What's for dinner? | Page 20 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What's for dinner?

I tried a small half arsed sous vide sirloin tip roast with mediocre results. However just going through the motions makes me feel that the process is more suited to restaurants that need the serve time flexibility. For me it seems like an overly complex slow cooker.

Maybe things will improve with practice.
I've been looking at them, decided my kamado is more fun, less work and better flavour

Homemade dough being readied for proofing, sauce on stove and looks like I'm in good shape for a pizza party. Girls night in for games (well out as it's in the garage), thank God I've kicked the cold as this was planned long ago.

I can't post pics as I don't belong to any sites

Hey @meme you can text me pics and I can post if you ever want. Pm me for my #

Sent from the Purple Zone

A true Italian gentleman, most guys don't ask for pizza pics!

Thanks, see if I have a steady hand later on. Just finished prepping so all I got is the creation.

Homemade dough being readied for proofing, sauce on stove and looks like I'm in good shape for a pizza party. Girls night in for games (well out as it's in the garage), thank God I've kicked the cold as this was planned long ago.

You can post from your computer but the sizes are PITA restrictive.

Imgur.com

There's no sign up

Been busy with some good cooks. Love my new instant pot and using it with some regularity.

Here are my recent cooks.

Baked Ziti in the Instant Pot. No picture from me, but here is an example of an instant pot cook.
ip6.jpg

Home-made beef barley soup in the Instant Pot. Used this recipe aka comforting beef barley soup. Way better than anything out of a can.
Comforting-Beef-Barley-Soup-Instant-Pot-2.jpg

Chicken pot pie with biscuits in the Instant Pot. Just awesome. Great comfort food and tastes even better with reheats.
20160718_202335.jpg

An amazing home-made roasted tomato soup made in the Instant Pot. Best tomato soup I've ever had.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Stuffed pork tenderloin with raspberry jam and stuffing. :)
attachment.php

Stuffed pork tenderloin with apple, hot spice rub and bbq sauce. :)
attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Ok, I've been hearing about this "instant pot" thing. What the hell exactly is it?

Ok, I've been hearing about this "instant pot" thing. What the hell exactly is it?

A pressure cooker (though also a multifunctional device). An old school refuge (tool) of enthusiast cooks until this Canadian company made a modern electric version. Now taking the world by storm. A best seller on Amazon.ca and .com, over 20k ratings and 4.7 stars. Amazon sold 1/4 million IPs in one day last year. The sharing of uses, cooks and recipes on-line is unrivaled. A great cooking tool to add to the cooking and foodie experience. I mentioned it and a link or two earlier in the thread.
I'm broadening my cooking expertise. :D :D And with easy cooks. :agave:

Instant Pot has gone and is still going viral,... on Today (tv), NYT, Washington Post, Fox (tv), BBC, NPR, Bloomberg, etc. A few of the most recent new stories....
http://www.ctvnews.ca/lifestyle/fro...nation-the-story-of-the-instant-pot-1.3319793
http://www.thespec.com/living-story...g-the-instant-pot-taking-home-cooks-by-storm/
http://www.bbc.com/news/business-39058736

Last edited:
Yes I overcooked the sausages!
But they are the ones I made with my dad a few weeks back. Plus some baked sweet potato slices and corn (gonna cut out the corn once I empty my supply).
1d4b8f33ef99d1a4eff1080f555bf726.jpg

Pressure cookers are awesome, take an 8 hour chilli recipe and have it done in 45 minutes or so
I don't have the instant pot, i have an old school manual one. the instant pot is nice in that besides being a pressure cooker it also doubles as an automated rice cooker, slow cooker, a standard pot and will also make yogurt. Some of them have blue tooth connectivity to talk to your smart phone.

A few years back when I was shopping for a pressure cooker the electric ones like Instant pot started at 150 and up. I picked up an old school 8 quart (7.5 L) stove top one on sale for $25. liked it so much I picked up a 6 quart as well.

Instant pot LATEST MODEL Instant Pot IP-LUX50-ENW Stainless Steel 6-in-1 Multi-Functional Pressure Cooker
Similar to the one I have Presto 8-Quart Aluminum Pressure Cooker not automatic like the instant pot but you can use it when camping or on a gas stove or side burner of your bbq if your power's out and one of the quick release methods you just spray the outside of the pot with cool water in the sink making it so your moisture doesn't boil off/over.

here's a couple recipes i like and use often

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/192357/pressure-cooker-chili/
http://www.pressurecooker.com.au/chicken-and-vegetable-stew
http://www.food.com/recipe/pork-shoulder-roast-in-cider-pressure-cooker-489921

There's also a recipe book I refer to called "great food fast", it's available on amazon Great Food Fast, the beef pot roast is amazing.

and here's some good info on converting recipes to pressure cooking
https://www.hippressurecooking.com/pressure-cooker-recipe-converter/
Edit fixed above link

Last edited:
Just for the record I did a little searching on Amazon and found the newer model for $75 less (free shipping vs $75 for the one you linked to). ;)

Interesting though, might talk to my wife about it.

