What's for dinner? | Page 61 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What's for dinner?

Another scratch burger cook on the Weber Summit grill. This is a half pound custom butcher coarse single grind beef chuck burger @ 25% fat
bowdown.gif
. Served with mustard, fresh spinach, tangy dill relish, pickles and a processed cheese slice on a toasted sesame bun. .

Cheers

Good looking burger! You BBQ through the whole winter?

After telling hubby I didn't need an instapot, guess what I got?

Yup. Now I have to go back thru this thread and pick out all the recipes for it. I did a chicken (Meh, roasted is much better and "sear" is another word for.burnt apparently ), a fabulous black bean soup, a pea soup and homemade Mac and cheese. I ruined a spiral ham in it - don't ask. So I'm three good recipes in and two down. I'm sure you can cook meat in this thing, but so far it's got me beaten

Great meal @Joe Bass! Nice pictures too!

Good looking burger! You BBQ through the whole winter?
Yes, year round. I've made a few holiday meals in -30 weather. It doesn't hurt to have a sheltered patio where the grill is. Thankfully a premium grill doesn't need to be baby-sat. I'm running NG as well so I never run out of fuel. I use the grill more than my stove :).

After telling hubby I didn't need an instapot, guess what I got?

Yup. Now I have to go back thru this thread and pick out all the recipes for it. I did a chicken (Meh, roasted is much better and "sear" is another word for.burnt apparently ), a fabulous black bean soup, a pea soup and homemade Mac and cheese. I ruined a spiral ham in it - don't ask. So I'm three good recipes in and two down. I'm sure you can cook meat in this thing, but so far it's got me beaten
Good luck and enjoy the Instant pot :thumbup:. Lots of meal ideas posted here, there and everywhere. The IP does a number meals/cooks better than most other cooking methods but it definitely isn't for everything. For meats, it's strengths include combo cooks such as stews, pot roasts, casseroles, pastas, soups, etc. Hard and soft boiled eggs are excellent as well. Lots of pulled meat recipes too. OTOH, if people normally cook a certain meat meal on a grill, using a pressure cooker instead isn't going to compare well. The IP uses steam and may be considered similar to boiling as a method of cooking. There's not a lot of meats I boil outside of the previously mentioned combo cooks.

YMMV. Cheers

Last edited:
Yes, year round. I've made a few holiday meals in -30 weather. It doesn't hurt to have a sheltered patio where the grill is. Thankfully a premium grill doesn't need to be baby-sat. I'm running NG as well so I never run out of fuel. I use the grill more than my stove :).

Good luck and enjoy the Instant pot :thumbup:. Lots of meal ideas posted here, there and everywhere. The IP does a number meals/cooks better than most other cooking methods but it definitely isn't for everything. For meats, it's strengths include combo cooks such as stews, pot roasts, casseroles, pastas, soups, etc. Hard and soft boiled eggs are excellent as well. Lots of pulled meat recipes too. OTOH, if people normally cook a certain meat meal on a grill, using a pressure cooker instead isn't going to compare well. The IP uses steam and may be considered similar to boiling as a method of cooking. There's not a lot of meats I boil outside of the previously mentioned combo cooks.

I know what you mean I use my BBQ all the time in warmer weather and never the stove/oven. Just to easy and quicker. I wish I had easy access to it in the winter so I could take advantage of it. But no luck there.

So I have been mulling over getting a slow cooker/crock pot device. But what about this instantpot? I take it, it's like a pressure cooker, with some overlap of a slow cooker. Which one might have the edge? I have no real cooking skills just looking for something easy and to hold me over for the winter until I can get back out to the BBQ.

I know what you mean I use my BBQ all the time in warmer weather and never the stove/oven. Just to easy and quicker. I wish I had easy access to it in the winter so I could take advantage of it. But no luck there.

So I have been mulling over getting a slow cooker/crock pot device. But what about this instantpot? I take it, it's like a pressure cooker, with some overlap of a slow cooker. Which one might have the edge? I have no real cooking skills just looking for something easy and to hold me over for the winter until I can get back out to the BBQ.

The Instant pot has been the hot new kitchen appliance over the last few years. It's from a Canadian company with Nortel roots. It has a huge following including social media, there are a bunch of cookbooks out now and the Instant Pot is one of the biggest Amazon sellers out there. I'd recommend the Instant pot over a slow cooker since it's also a slow cooker. There are lot of recipes everywhere, and starting in this thread in 2017. Looking at cooks here and recipes/cookbooks should help you decide if your interested.

Pressure cookers were popular decades back now but also dangerous. The new versions starting with the Instant pot have made the appliance much much more safe. Hence the interest and current popularity.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
The Instant pot has been the hot new kitchen appliance over the last few years. It's from a Canadian company with Nortel roots. It has a huge following including social media, there are a bunch of cookbooks out now and the Instant Pot is one of the biggest Amazon sellers out there. I'd recommend the Instant pot over a slow cooker since it's also a slow cooker. There are lot of recipes everywhere, and starting in this thread in 2017. Looking at cooks here and recipes/cookbooks should help you decide if your interested.

Pressure cookers were popular decades back now but also dangerous. The new versions starting with the Instant pot have made the appliance much much more safe. Hence the interest and current popularity.

Hope that helps.

Ya my mom used (and probably still does) a pressure cooker back a lot when I was a kid. Can remember that clacking sound it makes and whistling noise. She blew the whistle off a couple times.

Yes it does, thanks!

