What's for dinner? | Page 38 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What's for dinner?

Asked Google for a quick chicken recipe (I hate googling this type of stuff, but iirc @kwtoxman does it all the time so I tried)
Ended up making this:
I tried spreading on the coating rather than roll the chicken in it. That's probably why the mayo/ spice/ cheese mixture browned up??? Tasted great, but presented meh. Suggestions?
Also, gonna try the slowcooker chicken and biscuits meal this weekend. I've never eaten that meal, but it LOOKS so good! Anyone tried it?
edc97f6d6ef0df98da9cc16023d12c7a.jpg

Sent from my [device_name] using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Looks tasty. What did you try to make? (just out of interest)

The direct/mayo cheese as coating is definitely why it browned. Obviously different from an isolated/indirect (stuffing style) cook. Browned mayo and cheese is pretty tasty. A suggestion would be to try stuffing it more like the recipe but that's rather redundant...

As for your next cook, is it slow cooker or Instant pot? I've really enjoy the Instant pot chicken pot pie recipe and cook I've posted before; a typical slow cooker version should be a similar meal. The family really likes it.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Sorry, didn't post right. The chicken was the meal I was referring to.
Coincidentally enough, a cooworker made the same meal last night and the dipping in the mixture seemed to be the difference.

Will be a slow cooker. (missed out on the Instant Pot deals) will be using a pillsbury type dough for the biscuits

A minor thing, but what chicken meal/recipe? I know of a few stuffed (rolled) chicken recipes but which one are you referring to?

I'd expect that future cook will be similar to the same as the Instant pot chicken pot pie experience. A great cook using the same pillisbury biscuit dough and just compare ingredients. The dough becomes a dumpling in this cook (IP/slow cooker). Tasty, but otoh if you prefer the biscuit style then cook the dough separately in an oven/toaster oven.

Last edited:
I've seen the same thing. Most recipes say biscuits/dumpling. I have never had either so I am looking forward to the dumpling style.

Sorry re earlier posts. I was not clear. Not a rolled or stuffed chicken.
Just a chicken breast baked with a mayo/ seasoning/ garlic powder/ black pepper/ parmesan coating.
I should have smothered the breast in the mixture. Instead, I put a dollop and spread it. I think the cheese and stuff gathered and crusted. Again, not terrible, but some bites had too much seasoning and some not enough. The balance was off.

Got it now. The recipe seasoning does sound appealing.

As for dumplings vs biscuits, this may help. Disregard when the words are used interchangeably. Dumplings will be wet, dense, chewy pieces of bread that result from soaking and cooking in the liquid cook for an extended time. Tasty, but the texture isn't for everyone. Biscuits baked in an oven as per Pillsbury roll instructions will be crisp, lighter and flaky from dry cooking. Many of these dumpling recipes use biscuit dough in their recipe, but the cook gives a different end result. Each style has their merit and fans and sometimes it's also nice to have something different.

Cheers on trying new recipes/cooks. I've had some great success with internet recipes. I've also come across a few recipes that were not 100% either... Generally, the more reviews and comments on a recipe the more comfortable I become with it. I try to read the comments as well; some can be very helpful.

GL and enjoy!

Nice sear on the outside. A little too rare for my liking.
That soup looks yummy, even though I'm not a huge fan of kale.

The roti and the steak look delish!
Cheers!

I found the kale in the soup helped to add texture to the meal since the other ingredients were soft from the cook. Appealing. Spinach would work as well, but not as much texture

Last edited:
What temperature do slow cookers run?

Someone was onto me about them not being suited to chicken as they didn't hit high enough temperatures.

Just curious.

What temperature do slow cookers run?

Someone was onto me about them not being suited to chicken as they didn't hit high enough temperatures.

Just curious.

All food can be cooked fine in a slow cooker. Chicken needs to be cooked all the way through no matter how it is cooked so make sure it is fully cooked.

We've discussed slow cooker temperatures before in this thread and there is a twist to the answer.
Slow cookers run too hot now. Most people don't know this. About 15-20 years ago the manufacturers bumped up slow cooker temps significantly...
(More information can be found in the quote link)

One scenario that can result from this is if one uses a newer recipe for slow cooker chicken (with a lower cooking time) in a vintage slow cooker that runs at a lower temperature, then undercooked chicken can result.

Last edited:
Got it now. The recipe seasoning does sound appealing.

As for dumplings vs biscuits, this may help. Disregard when the words are used interchangeably. Dumplings will be wet, dense, chewy pieces of bread that result from soaking and cooking in the liquid cook for an extended time. Tasty, but the texture isn't for everyone. Biscuits baked in an oven as per Pillsbury roll instructions will be crisp, lighter and flaky from dry cooking. Many of these dumpling recipes use biscuit dough in their recipe, but the cook gives a different end result. Each style has their merit and fans and sometimes it's also nice to have something different.

