What's for dinner? | Page 47 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What's for dinner?

@FLSTC what's the green stuff under your food??

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

Lots of great posts here :wav:. This post is a basic meal but still awesome imo; a PC cheese smokie grilled on the weber summit :). With generous basic mustard and sweet relish on a fresh (lightly) toasted Hungarian premium white bun (awesome bun imo). Great picture and detail. Click to zoom in for a great basic but indulgent cook.
attachment.php

Last edited:
This may be my most favourite meal at this time. So so tasty. Instant pot Caribbean chicken roti :agave::agave:
attachment.php

attachment.php

I made the roti fresh (it's easy and fast). And this cook was made with chicken thighs (instead of a mix with chicken breast). Definitely the best cut to use. I also pressure cooked the chickpeas from dry instead of getting canned ones. It's easy with an Instant pot and worth it (cheaper, better texture and taste).

Cheers!

Last edited:
I thought those Caribbean chicken roti pictures were the bomb. :)

Here's the grilled garlic bread I've been having with some meals lately, including that earlier steak.. I enjoy a crunchy exterior with a soft inside, which this version has in spades. :agave:
attachment.php

These grilled brussel sprouts came out excellent. Very tasty dish :agave:
attachment.php

Cheers and enjoy the rest of your weekend!

New cooks and options keep piling up with me and it's great! :)

I'm a big fan of Mexican food and decided to take more of a plunge into it and source some of my favorite types of meals and ingredients. Earlier this year I looked around for Dona Maria brand sauces, easily found in Mexico and a staple brand but not so easily found in Canada. I ended up purchasing some Dona Maria adobo sauce and mole sauce on line in Canada. They are a great, quick and easy cooking option. You'll see me use these adobo and mole sauces in some future cooks and I've already been thinking about the many different ways I can riff on meals with them. It will be great. :)

After a bit of research I went with a new cooking style as well for this meal, and a simple hands-off cooking option. I thawed out a couple of large boneless skinless chicken breasts (bulk on sale) and marinated them overnight after preparing some Dona Maria adobo sauce (mix the concentrated sauce with some water and heat). For the meal I simply pulled out and seared the chicken breasts in a pan and then transferred everything into a baking dish with lid. I added some garden onion and stirred it into the sauce as well. Since it's hot out and I didn't want to heat up the house, I used my grill to bake the dish (indirect) at 375F until the meat was cooked through (165F by temp probe). It's a very easy and simple meal to make :D. And I decided to serve this Mexican adobo chicken meal tortilla style. I had a hankering for soft tortillas and it's a great choice now in the middle of tomato season in the grocery stores (in season, fresh and good prices). I'm always looking to use what is in season and good value.

Mexican adobo chicken with some fresh premium corn tortillas! With diced fresh tomatoes and shredded cheddar, monterey jack and mozzarella cheeses as well as optional mexican hot sauce. Really easy and tasty (and healthy)!
:agave::agave:
attachment.php

attachment.php

I deeply enjoyed this meal. Mexican adobo sauce is robust and brings a rich complex set of flavours. Earthy. The baking in the sauce keeps the chicken breast very tender, moist and juicy. The premium corn tortillas were a big hit as well. It's worth the $1.25 extra for premium tortillas. I didn't dice any lettuce for the tortillas because the meal was served with brocolli salad topped with premium olive oil and balsamic vinaigrette.

Using the grill like an oven is a great option I'll be using in the summer. Do the hot cooking outside and keep the house cool. I even used my side burner on the grill to sear the chicken breasts. All the cooking was done outside on the grill. :).

Here's another new meal. A while back in this thread I asked for a beer batter recipe. Thanks again Bishop! It took me a while to get around to trying it but it was always on my radar. Beer battered smoked yellow cod! The batter is scratch and I used Guinness stout beer :agave:.
attachment.php

attachment.php

I found the smoked yellow cod on sale at $4 for almost a pound of it :). A no-brainer buy and try. I've tweaked the beer batter recipe a touch from what Bishop posted, but it's great otherwise.

Cheers!

Last edited:
If you want really good premium tortillas buy some masa harina and get a tortilla press or buy pressed and ready made from a Latin American or ethnic grocery. Easy peasy to make and they taste way better than shop bought brand name stuff. Only issue is if you want gigantic corn tortillas they are hard to press but for authentic tacos etc home made is excellent. Masa harina is great for a lot of different cooking and essential if you want to make tamales (corn husks or banana leaves to cover, I’m spoilt as I have fresh banana leaves to play with) or El Salvadoran cooking such as pupusas which are absolutely delicious streetfood. Basically corn masa pancakes stuffed with cheese or meat and cooked on a hot plate. Dona Maria is OK and so is Herdez (which I prefer) but making your own mole sauce is the way to go.

been looking for a source for uncooked, authentic flour tortillas
the store bought, precooked ones that never mould are awful
seen them anywhere in ON, JC?

Farmboy in Kingston has them occasionally so do Loblaws...they are in the refrigerated section which is why they are easy to miss.

If you want really good premium tortillas buy some masa harina and get a tortilla press or buy pressed and ready made from a Latin American or ethnic grocery. Easy peasy to make and they taste way better than shop bought brand name stuff. Only issue is if you want gigantic corn tortillas they are hard to press but for authentic tacos etc home made is excellent. Masa harina is great for a lot of different cooking and essential if you want to make tamales (corn husks or banana leaves to cover, I’m spoilt as I have fresh banana leaves to play with) or El Salvadoran cooking such as pupusas which are absolutely delicious streetfood. Basically corn masa pancakes stuffed with cheese or meat and cooked on a hot plate. Dona Maria is OK and so is Herdez (which I prefer) but making your own mole sauce is the way to go.
Great info. Obviously full scratch cooks are best but I'm an Anthony Bourdain kind-of-person and celebrate a wide spectrum and variety in how to approach food :angel9::love7::toothy7::walk::downtown::thumbup:... it's not just about super foodie cooks. I myself made a scratch mole sauce a few months back and posted pictures here so I walk the walk in their appreciation :) (amazing). But like AB, food is about more than full foodie cooks; I embrace variety and the entire the food scene wholeheartedly, from fast food to inspirational high end gourmet meals and michelin rated experimental foodie restaurants.

I think it's great to enjoy and celebrate simple and basic cooks/meals :). Lots of posts across the food spectrum here in this thread. While Dona Maria sauces are far more basic, they're still a rare style of meal and flavour in Canada... hard to find and super tasty, plus importantly very very easy to make. Long live simple cooks :). In my experience these simple cooks even easily approach the better restaurants in the area that do similar meals. It's eye opening. @Joe_Bass and others here can find some great info and options :). Easy, simple, and a very tasty foodie meal option.

Farmboy in Kingston has them occasionally so do Loblaws...they are in the refrigerated section which is why they are easy to miss.
Nice. Many great options out there and good info. My fresh premium corn tortillas were mainstream grocer purchased, but they've consistently had a much lower best-before date from the other options in store. Just over a week instead of six-plus, for example. It was a noticeable step up for me, who previously bought more mainstream and cheaper tortillas.

Cheers!

Last edited:

thanks...will have a look next time in Ktown

not a common like, but I'm a hot dog officianado
favourites are Hebrew National
sadly not imported to Canada any longer
as a result of the mad cow pissing match

anyway, a grilled Jewish hot dog
wrapped in a fresh flour tortilla seared in butter
is a damn good snack with a little sharp cheddar

Its a pretty simple process to make tortillas and once you get the mix right, not to dry/wet its pretty fast. The aluminum presses are really cheap, i was shown the secret is don't bottom out the press and make them too thin, they just fall apart.

A lot of store bought flour tortillas taste like pressed cardboard

There has been a steady shadow sale on beef kebabs at my local grocer. These were ~$3 each and near half a pound each. So easy and tasty. Smokey Alabama marinated beef kebabs from the weber summit grill :agave:!
attachment.php

This lovely picture may appeal to you :agave::agave:.
attachment.php

You're looking at roasted garlic and cherry tomatoes (halved) :). As mentioned earlier, when I recently saw the beautiful in season tomatoes in-store at great prices, I knew I needed to do this cook again in short order. :D

Here's the pre-cook look. :)
attachment.php

I used my grill to roast the tomatoes. Keep the heat out of the house these hot summer days. It came out great. :)
attachment.php

This work takes some time and effort but it's very much worth the result. It's the first part of a recipe; the end result is:
Instant pot roasted tomato soup again! Best tomato soup I've ever had. :agave::agave:
attachment.php

I added some shredded premium grana padano cheese on top as the finishing touch. This meal has been very very popular around the house.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Its a pretty simple process to make tortillas and once you get the mix right, not to dry/wet its pretty fast. The aluminum presses are really cheap, i was shown the secret is don't bottom out the press and make them too thin, they just fall apart.

A lot of store bought flour tortillas taste like pressed cardboard

A nice Costa Rican lady showed me how to do it without a tortilla press but it took a lot of skill (that I don’t have) but I prefer using kitchen gadgets. I got a metal tortilla press and a wooden patacone press (plantain fritters). Mexican food is all about fresh so I try to keep the shop bought stuff to a minimum.

I roast toms (and hot peppers) all year round to make roasted tomato tortilla soup.

Last post made me hungry so it’s chilles rellenos tonight since I got some really nice poblanos yesterday. Since I’m charring the poblanos before skinning them, stuffing them and coating them with batter I’ve put on a bunch of tomatoes and peppers garlic and onion to roast on the grill. Some will be used for a tortilla soup, the sauce for the chilles rellenos and some will be used for Mediterranean dishes with some lemon roast potatoes and zucchini that are going on next.

Also using a metric ****ton of garlic and virgin olive oil. Also drinking! Happy Canada day!

thanks...will have a look next time in Ktown

not a common like, but I'm a hot dog officianado
favourites are Hebrew National
sadly not imported to Canada any longer
as a result of the mad cow pissing match

anyway, a grilled Jewish hot dog
wrapped in a fresh flour tortilla seared in butter
is a damn good snack with a little sharp cheddar

Try one the French way...get a good baguette and cut a piece the exact same length as the sausage you want to use. Then use a knife or something to “cut out” some bread along the length of the baguette piece (in France they use a tubular spike to hollow the baguette out). Cook your sausage however you like and slide it into the baguette but put a big dollop of mustard/ketchup or both on the end of the baguette your sliding the sausage into. Hey presto a tidy little crunchy hot dog.

Ok so I had leftovers so I made this for breakfast , reheated hot italian sausage, took a piece of PVC pipe and ground a sharp leading edge and chucked it in the drill press and bored out the baugettes. Made a perfect hole, buttered the hole with mayonaisse so the sausage would insert without binding up. The whole process seemed a little dirty.

Cut the baugettes with sausage in into 3" pieces and presto , breakfast sandwiches. Kind of a spin on "pigs in a blanket" , but faster and possibly healthier.

Ok so I had leftovers so I made this for breakfast , reheated hot italian sausage, took a piece of PVC pipe and ground a sharp leading edge and chucked it in the drill press and bored out the baugettes. Made a perfect hole, buttered the hole with mayonaisse so the sausage would insert without binding up. The whole process seemed a little dirty.

Cut the baugettes with sausage in into 3" pieces and presto , breakfast sandwiches. Kind of a spin on "pigs in a blanket" , but faster and possibly healthier.

Hungry again now....thanks

Back
Top Bottom