Tire Hookup & Suggestion | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tire Hookup & Suggestion

Zlatan44

Hey all,

My Monster 796 is in desperate need of a new rear tire. Where do you recommend I buy them and what tire is best for me?

Not sure if my riding style is a factor but we go knee down every now and again.. and I have a car so they don't need to be good in the wet.

Lemme know!

I put Dunlop Q3 on my street bike this spring, I also like spirited riding... so far I'm happy with them. And they are pretty reasonable for price, I plan to track day my street bike this year too and have no issues using these tires.

I've used Q2s a few years ago on my SV track bike, never had an issue with them.

I DO NOT like Dunlop race rubber though!

Buy em at pro6.

Last edited:
Ooo I did think about the rear/front mismatch shortly after posting. I believe the stock tire on the Monster 796 is the Rosso II.. would a mismatch potentially provide an odd feeling/weird feedback?

My question is - could I was potentially wash the front on corner entry because I think I have more stick than the rubber can handle? ..or is that just a stupid thought lol

Try Glen at Flying Squirrel.
They are on Carlaw between Gerrad and Dundas if you're in the east end.

http://www.fsmotorcycle.com

It may take him a day or two to get odd sizes or uncommon brands.
He generally has the best (or close to it) price in town and he will mount and balance them as well.

Last edited:
Ya I didn't look at it as you were looking to replace just the rear.

Then as others have said, do both or match them up. You can use a new rear with and old front, I do it frequently on the race bike.... I've never done it on my street bikes because by the time you need a rear the front isn't the right shape anymore anyway.

Front tire doesn't give a rats *** what's on the rear,as long as it's not worn to the carcass.

The Rosso II is a great tire. Even on the track, its surprisingly good (I got curious one time...). Lasts a bit longer than the rosso corsas or the Q3 for regular street riding. They use either the same or a very similar compound as the rosso corsa, just in a different center to edge ratio. Usually you can get 2 rears to a front, so if there is a lot of meat left on the front, just change the rear.

Tires do get squared off, a fresh set always feels the best, but there is nothing wrong if your front still has life. Mixing and matching is preference, no manufacturer will recommend it (why would they want you using someone elses tire? or be held liable?). I do it all of the time, track and street without issue.

As far as "stick" goes, any street tire (assuming you are not using a GPA or some other race compound on the street), the majority of street tires have more than enough grip. Tire temperature and surface is by far a larger component in the slip equation than the delta between brands. Focus on smooth braking and be careful on cold donuts.

Ooo I did think about the rear/front mismatch shortly after posting. I believe the stock tire on the Monster 796 is the Rosso II.. would a mismatch potentially provide an odd feeling/weird feedback?

My question is - could I was potentially wash the front on corner entry because I think I have more stick than the rubber can handle? ..or is that just a stupid thought lol

Back
Top Bottom