What's for dinner? | Page 17 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What's for dinner?

@crankcall stepped away from my regular Dempsters 12 grain bread tonight during my shopping trip and bought the Dempsters extra-seeds-no-sugar-added instead.

Sent from the Purple Zone

Epic meal on the weber summit grill. :violent3:Spicy apricot glaze ham.
Click to zoom.
e3254d7531d031b8a45d43e4bd8e35ffc3f560960312bb04d0ef59f5ba339526.jpg

This was the holiday meal for guests this year. Picked up a 9.3 pound bone-in half ham (picnic). It came smoked but was weak imo so I smoked it as per a ham cooking guide I use, with hickory, apple and cherry wood. I grilled it indirect low and slow at around 240F for just over 4 hours before the glaze and sear. The glaze was a scratch spicy apricot recipe (so good) liberally applied and caramelized with the ceramic IR burner.

Came out amazing; my version of a last meal ham. The ham had so much going for it; tender and juicy, candied hints and some smoky wisps, with the great ham flavour, texture and saltiness. It all combined to give the ham a whole new level of flavour complexity and depth.
:eek:ccasion5:

I didn't realize the ham was spiral cut until I opened it. It ended up a little drier with the corresponding added texture than if it were uncut. It worked out well though as it was a great change of pace from my last few hams (which were uncut). It was still tender and juicy; an oily film appears on whatever it comes into contact with, from storage containers to saran wrap to fingers. ;)

The ham was served with scalloped garden potatoes, candied yams, fresh cold-pickled pickles and a nice ON reisling wine. Desert was a pecan pie (think butter tart on steroids).

The meal was a huge hit; most of the sides were eaten and seconds and thirds were taken of the ham. I didn't think candied yams were very popular (I wanted them for me lol) but everyone around the table wanted some. I was really happy with this meal.

The cold leftover ham cuts are to die for. Been grazing on it, a slice or two here and there. :D

Edit: added a much higher resolution picture for those that want to see all the glory.

Last edited:
Been on a bit of a blue cheese kick lately and I bought my first slice of Roquefort yesterday. If I'm honest, the dusty mold grosses me out and the flavors are way too intense.

Used the leftover bit to make a sauce to accompany a 3-cheese tortellini tonight. 9.1 Matt Rains out of a possible 10. Super deluxe.

Dinner last night was Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs mac and cheese. The dwarfs were bay scallops mixed into the M&C and Snow White was a plump pan fried scallop sitting on top of the ramekin baked individual servings. Wife likes scallops. Happy wife, happy life.

Served a bit of Waldork salad as well. It's like a Waldorf made by a dork. Start with diced granny smith apple and a bit of mayo. Add a touch of blue cheese dressing and your own choice of dried fruits and nuts. I used pecans and diced apricots, dash of lemon juice.

Dinner tonight - wherever he takes me to.

Nails done hair done everything did, it's Friday (and I just resigned from one of my jobs). Martini pls!

Last edited:
Dinner tonight - wherever he takes me to.

Nails done hair done everything did, it's Friday (and I just resigned from one of my jobs). Martini pls!

...and?

...and?

Yup

Hehe, had a great "retirement dinner" at our pub with a few friends. Too old even for a hangover.

CG that looks delish.

It's Sunday so it'd be sacrilegious not to roast chicken. Garlic mashed potatoes and chopped veggie slaws. Now to move ***, go for a run is the harder part!

Pictures >> words, so more pictures! :agave:

I've been eating holiday meal leftovers forever and am finally basically done (still some gravy and mashed potatoes around). No picture worthiness. I did enjoy a large batch of home-made turkey soup made with elbow pasta and the carcass. It was amazing, but pictures of soup don't stand out.

I did get a Instant Pot slow/rice/pressure cooker (and gave one away). It was used for the soup and it is an awesome piece of equipment. Very popular and highly rated on Amazon (was one of the most popular home and kitchen holiday purchases). https://www.amazon.ca/Instant-Pot-IP-DUO60-Programmable-Generation/dp/B00FLYWNYQ (it's usually discounted and even better deals appear from time to time, I got an amazing black friday price). There is a huge following for the Instant Pot on the internet. Tons of recipes and even cookbooks. Just search and read. One example. http://www.pressurecookingtoday.com/

Getting back to a more regular meal rotation soon and will post up some pictures.

Roma tomatoes, peppers, red onion, garlic roasting, tossed with avocado oil, fresh basil and oregano, smoked salt and ground pepper

Starter for tomato soup. Prob add tofu and fresh parm flakes when served. I'll try and post pic

I was in love and drooling, then I read the word that shall never be spoken out loud 'tofu'............I feel ashamed to have typed it, I'm going to go wash my hands.

Tofu is the perfect thing to add as it cools down. Almost tastes like a mini cheese ravioli cause it absorbs tons of flavor.

Don't tell hubby it's not, I WILL kill you

Meh. I don't mind tofu at asian resto's. Tasty there.

I grilled a double rack of pork back ribs last week. It came out so well I forgot to take pictures and ate it. Lol, serious. One rack again with a great scratch bbq dry rub and then misty mountain national award winning competition bbq sauce, and the other rack was lemon pepper dry rub (including fresh squeezed lemon and fresh ground pepper). Over 4 hr low and slow cook on the weber summit grill. Well, you can see some old pics of similar cooks from me earlier in this thread.

I'll post up my next decent grill meal.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom