My Highway CRASH video!! | GTAMotorcycle.com

My Highway CRASH video!!

mijustin

So I'm posting in the Introduce yourself thread because it's been a while.

I'm an extremely active member of the ZX6R.com forum and have been for the last two years.
I have been in 2 motorcycle accidents in my life. The first, was a lowspeed off due to my own inexperience, during my first year of riding, that cost me my collar bone. Three days after having 2 plates and 9 screws implanted in me, I was back on "the horse".
I consider myself to be an intelligent person...logical and reasonable. I take that logic with me on my motorcycle. I do my very best to understand that driving a car is different from riding a motorcycle....circumstantially and mentally. There are road signs, billboards, radios, coffee, phone calls, texts, kids yelling, throwing and fighting in the back seat. This, in a big comfy, climate controlled environment that is hardly conducive to paying attention.
I choose to put my unprotected body in the middle of that chaos every single day for the love of riding. I do this understanding everything I posted above, and I do this because I believe that I, as a rider, can take steps to mitigate those risks (to a point) by taking responsibility for my own safety.
Taking responsibility for one's safety implies a commitment to certain practices that are the only means of providing yourself even the slightest bit of protection among an asphalt landing pad buzzing with 2 million 2 tonne distracted missiles.
1. Never ride impaired
2. Never ride emotional
3. Literally # 1 but the first 2 need saying but here goes.....ALWAYS BE ON!!!!!! I make a habit of making a running SitRep (Situation report) in my head for the entirety of my ride.. you know, blue civic, left lane 3 oclock 200 meters ahead, white for F-150 just passed him on the left, he's clear behind me, green explorer, driver talking on phone creeping into lane 90 meters straight ahead and closing, shift over to the right with slight accel and out........This is what will keep you alive.

As I had the misfortune of finding out on Thursday May 5/2016 at 0744 hrs EST, not being "ON" increases your probability of near-death by untold amounts.

I travel the same route of the 401 from Yonge to HWY 25 in Milton every single morning for work, and than back....that's a 144 KM round trip 5/6 days a week for 3 years in a row. This morning... I got complacent. I was traveling in my lane, and I didn't even see him until he came over. Had I been "ON", I would have counted him in 300 meters up the HWY....Green panel van, 1 lane right. Lane slowing, driver looking to jump out at low speed.......But I didn't. I didn't see him. I didn't see him, because I just zoned into my ride like I was in my car going to work. I'd rode this road so many times before....I went into auto-pilot, and it cost me.... a lot less than it likely should have.

I got up from this with a broken hand, broken rib, some rash, and a totaled bike....All things considered, I consider myself the luckiest man on earth to have gotten to go home that night to my family, and put my kids to bed, because this could have ended a whole lot worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ivza1q6S12U&feature=youtu.be

The driver stopped, and insurance found the other party at fault. My gear did not survive, but it certainly did it's job! I take this as an incredibly valuable learning experience. As I eluded to in the beginning of this post, I consider myself to be a very good rider. I take what I have learned through my experiences, and those of others, and employ them in a practical effort to improve my skill. I'm constantly constantly pushing myself to progress and get better, and I take this no differently.

Here's what I've learned.
1)A million times before, this has happened, but usually, I've already seen the vehicle, counted them in in my head,I throttle through and the car/van/ truck is a memory... but this time...I grabbed a fistful of front brake and the bike stood up, locked into it's line and that was that. Panicked cause I didn't see him quick enough.
2)Early may in Canada, drivers have not seen a bike in nearly 7 months and are clueless that we're on the road
3)Early in the morning. Driver was tired and not paying enough attention.

I will take this experience forward with me and improve. I share this incredibly long post in the hopes that it literally saves someones life....as mine was quite close to being almost cut short.
Ride safe, wear your gear, take your time, PAY ATTENTION ALWAYS
PAY ATTENTION ALWAYS PAY ATTENTION ALWAYS PAY ATTENTION ALWAYS!

I get my cast off June 4th. I already bought, and am in the process of freshening up, my new baby, Falcon-Delta. a 2006 ZX636 with 11,000, km and not so much as a scratch!!!
Peach

Oh man, thank goodness you're going to be ok! GWS!!

Yes, we always have to be "ON", like pilots flying an airplane!

Glad your ok. Seems you were travelling at a pretty good clip compared to the other traffic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad your ok. Seems you were travelling at a pretty good clip compared to the other traffic?

Yeah, was thinking that too. My math suggests something more like 85mph (136kph), not 69mph (110kph). As well, my math suggests that the van was doing more like 64mph (102kph), not 50. But these make some assumptions about lane marking size and spacing that may or may not be correct. YMMV...

(Not really related to the incident but why does the bike only have one rear view mirror?)

Glad the rider is (relatively) okay. Pretty nasty off.

Yes you are absolutely right. I was moving quicker than the other three lanes. This occurred at a point in the HWY that splits express and collector lanes. As such, the farther right you look, the slower traffic becomes. As I stated, I was moving with the pace of my lane and it was clear ahead of me. The two lanes to my right, as you see the transport and van had already started to slow ahead of the incident, and the Van makes a low speed lane change into the express lane to avoid coming to a stop in the lane ahead.

Yeah, was thinking that too. My math suggests something more like 85mph (136kph), not 69mph (110kph). As well, my math suggests that the van was doing more like 64mph (102kph), not 50. But these make some assumptions about lane marking size and spacing that may or may not be correct. YMMV...
(Not really related to the incident but why does the bike only have one rear view mirror?)

Glad the rider is (relatively) okay. Pretty nasty off.

I'll be completely honest and tell you all of the speeds were deduced from the police report, and the other parties accounting of events...Seemed a little slow compared to the video, but we have to consider the camera is using a 170 degree wide angle lense on the nose of my helmet, skewing the perspective of speed slightly.

The right hand has..(had) a bar end mirror.

I will also point out that I am by no means one of those sportbike riders that give the rest of us a bad name...I am a 3 star rated rider with no tickets.....EVER and no at fault accident claims....I think that is very important to note.

Good for you recognizing that you had "zoned out" Video was a little hard to judge given that the camera was pointed way too far downward, rather than "forward facing" but it seems like had you been paying attention you could have likely moved slightly to the left and avoided the van completely by using left tire track and perhaps even part of the paved shoulder.

Glad you came out relatively unscathed.

I also feel it is good to get back on a bike ASAP. When I was rear ended two years ago, by a sport bike on my bike on the 401, (I was estimated to be doing 35 - 40 in stop and go traffic they estimated the other bike at 120 - 140 zipping in and out of traffic). I kept my bike upright and 4 hours later left for New Liskeard. The pain "really kicked in" after my return ride home.

The MOST important lesson I learned was that during periods of stop or slowed traffic I give vehicle in the slowing lane LOTS of space and I ALWAYS assume they will quickly flip lanes to avoid slowing or stopping.

Video was hard to watch. I'm glad you lived to talk about it.
GWS!

I'll be completely honest and tell you all of the speeds were deduced from the police report, and the other parties accounting of events...Seemed a little slow compared to the video, but we have to consider the camera is using a 170 degree wide angle lense on the nose of my helmet, skewing the perspective of speed slightly.

I based my estimate on the lines on the highway and the rate at which you passed them, counting frames at 25fps. The big assumption on my part is the line length and spacing; I used 10-ft long and 20-ft spacing (thus 30-ft from the start of one line to the start of another) and this figure was based on Fig 7.1 of this document (which I know is kinda stupid because it's BC but I couldn't find Ontario after a quick search...)

10/20ft is pretty conservative; if the lines are longer or the spacings larger you're going even faster. If the frame rate is not 25fps but is, say, 30fps you're going even faster.

I know some guys mount their helmet cameras so they inadvertently point "down" but here I assumed, after doing my math, that perhaps you were "tucking" a bit :)

Regardless, good post about staying alert. I might also add slowing down a bit -- especially speed differentials to the list of recommendations.

The right hand has..(had) a bar end mirror.

Ah, I see :)

I based my estimate on the lines on the highway and the rate at which you passed them, counting frames at 25fps. The big assumption on my part is the line length and spacing; I used 10-ft long and 20-ft spacing (thus 30-ft from the start of one line to the start of another) and this figure was based on Fig 7.1 of this document (which I know is kinda stupid because it's BC but I couldn't find Ontario after a quick search...)

10/20ft is pretty conservative; if the lines are longer or the spacings larger you're going even faster. If the frame rate is not 25fps but is, say, 30fps you're going even faster.

I know some guys mount their helmet cameras so they inadvertently point "down" but here I assumed, after doing my math, that perhaps you were "tucking" a bit :)

Regardless, good post about staying alert. I might also add slowing down a bit -- especially speed differentials to the list of recommendations.