Great explanation. Using the same doughs in 2 different applications will give some completely different results and textures. The dough for biscuits vs that of dumplings are miles apart. The main difference between the 2 are the biscuits use buttermilk and baking powder/soda and no eggs. Dumpling dough is much simpler - flour water, salt and eggs. In the dumpling you definitely want to use egg, otherwise you might end up with a large clump of heavy chewy and possibly under cooked dough in the stew. The liquid on the outside will overcook the outside before the inside is even touched. This all depends on the size of the dumpling ofcourse. If you want to leave out the egg try making spatzle, its basically a small thinner and denser version of the dumpling.

My go to recipe for biscuits is Alton Brown's Southern Biscuits recipe. It's fool proof and easily accommodates other ingredients thrown in - cheese, herbs, green onion, etc. The only thing you have to remember is keeping the dough cool, so the butter doesn't melt, otherwise they will deflate and won't be as flaky. But will still taste good.
https://altonbrown.com/southern-biscuits-recipe/

oFlbDVR.jpg

Thx.

Finally had another steak. Custom cut angus ribeye on the weber summit grill. Hit about 650F on the sear. 20 oz (for some tasty leftovers). Awesome :agave:
attachment.php

attachment.php

Click twice to zoom. Enjoy the weekend!

Damn. Perfect cook. Need some steak in my life right now.

Those biscuits looks awesome. Thx for the suggestion and recipe link!

With the weekend I did an Instant pot chocolate cheesecake; and made it tall. So awesome :agave:
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The Instant pot does a really great job with these cooks, simple too.

With the holiday season near upon us I picked up the obligatory christmas nuts in the shell and have been enjoying them. I also tried these christmas oranges, premium pricey but very very impressive :).
20925159001_front_a06.png

Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend. Cheers!

Wok stir fry! Tons of vegetables; two diced sweet yellow peppers, two large garden carrots, a medium sweet sliced onion and snow peas,... plus a few jumbo shrimp done Pad See Ew style including a lighter amounts of rice noodle. Great colour! Awesome meal :agave:.
attachment.php

Went out for Shawarma! Crazy size, and that's a medium, lol. Lamb and chicken; so tasty :agave:.
attachment.php

Last edited:
Wife made stirfry the other night, was really good.
She also made cookies for dessert with the little guy.
(fyi, this new gtam app update is messing me up....can only attach photos and the end and not through the post. Sorry)
28852125d9e2923e482d1480cbbf9f8a.jpg
825b6840ae2426799512457bb13faae3.jpg

Weber grilled low and slow 4 hr pork back ribs in cold weather. :eek:ccasion9:
attachment.php

Eggplant cooking in the Instant pot. :)
attachment.php

Plated char siu pork back ribs, with chives and sesame seeds. :agave:
attachment.php

Plated chipotle adobe pork back ribs. :agave:
attachment.php

attachment.php

Instant pot harissa and honey braised egg plant with feta cheese, chick peas, fresh chives and fresh parsley. :agave:
attachment.php

Cast iron skillet garden potatoes with seasoning salt, garlic, onions, fresh dill, marjoram and fresh parsley. Served as is with sour cream and cottage cheese options. :agave:
attachment.php

Needed to finish some food in the refrigerator. So a breakfast sandwich worked well. Made with a toasted bun, medium over egg, processed cheese slice, butcher back bacon and some regular bacon. It came out looking so good I grabbed a picture. This one is for meat lovers.
Super tasty :agave: . Click on the picture header a few times to see full size.
attachment.php

Cheers

Last edited:
I have a pen pal in Switzerland and wrote him that while my wife was away I made soup by emptying the fridge. Carrots, potatoes, ham, chicken stock spices etc but apparently when I told him I threw in sauerkraut he and his wife broke up laughing. I liked it.

Trying to start off the new year right.
I will say again, that I am not great with the Googling of recipes. Was trying to find a dump and go slow cooker chili. Not even sure if there is one. I used mostly fresh ingredients. Cheated with a pre packaged chili spice. Added a few more spices...and basically combined the package instructions with a recipe I found online. Seemed to be a hit with the fam so score 1 for me this year!
0f54191b6905c46f4cf0627bf0c00a89.jpg
37d37a042b20bbee69a78b8ad67c46b3.jpg
3b8234cd98ec304ff23f794283b73fb1.jpg
031f80f0132829d11416a1ad541889fe.jpg
d1b5447d8b5b5e6f33ae0d47adea60de.jpg

Sent from the purple GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Back
Top Bottom