What's for dinner? | Page 50 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What's for dinner?

The link to the 2018 olive oil championships has amazing options.

Another great chicken kebab. Mediterranean seasoned chicken kebabs. Amazing. :agave:
attachment.php

Some great pictures so click on them to see full size :).

One of my most perfect cooks :). Look at all the juices! :agave::agave:
attachment.php

Here's a picture of it cooking on the Weber Summit grill.
attachment.php

A salad made with stuff I picked fresh straight out of the garden, including baby carrots, lightly sauteed onions, bok choy and cherry tomatoes. Plus fresh ground pepper and sea salt, and premium homemade oil & vinegar dressing. Excellent. :agave:
attachment.php

I'm very happy with my omelets :). I grilled up the last of my fresh asparagus with olive oil and sea salt and put it into the omelet with some grilled fresh garden onion and shredded three cheese. Awesome. :agave:
attachment.php

Been too long since I made this and finally got around to it again. Premium 1/2 pound beef butcher burger :). It's custom ordered butcher single coarse grind beef chuck at 25% fat, simply seasoned and grilled on the Weber Summit. I toasted a fresh kaiser bun and went with a bunch of fresh picked garden ingredients including a bok choy leaf & stem, onions and cherry tomatoes. Plus processed cheese and homemade big mac sauce :D. The burger was so tall I served fresh cold pickled cucumbers on the side. Amazing. :agave::agave:
71c9c765753b9f8df1557cffc01e5e68710062ec3d27e56a07b144bc0ade8c5c.jpg

Big time resolution in the picture if you click on it.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Gotta say, (and I'm sure that you have addressed this already) I'm always surprised, with all the quality ingredients, that you use processed cheese.

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

I really enjoy variety; I'll upgrade or downgrade ingredients and things just for a change. I even change cooking styles and methods for variety. I also do variety with cheese. Cheese is great and I typically have a number of different types around. Currently I have Bothwells jalapeno & cracked black pepper Monterey jack cheese, a vegetable cheeseball, St. Paulin semi soft cheese (similar to Oka style) and Beemster Classic cheese in the fridge. Plus two different types of shredded multi-cheeses and processed cheese slices. I usually snack on the more premium cheeses with crackers, and add some charcuterie meats and/or fresh vegetables when I want more of a meal. I'm a bit of a purist when I eat premium cheeses and try not to muddy their flavours too much. When grilling burgers I often enjoy processed cheese because I eat that style nowhere else and I like melted cheese on a burger. I'm know I'm not alone :).
https://aht.seriouseats.com/2008/07/best-cheese-for-cheeseburgers-melting-tangy-funky-blue.html

As that article mentions, processed (american) cheese on a burger really allows the flavour of the beef to shine through, and that flavour is glorious in my custom butcher coarse grind premium ground beef chuck :blob7:. I have never been a huge cheeseburger fan, more of a burger fan with cheese (so to speak ;)).

I think we discussed processed cheese here before but I'm always up for food discussion.

Cheers

Last edited:
there is no home in my fridge for processed cheese, no sanctuary will it be given. Its not far off the molecular chain from plastic.

Sure it makes melty grilled cheese, and burgery gooiness and is loved by millions. Eat more real food my friends.

Processed cheese is for expedience only, 5 min snacks. It’s synthetic nastiness.

I just got back from Quebec and bought a few artisanal cheeses with me. From the smell of the car one is quite ripe.

Id like to change the oil I use in my cesar salad, which super premium oil do you guys recommend.

Lol. I go through so much of the stuff I buy a big bottle of virgin olive oil from Costco. To be honest, I've had boutique stuff brought back for me from Tuscany that you can’t get here and the Costco stuff and unless you’re drinking it I think you’d be hard pressed (pun) to taste the difference. To be fair though, I don’t think the Costco stuff is bargain basement either. Their Balsamic vinegar isn’t bad either.

I usually use whatever evoo is on sale, I'm not too particular.
But whenever I'm in Collingwood, I pick up some "premium" stuff from Collingwood Olive Oil Co.

I've used the Costco stuff (both olive oil and still have their balsamic vinegar). I use EVOO for much of my cooking and it's my go to when I don't use the ultra premium stuff. I can definitely taste the difference with the ultra premium olive oil and balsamic vinegar offerings, and see a difference as well.

Another asian stir fry from the wok :). This one is fresh vegetables from the garden including two types of bok choy, snow peas, carrots and onion. To that I added fresh garlic and ginger, shiitake mushroom, basswood black fungus, chili flakes, sesame seeds, cashews, chow mein noodles and diced boneless skinless chicken thighs. Sauce was again from scratch and highlight ingredients included peanut oil, sesame oil, oyster sauce and black soy sauce (sweet). It was excellent :agave::agave:.
attachment.php

Zoom for the tasty details. :agave:
attachment.php

Another half pound custom butcher grind burger. Made the same as the last one I posted with fresh picked garden vegetables and homemade big mac sauce. This one on a toasted sesame bun. Too tall again so fresh garden cold pickled cucumber was put on the side. :agave::agave:
attachment.php

From time to time I enjoy the premium butter pecan tarts available at the grocer :) :).
attachment.php

Pretty sure extra virgin olive oil is discouraged from a lot of (high heat) cooking because of its low smoke point. It burns before it gets hot enough to effectively cook a lot of items. It’s more for cooler dishes. I still don’t see much difference at all with the oil at a certain point. With balsamic vinegar I do. Some balsamic vinegar can be used on ice cream.

A lot of my oil cooking isn't "high" heat. I have peanut oil that I use when I want "high" heat or a more robust oil taste. The heat issue with olive oil is that it has a lower flash point than other oils so it essentially starts smoking/evaporating at lower heat, but the flash point is still above 400F and extra virgin olive oil is actually considered to be a moderately high heat flash point oil.

That's more than many food cooks need. I rarely do high heat in my oil cooks. It works very well for me using olive oil for much cooking. Even cast iron skillet potato recipes all over the internet use olive oil. Because it literally tastes lighter and fresher. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/is-olive-oil-good-for-cooking#section7

I see a difference with oil, it's not huge but it's there. I've been to olive oil tasting rooms and I can definitely taste a difference. I can also tell the difference between an olive oil cook and a peanut oil cook. YMMV. We're definitely in foodie territory when we talk about olive oil tastings. There's an enthusiast community out there into olive oil like people are into cheese. :)

Cheers

Last edited:
I cook a lot at high heat, restaurant style, its how i get a good sear and crust on things. Once oil smokes and heats it changes taste, I keep canola oil and vege oil around just for pan searing, its pretty neutral tasting so it doesnt taste oily. I'm not looking for an oil flavor a lot of the time, just to keep things sizzling. And its cheap.

Blender needed replacing so just ordered a Vitamix. Will see if the hype is justified. Off to a gourmet food/drink festival today so that should be interesting.

Blender needed replacing so just ordered a Vitamix. Will see if the hype is justified. Off to a gourmet food/drink festival today so that should be interesting.
Saw a demo at Costco. They made me a pretty darn good soup in a few minutes. Warmed only by the blending action. But damn are they ever pricey!

I have canola/veg oil around for when a cook needs it, which isn't very often. I cook at high heat often but not in oil. Instead I use my grill when I want a high heat cook and sear; it simply has by far the best flavour to me. I've experimented with high heat cooks from 450F-800F. My Instant pot cooks often use olive oil (or other oils) for sauteing and searing and it does the job well for me. I've posted lots of pictures of the meals and results, from vegetables to meats and roasts.

Need more pictures with all the talk.

Another great chicken kebab meal :). This is the last of three different flavours I was able to get on sale and enjoy. Smokey Alabama marinade grilled on the Weber summit. This one I went with a little more sear than the last cook for a change. Still cooked perfectly and very tender/juicy inside. Awesome :agave::agave:.
attachment.php

Click on the pics to zoom in. Lovely :agave::agave:
attachment.php

Fresh picked vegetables from the garden including fresh cucumber with pepper/salt, two types of cherry tomatoes including the very sweet sun sugar variety and some fresh onion, chives and sweet peas sauteed in a little olive oil. :agave:
attachment.php

Two five pound bone-in pork shoulders early on in a 12 hour cook on the Weber summit. Smoked with hickory, apple and cherry woods. :agave:
attachment.php

Big resolution picture here.
https://uploads.disquscdn.com/image...5d18faa5c20029b31a83f57cd887855908b7c2b45.jpg

Shredded into pulled pork and served on a fresh toasted sesame seed bun with a butcher sourced premium scratch made coleslaw. :agave::agave:
attachment.php

The premium coleslaw is definitely worth it :). Big resolution pictures here.
https://uploads.disquscdn.com/image...81da1da8bcfee6810511bf77167bac1d71cfbc058.jpg
https://uploads.disquscdn.com/image...2702c503b671241e643eec0a40c11d6cebc18dc2e.jpg

Cheers!

Last edited:
Can’t believe this has turned into another oil thread...? pass me the Rotella ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can’t believe this has turned into another oil thread...? pass me the Rotella ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ok
Now THAT was funny!
Lmfao

Saw a demo at Costco. They made me a pretty darn good soup in a few minutes. Warmed only by the blending action. But damn are they ever pricey!

Got one refurbished with an extra $100 off with a 10% internet voucher off and free shipping and spatula set. Wasn’t too shabby, 5y warranty.

I have canola/veg oil around for when a cook needs it, which isn't very often. I cook at high heat often but not in oil. Instead I use my grill when I want a high heat cook and sear; it simply has by far the best flavour to me. I've experimented with high heat cooks from 450F-800F. My Instant pot cooks often use olive oil (or other oils) for sauteing and searing and it does the job well for me. I've posted lots of pictures of the meals and results, from vegetables to meats and roasts.

Need more pictures with all the talk.

Another great chicken kebab meal :). This is the last of three different flavours I was able to get on sale and enjoy. Smokey Alabama marinade grilled on the Weber summit. This one I went with a little more sear than the last cook for a change. Still cooked perfectly and very tender/juicy inside. Awesome :agave::agave:.
attachment.php

Click on the pics to zoom in. Lovely :agave::agave:
attachment.php

Fresh picked vegetables from the garden including fresh cucumber with pepper/salt, two types of cherry tomatoes including the very sweet sun sugar variety and some fresh onion, chives and sweet peas sauteed in a little olive oil. :agave:
attachment.php

Two five pound bone-in pork shoulders early on in a 12 hour cook on the Weber summit. Smoked with hickory, apple and cherry woods. :agave:
attachment.php

Big resolution picture here.
https://uploads.disquscdn.com/image...5d18faa5c20029b31a83f57cd887855908b7c2b45.jpg

Shredded into pulled pork and served on a fresh toasted sesame seed bun with a butcher sourced premium scratch made coleslaw. :agave::agave:
attachment.php

The premium coleslaw is definitely worth it :). Big resolution pictures here.
https://uploads.disquscdn.com/image...81da1da8bcfee6810511bf77167bac1d71cfbc058.jpg
https://uploads.disquscdn.com/image...2702c503b671241e643eec0a40c11d6cebc18dc2e.jpg

Cheers!
Wow those pork shoulders and pulled pork sandwiches look fantastic. I can't stop looking at it

Seriously, there are NO store bought tomatoes that I have ever found that can compare to home grown!
With some tzatziki on some 50% off garlic Naan bread.
08c7b7267ac2e4dacacd5b3ee56fbae0.jpg

Seriously, there are NO store bought tomatoes that I have ever found that can compare to home grown!
With some tzatziki on some 50% off garlic Naan bread.
I totally know what you mean JB! Looks very tasty :D

Is that tzatziki yogurt or sour cream based?

More food pics incoming :)

Snagged the 1k post on this thread two days after the 999th post. :thefinger: :rolleyes::bunny:

Back
Top Bottom