold" level.

Did a whole jerk chicken on the weber summit ceramic burner rotisserie using Walkerswood hot and spicy jerk seasoning. By far the best jerk seasonings available imo, and you may have to make a bit of an effort to find it. Came out amazing. No pics, but I have lots of good rotisserie chicken cook pics earlier in the thread.

Currently, I'm really enjoying some of the best chocolate in the world with the previously mentioned Soma Peru Nacional :agave:, thought to literally be extinct for the last 95 years. UFB. So creamy, smooth, a beautiful and unique taste profile, and a nice as well as long finish. So different from what most people think chocolate is. A must try for foodies imo. A link I posted earlier. Enjoy. This chocolate has won numerous awards at world competitions :D. https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2011/01/13/chocolate_made_from_extinct_bean_comes_to_canada.html

Last edited:
Did a whole jerk chicken on the weber summit ceramic burner rotisserie using Walkerswood hot and spicy jerk seasoning. By far the best jerk seasonings available imo, and you may have to make a bit of an effort to find it. Came out amazing. No pics, but I have lots of good rotisserie chicken cook pics earlier in the thread.

By far the best jerk seasoning indeed. I haven't had much trouble finding it, I see it regularly at food basics and walmart.

Had the same meal as PP that Sunday:
6fqEkJQh.jpg

I have a 5 or 6 pound brisket waiting in the fridge for Monday. She'll be on the smoker bright and early!

CAN. NOT. WAIT.

A few recent cooks.

Here's that Instant pot chicken pot pie. Super tasty. :grin:
attachment.php

Piri piri chicken and veg kebab on the weber summit. Most people overcook the crap out of these. This was perfect, tender and juicy with a ton of flavour. :agave:
attachment.php

Grilled asparagus with olive oil and seasalt. Lovely. :blob:
attachment.php

2 racks of pork back ribs, one bbq (dry rub and national competition bbq award winning sauce) and one lemon pepper (with lots of fresh squeezed lemon). Grilled low and slow for 4 hrs. Just awesome. :toothy4:
attachment.php
That's a 12 inch plate. I forgot to take a picture of the lemon ribs before I cut them. lol.

This forum is currently not resizing pictures properly. More will be visible when it's fixed.

Last edited:
Cooked a no-compromise ribeye steak like many of the great pictures here earlier. http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...s-for-dinner&p=2415162&viewfull=1#post2415162. Lovely. On a later meal I used lightly reheated steak strips inside a warm soft taco wrap that I buttered with excess garlic butter from a store-bought loaf. Wow.

More recently, I got that deal on kebabs again and have been enjoying some great cooks. Will try to post a few pictures. Had a great kale salad on sale with candied pecans and cranberries. Crazy good.

I enjoyed the ribs so much I'm cooking a few more racks tomorrow for lunch. New flavours this time for some variety. One will be Chinatown Char Siu Ribs from the best BBQ site on the net (imo) and the other will be custom hot and spicy dry rub with brown sugar, but also a few canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce turned into paste. I'm expecting big things from both. :agave:

I'll report back tomorrow and hopefully with some pics.

I should make kebabs more often.

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

I should make kebabs more often.
I agree. :)

These were store bought kebabs even, but nicely 30% off on sale and a reasonably good buy.

Part 2, the latest pork back ribs cook. I went with all new recipes and flavours. Low and slow at over 4 hrs for much of it.

Char Siu pork back ribs on the weber summit. Just amazing.
attachment.php

Hot and spicy rub chipotle pork back ribs from scratch (with some brown sugar too). I used canned chipotles in adobo sauce. :agave::agave:. That stuff is awesome, I can't believe I'm just finding out about this true version of chipotles.
attachment.php

The chipotle ribs look burnt, but aren't. I seared them a little too much looks-wise but in reality most people would prefer them this way; it denatured the chipotle rub enough to make the ribs only mildy spicy. But the earthiness flavour was there huuuuge time. Being my first canned chipotle cook with adobo sauce I used 4-5 chipotle peppers on one rack with adobo sauce, muddled into paste (I have a muddler :happy5:); that would have ended up in a quite spicy meal if it hadn't been directly seared for a bit longer than normal.

Just amazing ribs. These weren't subtle flavour recipes. Big taste in both (the char siu is a sweet style, with hoisin sauce and honey... amongst other awesomeness) and yet very very different tastes between them. In-your-face different. And in an eye-openingly good and interesting way. Best cook of ribs this year too (perfectly cooked). Both of these new recipes immediately slot in as some of my best cooks; I will be cooking them again soon, :toothy8:. I need to continue to broaden my horizons with all these great new cooks. :blob6:

The simple side was baby bok choy from the wok, done in peanut oil, oyster sauce, and finished with chinese five spice, diced garlic, sesame oil and sesame seeds. Cooked a little longer. This first cook was great.
attachment.php

I used some extra ingredients that I now have to take this next-level. Always learning.

Last edited:
Been quiet here for a bit. Hope you're all eating well. All good here :p.

Another new cook for me. Instant pot mixed seafood risotto. Awesome awesome! :agave:
attachment.php

It was sooooo good. The recipe used a chicken broth base with a fair amount of butter, giving a beautiful rich flavour overall. This resulted in only a small amount of seafood/fish flavour being present and only in the mixed seafood itself in the dish, rather than having the entire dish and its constituents dominated by a seafood/fish flavour.
(Apart from the clams ;) :blob6:).

Finished with fresh chopped onion stalks and quality powdered parmesan cheese from the local boutique cheese shop. These finishing touches, and especially the added cheese, took the dish to additional level of taste, complexity and goodness. Just great. So easy/quick too (5 min pressure cook). I am going to cook a lot of various risotto dishes now. :toothy7:

Highly recommended.

And love the Instant Pot. :flower:

Last edited:
Soulvaki fest here. Pork and chicken with rice. Feta Tom cuke salad with 'herbs (lol) from the garden.

Chocolate dipped strawberries is the desert appy, followed by s'mores by the bonfire.

Life-she's grand

Back
Top Bottom