Ah, I see :)

I think your assertions is spot on, and I'm more inclined to follow your line of thinking in relation to the speed. You will find no argument on my end, as I agree wholeheartedly that the onus was and will continue to be on myself to provide enough time, stopping distance and observational awareness to avoid such incidents in the future. I think had I been more acute that day, As I mentioned one should always be, I would have been more cognizant of the discrepancy in speed between lanes and as was posted, expected such nonsense to happen before it did., Thank you very much, BTW, for taking time out of your day to provide your valuable input. I really do appreciate it, as the goal here, as previously stated, is to improve as a rider.

GWS. As others here have said, I do find it extremely lucky you weren't considered partially at fault, given you were the vehicle behind, and traveling at a much different speed than those around you. Honestly I'm not a big supporter of speed limits at their current levels, but one should always try to go around the speed of traffic...if you are going much slower or faster than the rest, the risk of an accident goes up exponentially. I'm betting the van might even have looked, saw a bike 10 car lengths back and went to move, not knowing you were approaching quick enough to hit him.

Thanks for the post, and glad you're okay. Nice to see a rider asking what they could have done better: crash analysis so often ends with legal responsibility. Yes, always be "on". It's actually one of the main attractions of motorcycling, no? A form of high-velocity mindfulness. Though I can understand tiring of the bloody 401.

Very good to hear you are ok. I watched the video and was thinking are you going to stop rolling and glad there was a shoulder on the road.
I kinda have 2 things also when riding. Like you, the "running SitRep (Situation report) in my head" is number one. I just keep telling myself focus..focus on what is happening on the road and not get fixated on any one thing like starring in your mirrors too long...rubber necking at drivers...looking at deers in the field, being late for work, things going on at home... etc.
number two is staying relaxed. i stay relaxed by dropping my shoulders, flapping my arms like a chicken, not leaning on the handle bar and a light grip.
anyhow thanks for your post and get well soon.

Glad you're alive and GWS.

2 weeks ago I had a similar accident. (it was my first Motorcycle) It was in the city so we were going much slower and the car infront changed lanes into me much more violently.

I have ridden 2 short rides since the accident and when passing slower traffic in the next lane I am extremely nervous and I keep picturing them jumping out infront of me like what happened in my accident. I don't use the blocking position during these moments because it was being in that position that reduced my reaction time.
I'm glad I am more cautious now cause the other day someone did exactly what I was afraid would happen and it was because of that I had enough time to swerve out of the way. (And then pull alongside the driver and give them an earful)

I hope your injuries heal quickly.

I'm glad you are alive and the van definitely changed lanes unsafely.

All in saying is when you have such a speed differential from yourself and the merging lanes, it's a recipe for something like this. Merging traffic can't just your speed very well in their mirrors.

You still have the ability to slow down. And maybe piss off the traffic behind you but, it's still better.

It reminds me of travelling down a two lane road In the right hand lane. The left left lane traveling in the same direction but is stopped because someone is waiting to turn off the road.

And inevitably, someone jumps out into the right lane and cuts you off.

Even when it's posted 50km/h street, there is no place to go.

I always slow right down. Even if it's below the speed limit.

Because I know even the quickest vehicle cant jump into my lane and accelerate fast enough to avoid an impact from me going the speed limit.

Do I piss off the folks behind me? Does some of them push me and tail gate? It's not ideal and it's
possible someone could rear end me.

Anyways, I know it's pets by to maintain road speed and keep the flow. But you can also anticipate bone head moves and it might not be received well from traffic behind but, I try to keep my speed differential in traffic to a minimum.

Not saying you did anything wrong. Although the video does seem like you were loving pretty quick. The grey vehicle to your right, right at the beginning looks like it was standing still. Not sure if that is a merging lane too?

If so, it's only one lane straight through and one or two lanes merging from the right.

Easy to critique from the couch. I wasn't there. So take my comments with a grain of salt. It's the Internet.

Glad to hear you made it out OK.

TBH, I just sold my bike as I could feel my mind slip into complacency this year... and it is dangerous.

I have ridden 2 short rides since the accident and when passing slower traffic in the next lane I am extremely nervous and I keep picturing them jumping out infront of me like what happened in my accident. I don't use the blocking position during these moments because it was being in that position that reduced my reaction time.

100% understand your points, but as for riding in blocking position it is to give you more lane to react with, as well as make sure you appear in the mirrors of the cars you are riding beside...if you aren't in blocking, they won't see you in their mirrors at all. I get that proximity is scary right now...but it is something you can hopefully get over in the not too distant future.

Also a trick for non moving rows of cars is look for their wheels -- Lots of times when a driver is thinking of pulling out you'll see their wheels turned first. This has saved me once or twice. Also sometimes you can see the weight transfer in the car before they actually make a move, although I wouldn't count on that one.

