What's for dinner? | Page 21 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What's for dinner?

Nice to see the talk about instant pots and pressure cooking.

The IP is a great tool. One of many for a cook. Grill or BBQ may be a preference for meat cooking with many (me included), but this isn't an either/or choice. I don't always cook meat the same way, there is weather, time allotments, etc.. IP can do meat, and do it well. Lots of people take advantage of the fast cooking time and finish it on a grill or oven broil.

FWIW, here is a great (3-4 min) video showing an instant pot korean pulled pork recipe and cook. NYT. Hint, it looks great! :smile: https://www.nytimes.com/video/dining/100000004897154/pressure-cooker-spicy-pork-shoulder.html

I have a nice IP Pot Roast recipe that looks great and has lots of great feedback.

I use the IP for some things, but not all things. There is lots of internet info showing what it can do; with hundreds of recipes and options.

I prefer the duo instant pot over the lux version for its added features which include dual pressure. Here is a link showing the differences. http://instantpot.com/benefits/specifications-and-manuals/

Lots of info on the IP website. http://instantpot.com/

If one can wait for sale days (Prime day, black friday, cyber monday, etc), the IP can be heavily discounted. I got the duo 60 for notably less than $100. https://www.amazon.ca/Instant-Pot-IP-DUO60-Programmable-Generation/dp/B00FLYWNYQ

For CruisnGrrl and those interested here are a few more links.

An easy yet comprehensive pressure cooking converter
https://www.hippressurecooking.com/pressure-cooker-recipe-converter/

Long long lists of cooking times. Like showing 5 different types of beans alone.
https://www.hippressurecooking.com/pressure-cooking-times

JB, nice ingredients there. Too bad about plugged in independent appliance use grief. CruisnGrrl had a very good point on the benefits of pressure cooking, it is fast and can be done when at home. Also the IP duo has a timer for up to 99 hrs which many people use for cooking during the day while away. It has a crazy amount of safety features. http://instantpot.com/benefits/safety-features/ . Combine that with home wiring and breakers and I find it's pretty safe to use them.

Last edited:
FWIW, here is a great (3-4 min) video showing an instant pot korean pulled pork recipe and cook. NYT. Hint, it looks great! :smile: https://www.nytimes.com/video/dining/100000004897154/pressure-cooker-spicy-pork-shoulder.html

Not so sure about the "look".

For me, a well smoked port butt should have a thick bark on it and a nice smoke ring, the smoke of course adding to the flavor.

Smoked_Pork_Butt.jpg

a9c370a8d621688f807487c3baa5e0ae.jpg

I'm kinda struggling with the "boiled meat" appearance of the one in the video. Yes, it pulls nice, but I can't possibly fathom that the flavor is the same between a butt that was on the smoker for 12 hours and is super tasty even without sauce, to a butt that was cooked in an hour or so in water.

I had to make pulled pork for about 90 people last year, used a variety of crock pot slow cookers, electric roasters, the gas oven and my actual smoker. Mixing the results all together and using a great home made sauce, served up with slaw and about 100 L of beer and everybody was full, and hammered.
I'd never serve that to 20 or less , but everybody is different on how pulled pork should taste. I'm a traditionalist at heart, but sometimes you gotta speed it up.

There are a range of pulled pork cooking options and different people make different decisions. Frankly, having variety for its own sake and appeal is a trait shared by many as well. Even BBQ purists would say PrivatePilot compromises his pulled pork cook on his smoker because he wraps for the stall. It's all just personal choices. I love my bbq pulled pork on the weber summit grill as my main stay and it is a zero-compromise cook. But I'll throw in the odd korean bbq IP cook for a change. And a lovely taste change too. :agave:

Let's get onto another IP food style. Here is another Instant Pot cook that is great. Instant Pot Bourbon Baked Beans.
I adopted this recipe to the IP :read2: . Made it today, came out amazing. Cooked from dry meaning really easy and fast. In minutes instead of hours. And you'll never go back to store bought canned beans.
attachment.php

Last edited:
Butts are cheap, less than 2$lb typically at the right place, but you can't rush them otherwise you get a tough sinewy blob of leather.

I don't know, perhaps it's just me, however any kind of meat that I've ever had that came out of a pot (short of sous vide) seemed to be a tasteless lump without being sauced to the hilt. It's smoker, slow cooker or oven for me, but I'm trying to keep an open mind here.

A pressure cooker gives you slow cooker results in record time. The high heat accelerates the cooking time and high pressure tenderizes. Some things do not translate like alcohol, because it's a closed system alcohol won't boil off.

So if you like putting meat in a crockpot you would like it in a pressure cooker.

I prefer the pressure cooker for chilli, not just because of the time saved but the pressure cooker "cracks" the beans with out turning them to mush. I find with the pressure cooker a little spice goes a long way, specially on the longer cooks.