My wife is convinced that any cooking device is not to be plugged in while we are not home because the house will burn down. This pretty much eliminates me putting a pork roast on when I leave at 530am and having a great weeknight dinner. (Damn Italian women!)
And I don’t wake up that early on weekends if I don’t have to.
(Hence the reason I am so impressed with the dedication of you meat smokers! )

My wife is convinced that any cooking device is not to be plugged in while we are not home because the house will burn down. This pretty much eliminates me putting a pork roast on when I leave at 530am and having a great weeknight dinner. (Damn Italian women!)

cook it at night when everyone is sleeping :)

Just for the record I did a little searching on Amazon and found the newer model for $75 less (free shipping vs $75 for the one you linked to). ;)

Interesting though, might talk to my wife about it.

There are a number of different models of "Instant Pot" with different features and sizes on amazon, cheapest one I found being sold by Instant Pot was $93, the one i linked was $112, and they go up over $500. There are other brands of electric pressure cookers, the instant pot is a little higher end than some of them. also when doing a search for pressure cooker amazon brought up a Salton rice cooker. it's a fancy rice cooker for $50 but it's not a pressure cooker (they do have a Salton pressure cooker for $90). here's the next model up from instant pot at $119 Instant Pot IP-LUX60 V3 Programmable Electric Pressure Cooker, 6 quarts, 1000W, Black and Stainless Steel. Also double check the prices between .com and .c (though half the time when i'm shopping on .com the shipper won't ship to Canada)

With the pressure cooker you wouldn't leave it plugged in while you're at work, you would start things when you get home. how ever you can have pulled pork in about an hour. you can save a lot of time by prepping some stuff prior (like cutting veggies etc).

with regards to smoking, I find doing a whole chicken or the like is pretty fast on the smoker, doing boneless roasts isn't too bad, ribs take a little longer, it's when you start having bone in roasts that you see long cook times. I use the pressure cooker for that because i'm not getting up at stupid o'clock either.

Ribs in a pressure cooker? I'm assuming we are talking about boiling them? Gaaaah, that's sacrilegious!

And pulled pork in an hour also sounds impossible unless we are talking a different cut of meat vs the usual butt?

Not sure about this thing. There's very little I boil, although the Chili in 45 minutes does pique my attention.

edit: nevermind re the ribs, I see you were referencing a smoker at the end. That's more my speed. ;) I still can't see pulled pork in an hour though, even a small butt smoked or baked properly can take 8-10 hours.

Last edited:
Ribs in a pressure cooker? I'm assuming we are talking about boiling them? Gaaaah, that's sacrilegious!

And pulled pork in an hour also sounds impossible unless we are talking a different cut of meat vs the usual butt?

Not sure about this thing. There's very little I boil, although the Chili in 45 minutes does pique my attention.

edit: nevermind re the ribs, I see you were referencing a smoker at the end. That's more my speed. ;) I still can't see pulled pork in an hour though, even a small butt smoked or baked properly can take 8-10 hours.
the pressure cooker speeds things up significantly here's a recipe that's 1.5 hours http://www.homemadeinterest.com/pressure-cooker-pulled-pork/ but I tend to do it with a pork loin, not the same cut but it still shreds nicely, takes a little less time.

Aha, but using a loin vs a butt and still calling it pulled pork is like using shredded cheese on fries and still calling it poutine.

I kid (sort of lol), but I'm a meat purist and an avid smoker. I don't even like using the oven for things that can go on the smoker instead. ;)

Aha, but using a loin vs a butt and still calling it pulled pork is like using shredded cheese on fries and still calling it poutine.

I kid (sort of lol), but I'm a meat purist and an avid smoker. I don't even like using the oven for things that can go on the smoker instead. ;)

considering i can get loin for $2/lbs (sometimes on sale for $1/lbs) I will sometimes substitute when the results are almost the same. sadly it doesn't come out like that on the smoker, it's just the way the pressure cooker cooks things.

there are a few things i don't bother with for the pressure cooker, 1 which is hard boiled eggs. being on a well our water is rich in minerals and it has been known to affect the taste of the eggs (you can see discolouration under the shell) we save the filtered water for drinking/using in the coffee machine or anything else that would be gummed up by the well water.

Butts are cheap, less than 2$lb typically at the right place, but you can't rush them otherwise you get a tough sinewy blob of leather.

I don't know, perhaps it's just me, however any kind of meat that I've ever had that came out of a pot (short of sous vide) seemed to be a tasteless lump without being sauced to the hilt. It's smoker, slow cooker or oven for me, but I'm trying to keep an open mind here.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom