What's for dinner? - Page 28

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728

Thread: What's for dinner?

Re: What's for dinner?

I got an early father's day present, a Sous vide rig. Too busy at the moment to us it but will report on findings as they float to the top of the bag.

Picked up a half price ($15.00/ lb) Wagyu steak for dinner tonight but too tired to care. I'l probably destroy it.

A few recent meals.

This was pepperocini and cream cheese stuffed pork tenderloin. Some of the pickling liquid was added as well as some california peppers (even hotter) on the left side.

This was blueberry pancake and maple syrup stuffed pork tenderloin. Hey, I think outside the box.

Here are the tenderloins after being grilled on the weber summit. Almost ate all of them before remembering to take a picture. lol. Both were awesome. I'll be cooking them again before long.

These are piri piri chicken kebabs grilled on the weber summit. Great great. As flavorful as it looks.

Cheers
    Last edited by kwtoxman; 06-14-2017 at 10:31 AM.
    http://www.verylittlebrain.com/kyle/avatarsm.jpg

04 Honda RC51 - the Nicky Hayden edition

Taco Tuesday!

Meant to post more pics but I was hungry.
    sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app
    Last edited by Joe Bass; 06-13-2017 at 07:31 PM.
    Originally Posted by inreb

His wife would.love to tools user the tree. You know, user the tree. To tools.

Quote Originally Posted by nobbie48 View Post
    I got an early father's day present, a Sous vide rig. Too busy at the moment to us it but will report on findings as they float to the top of the bag.

Picked up a half price ($15.00/ lb) Wagyu steak for dinner tonight but too tired to care. I'l probably destroy it.
    You literally can't destroy it if you use the sous vide properly. I'd also have bbq (or propane torch) ready when it comes out, to give the char taste. Quick and dirty, plate it and invite Uncle Bob

Quote Originally Posted by meme View Post
    You literally can't destroy it if you use the sous vide properly. I'd also have bbq (or propane torch) ready when it comes out, to give the char taste. Quick and dirty, plate it and invite Uncle Bob
    We just did the steak on the BBQ to do a taste comparison with the more affordable beef and not confusing things with added flavours or processes.

It was tender and had a nice buttery taste. Good but I'm not sure if paying $30 a pound will be a regular event. At half price and sharing a one pound steak it's about the same price as a takeout burger combo.

I'm going to start slow with the sous vide, maybe hot dogs, until I get the programming figured out. Keypads confuse me.

A few more recent cooks.

Spicy buffalo pork kebabs. Tender and so flavourful.

Whisky and black pepper fish kebabs. Love the fish kebabs.

Perfectly cooked!

Here's a cook as easy as it gets. Buy a marinated whole chicken. In this case dark ale and shallot for $6.20.

Stick chicken on spit, put spit on the weber summit grill and rotisserie until cooked (165F internal). Collect drippings for gravy. Who doesn't like real and good home-made gravy!

Make home made mashed potatoes, these are skin-on garlic mashed. $0.75.
    My secret cream cheese add-in is highly recommended.
    These rotisserie birds make as much gravy as a turkey.
    Combine and eat!

A great meal for four adults at under $8 total.

Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend.
    Last edited by kwtoxman; 06-17-2017 at 08:03 PM.

So cream cheese instead of milk? And do you use fresh garlic or the jarred minced stuff?
    I've been on a sweet potato smash kick. I bake or microwave sweet potatoes, smash, add a little butter, delish.
    And yes, smash.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bass View Post
    So cream cheese instead of milk? And do you use fresh garlic or the jarred minced stuff?
    I've been on a sweet potato smash kick. I bake or microwave sweet potatoes, smash, add a little butter, delish.
    And yes, smash.
    Love sweet potatoes. I often candy them, aka brown sugar and pan fry in butter after a precook.

As for my mashed potatoes, go with a 1/4 to 1/3 of the normal amount of milk (optimally, but I often don't even have it), and add a big dollop of cream cheese as well (1/3 cup or thereabouts to eventual preferences, 1/2 cup or more with large portions). The fresher the type of garlic the better. Even at that, I typically used dried diced garlic for convenience and did here to excellent result. Remember to add some salt to bring out the garlic flavour, and add some pepper too.

Hey @Gary thanks for the link to Southern Smokehouse you posted a while back. Finally making my way to Hamilton week after next to pick up a prize I won, and will be stopping in there for th burnt tips!

My wife made me a Father's Day dinner. Simple but yummy.
    Breaded chicken cutlets, broccoli with butter and white rice with a cream of mushroom soup sauce.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bass View Post
    Hey @Gary thanks for the link to Southern Smokehouse you posted a while back. Finally making my way to Hamilton week after next to pick up a prize I won, and will be stopping in there for th burnt tips!

If that's the place on Ottawa Street they were too smokey for my tastes. FWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by nobbie48 View Post
    If that's the place on Ottawa Street they were too smokey for my tastes. FWIW.
    Yeah that's the address. Thx for the feedback. I don't get into Hamilton much so still gonna give it a try.

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

Anyone buy beef tenderloin at the St Lawrence for steaks? Do I ever miss that.
    Ignorance is curable, Apathy not so much, but I don't care, I'll try anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggsy View Post
    Anyone buy beef tenderloin at the St Lawrence for steaks? Do I ever miss that.
    we used to, and there was a guy that sold delmonico steaks about 1.5" thick, I really miss that. wifey isnt much on fat (so sad) so tenderloins sliced up makes her pretty happy.
    You can get a much better steak for much less money, but shes happy......

20 minutes to cook, my tenderloin recipe.

Take off silver and chain. Mold tenderloin evenly (tuck tip in). Season to taste and bring up to room temp.

Oven to 500. Put Tenderloin in, set timer.

After 20 mins turn oven off but DON'T OPEN OVEN. Wait one hour to remove. Tenderloin will be pink but not bloody. At this point my grill is hot so I can cook to individual preferences if I am serving in steak form.

I use a meat slicer for huge afternoon parties, have a bunch of bread,cheese, mustards, and some fried onions/peppers. Make your own damn sammie folks.