Closest I've come to something like this on the bike was last year at McCowan & 7, when a car in the left hand lane decided it wanted to turn right while I was in the right most lane, and I almost hit the quarter panel when they turned right in front of me from the wrong lane.

Also to add to the OP incident...also agree with always having to be ON and Alert when riding 100% of the time. I find too at times I can get a little complacent as we all can, but if I ever notice I'm at a different rate of speed compared to those around me, warning bells go off in my head and I push my attention to 200%.

I'm glad you are alive and the van definitely changed lanes unsafely.

All in saying is when you have such a speed differential from yourself and the merging lanes, it's a recipe for something like this. Merging traffic can't just your speed very well in their mirrors.

You still have the ability to slow down. And maybe piss off the traffic behind you but, it's still better.

It reminds me of travelling down a two lane road In the right hand lane. The left left lane traveling in the same direction but is stopped because someone is waiting to turn off the road.

And inevitably, someone jumps out into the right lane and cuts you off.

Even when it's posted 50km/h street, there is no place to go.

I always slow right down. Even if it's below the speed limit.

Because I know even the quickest vehicle cant jump into my lane and accelerate fast enough to avoid an impact from me going the speed limit.

Do I piss off the folks behind me? Does some of them push me and tail gate? It's not ideal and it's
possible someone could rear end me.

Anyways, I know it's pets by to maintain road speed and keep the flow. But you can also anticipate bone head moves and it might not be received well from traffic behind but, I try to keep my speed differential in traffic to a minimum.

Not saying you did anything wrong. Although the video does seem like you were loving pretty quick. The grey vehicle to your right, right at the beginning looks like it was standing still. Not sure if that is a merging lane too?

If so, it's only one lane straight through and one or two lanes merging from the right.

Easy to critique from the couch. I wasn't there. So take my comments with a grain of salt. It's the Internet.

To provide you with some context on the road situation at the time of the crash... if my memory serves..

PlYLsDt.jpg

I was in the far right lane. Traffic was moving at a very good pace for that time of morning. Lots of space between vehicles, zero brake lights and generally pretty light morning commute.

q0DWBfC.jpg

Traffic began to slow in the first two lanes as it split from express to just the 6 lanes, and immediately spikes off two two exits to HWY's 427 northbound, than one for airport carlingview or whatever
and belfield. Then it goes right back to exps collector split. Traffic was open behind and ahead for all lanes, mines the only one that happened not to slow. As you see from the childish diagram I attempted to provide, you can see that there is a momentary slow in pace of traffic as those exit option present themselves. Between the tango that goes on between vehicles trying to get either in or out of that particular section of hwy creates a " slow Spot"... I should have recognized this. I just want to be entirely clear that I wasn't engaged in reckless racing or whatever. I was moving at a pace that was too quick for that very particular section of road, and due to my own error in judgment in not recognizing it, I paid. That is why I posted this video. I am by no means a novice rider. I have been riding motorcycles since I was 4 years old, my riding proficiency and confidence in my skill set are not what I'm questioning. I understand fully the speed differential
factor, and as I said numerous times above... I agree. I just want to clarify that I was not "flying" and have always been considered a responsible rider. I am the very first one to recognize my error and take the neccessary mitigating measures to ensure that I learn from this incident, and every other second I'm on the road. Thank you for you the post, I will definetly be pissing off a few drivers behind /me going forward in these types of situations. :)
l

I know the area you're talking about well, but it doesn't match up with your diagram. You have a three lane exit for 427 south, then shortly after you have another exit for Carlingview. For some reason, whenever I go by there a few drivers always seem drunk, or sleeping at the wheel, or at the very least they're feeling very insecure. In general, in that area, people drive too fast in the left lane and that contrasts starkly with these slow goofs in the right lane. Every time, every day that is a treacherous piece of road. The exit for 410 follows.

Firstly let me commend you for your bravery in negotiating such a dangerous stretch of highway every day. I think you know what you did wrong, and I think the experienced among us see what you did wrong. I believe 70mph is too fast for that area. 50-55mph is the max for me there and I pick up speed a little past the 427 overpass. Had you been a little more alert you might have avoided it altogether. Had you been going slower AND been alert it would have been a non-event. You're only human and you ARE going to zone out again. And again. And again. Going slower allows me a greater margin of error negotiating the 410 south every morning - yet another treacherous road. I've had some close calls though with lane encroachment just like yours. Get well soon. Glad you're still with us.

Back
Top Bottom