One thing that really helps me with using the BBQ year round is a BBQ gazebo. Got one from Lowe’s on a combo tax free and sale event. Just a cheapie with a canvas roof and I bought a spare canvas roof. Each one lasts about 3 seasons unless you’re really unlucky with the weather. Can grill in the rain and there’s decent shelter from other stuff too. Also a place to hang a light for cooking in the dark and shelves for food prep and tool storage.

I definitely recommend making the effort to get a good year round grilling setup. I know no one who regrets it and the costs will be recouped when selling. It saves money from eating out too. I've had a few friends also add a NG hookup outside their homes for a grill. One on his deck also has a NG run on the outside wall that ends adjacent to the kitchen stove for potential future hook-up and use. Having a natural gas pipe wrapping the outside wall of a house isn't a great decor addition but it's quickly forgotten with regular family grill use. IMO, if there is a partner worry about the aesthetics imo it's better to beg forgiveness than ask permission, so to speak ;).

Another meal post. Here I made nachos; it includes a shredded three cheese blend and butcher-sourced custom single pass coarse grind ground beef (chuck) and pork (shoulder). For salsa I took some premium Newman's Own medium salsa and fortified it with fresh onion, diced tomatoes, chipotles in adobo sauce and Mexican Mayanik Chile Habanero Rojo hot sauce. Top notch :agave:.

attachment.php

attachment.php

prodRed.jpg

Cheers and enjoy the weekend.

Last edited:
I definitely recommend making the effort to get a good year round grilling setup. I know no one who regrets it and the costs will be recouped when selling. It saves money from eating out too. I've had a few friends also add a NG hookup outside their homes for a grill. One on his deck also has a NG run on the outside wall that ends adjacent to the kitchen stove for potential future hook-up and use. Having a natural gas pipe wrapping the outside wall of a house isn't a great decor addition but it's quickly forgotten with regular family grill use. IMO, if there is a partner worry about the aesthetics imo it's better to beg forgiveness than ask permission, so to speak ;).

My problem isn't so much the gas link up, but the location of my patio and no walk out. No easy access to the BBQ even from the normal side door. Oh well next home I guess..

What chips did you use for your nachos? I've never found anything remotely close to the chips you find in Mexico. I know they are usually baked, and probably more corn based.
Surprised with your culinary skills you didn't whip up your own salsa.

Nice picture and pizza @Joe Bass! I don't to mushrooms on pizza either ;)

What chips did you use for your nachos? I've never found anything remotely close to the chips you find in Mexico. I know they are usually baked, and probably more corn based.
Surprised with your culinary skills you didn't whip up your own salsa.
I use Tostito's cantina extra thin nachos and am happy with them. It's still a very filling meal. They aren't as good as in MX but I don't mind that, variety is the spice of life and it gives me incentive to regularly visit MX
graucho.gif
. I did whip up ~ 50% of that salsa from scratch
spin.gif
. A number of my meals involve mixing up a combination of scratch and prepared foods or foodstuffs. I make meals a number of different ways because variety is the spice of life and often life is in the way of no-compromise scratch cooks; it pays dividends with time, effort and enjoyment. I don't limit myself to binary food choices (full scratch or processed). I'm not posting special meals either, it's my day to day cooking :). A few members here have consistently posted amazing and fine dining scratch cooks and they are definitely above me in culinary skills or effort. It's awesome to see. My meals are more across the spectrum and I'm posting my day to day cooks.

Winter time is soup time. Here's a spicy Asian noodle soup meal. It's an instant noodle soup I picked up at an Asian grocer and I added baby bok choy, Chinese broccoli and shrimp. Really tasty :agave:.
attachment.php

Kalbi beef from the Weber grill. This time I wanted a good sear :). Excellent :agave:.
attachment.php

Cheers and have a great Sunday.

Last edited:
Everyday cooks? I wish I could make my weekend cooks half as good!

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

Everyday cooks? I wish I could make my weekend cooks half as good!

Me as well! if @kwtoxman thinks he is only middle of the road around here, (but I think what their doing is pretty impressive).
Then I am not even close to the road... :lmao:

Thx @JoeBass and @sburns! I'm very appreciative of those great compliments. I hope some enjoy the food posts with pictures and that it helps to engage those interested in cooking more and better. I've got a couple hundred recipes/cooks I enjoy now even before riffing; it's been great for day to day cooking and necessary to do so if I want to get to many of them anytime soon. It's great if it inspires others as well; some posts and advice here has helped inspire me.

Here's another recent cook. Instant pot lasagna, double decker style. It's been too long since I made this. Ingredients include six cheeses (with Grana Padano), cottage cheese, more of that custom butcher coarse single grind beef and pork, diced onion, fresh noodles and some herbs/seasonings.

Prepped and ready to go.
attachment.php

Fresh out of the IP. It was excellent :agave::agave:.
attachment.php

Happy weekend everyone. Cheers

Last edited:
I haven’t been on this thread in a while. I see it’s still going strong .

This afternoon my wife and I hit a couple of shops on Kerr St. (Oakville), picked up a selection of cheese and meats, and put together this charcuterie board. The highlight for me was the whiskey cheddar

44157782282ee7dcd8efb5bc0c6cf2f8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That cheese shop off Kerr right behind the Gingerman is really great, not cheap but what cheese is.

F' you Ontario Dairy Board. Taxing my favorite thing 297% . Parmesan made in Stoney Creek is not Parmesan.....

Back
Top Bottom