I made the chicken stew recipe the other day, it uses 1/2 a litre of water, which doesn't really cover much, it's more like you're steaming the food.

While I like the smoker for it's flavour the pressure cooker is nice for when it's crappy outside and I don't feel like braving the elements to use the smoker.

For CruisnGrrl and those interested here are a few more links.

An easy yet comprehensive pressure cooking converter
https://www.hippressurecooking.com/pressure-cooker-recipe-converter/

Hah, that's the link I meant to post earlier.

I found an instant pot lux60 (not sure which version) on Amazon for $20usd + $12usd shipping but they don't ship to Canada. A trip to my mailbox in the states is minimum $60 so it's not worth it for me. If I lived on a boarder town it would be 1/2 price after exchange and bridge fees.

Dad got the lux60 v2 at bestbuy for $60 when the model line up changed to the v3.

Hah, that's the link I meant to post earlier.

I found an instant pot lux60 (not sure which version) on Amazon for $20usd + $12usd shipping but they don't ship to Canada. A trip to my mailbox in the states is minimum $60 so it's not worth it for me. If I lived on a boarder town it would be 1/2 price after exchange and bridge fees.

Dad got the lux60 v2 at bestbuy for $60 when the model line up changed to the v3.

I took a shot at converting your cuban soup recipe to the Instant Pot :agave:. Haven't tried it yet, but want to.

Another Instant Pot cook here. Chunky beef, cabbage, and tomato soup. So awesome. Reminds me of Ukrainian cabbage rolls and borscht. Hearty, complex, great mouth feel, savoury, tasty; its got it all for such a basic soup. Crazy easy. No pic, but I'll post one of the next reheat.

I took a shot at converting your cuban soup recipe to the Instant Pot :agave:. Haven't tried it yet, but want to.

Another Instant Pot cook here. Chunky beef, cabbage, and tomato soup. So awesome. Reminds me of Ukrainian cabbage rolls and borscht. Hearty, complex, great mouth feel, savoury, tasty; its got it all for such a basic soup. Crazy easy. No pic, but I'll post one of the next reheat.

If you try the Cuban soup you might want to cut the veggies in 1/2, it had my 8qt to the limit.

Ribs in a pressure cooker? I'm assuming we are talking about boiling them? Gaaaah, that's sacrilegious!

I dry rub the ribs over night. Then pressure cook them for 15~20 min using a stand and steamer basket to keep them out of the liquid. Stand them vertical so the melted fat will run off. Anything over 20 mins. will end up with pulled pork. Then they go out to the bbq or oven to be finished with the bbq sauce.

Edit: Sometime my wife will grab hers coming out of the pressure cooker. She says they taste fine with the dry rub. She's not a fan of gooey sticky fingers.

Last edited:
Feeling lazy tonight, so the breaded chicken breast will be tomorrow. But after cleaning the breasts and slicing them (pretty disappointed in my Kirkland chicken breasts, hidden fat, nerves, etc) I threw the small bits in a pan with some lemon juice, then whipped together a quick spinach / romaine salad.
Pretty darn tasty!

682467349a10b678408acacb306a1426.jpg

Oh, and you gotta try this Sicilian Lemon White Balsamic Vinegar from Collingwood Olive Oil Co. Delicious!
57b966c32fd348d146e340e48b37a30c.jpg

Sorry about that^^^?
Sent from the Purple Zone

Last edited:
I gotta try making those ^^
Looks delish @Brian_S

Sent from the Purple Zone

Just for the record I did a little searching on Amazon and found the newer model for $75 less (free shipping vs $75 for the one you linked to). ;)

Interesting though, might talk to my wife about it.

Was talking about the $20 instant pot with a friend, he had at one time ordered one off amazon, turned out to be a knockoff, he was able to get it replaced for free with the real deal but the knockoff was dangerous, so be careful who you order from.

Well I managed to pull off a butter chicken that had no dairy, wheat, soy etc (see reoccurring dreams thread) using coconut oil/milk and who knew there is non dairy yogurt? Was pretty good. Halfway through dinner she tells me she has been craving all the things baby can't handle (breastfeeds) and she really craved a creamy pasta. FFS that was original dinner!

However more pressing today is I'm going to use a sous-vide for the first time! Anyone ever use one? Got any tips or tricks?

I'm thinking steak or pork, use the blowtorch to brown em up later.

It seems to me that one could easily sous vide cook anything vacuum packed. By all means try and report back. Though the best steak restaurants are the grill type.

As for current reg's about BPA and food, I have no idea, try reading up, but imo it's not much of an issue to try.... as that steak is far more unhealthy than a single cook in BPA plastic. :) ;)

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/06/food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-steak.html
@meme I believe this is what you are looking for.

Sent from my purple GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Back
Top Bottom