How to choose a new bike | GTAMotorcycle.com

How to choose a new bike

EasternGTAMan

I started riding last summer, started on a 1983 Honda 250. It's a nice bike, but time to move up. I have M2 license. I want to know how to choose something in a 500 to 600 cc class. The problem though is that it's hard to find sellers who will let you test drive before you buy (at least that is my experience). And places that rent motorcycles require a full M. I don't have friends with a variety of bikes to try. So what advice can you provide for test driving and comparing different models so a choice can be made?

I started riding last summer, started on a 1983 Honda 250. It's a nice bike, but time to move up. I have M2 license. I want to know how to choose something in a 500 to 600 cc class. The problem though is that it's hard to find sellers who will let you test drive before you buy (at least that is my experience). And places that rent motorcycles require a full M. I don't have friends with a variety of bikes to try. So what advice can you provide for test driving and comparing different models so a choice can be made?

Manufacturers demo days. Most won't let you ride supersports with M2, but should let you ride 500's and 650's. Anything in that class will be a big step up in power from your current bike while still being easy to learn on. A 600+ SS is worlds apart from what you are used to.

Demo days or spend some money on a course at Motopark and get muddy, have fun and get a lot of good skills.

Op, how old are you? Most demo days are good with M2. They may restrict some models.

There is an age requirement for most as well.

But that is the way to go.

Dealers won't let you like the tires so to speak but if you narrow your choices down to a couple, they will set up a private demo with the understanding you are "serious".

But you are free to walk away after the demo.

Based on your question, there is a big difference between a 500 and a 600. A lot of 650 class bike have less power than the 600 and have different ergos for example.

Honda's line up of 500 class machines has a wide variety to choose from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harley, BMW and Triumph usually let walk-in test rides.

Only Japanese and Ducati are snobby.

That is pretty good advice, thank you everyone. I'll check out the demo days.
Nakkers, I'm 51, so old enough, I think.
Trying to cruise the 401 on a 250cc is functional, but that's about it. There's no extra power for passing or quick maneuvers so I just stick to the granny lanes.
I want something that can solve that problem, not leaning forward too much which can be hard on the neck and back over time.
Any suggestions for a model to look for?

That is pretty good advice, thank you everyone. I'll check out the demo days.
Nakkers, I'm 51, so old enough, I think.
Trying to cruise the 401 on a 250cc is functional, but that's about it. There's no extra power for passing or quick maneuvers so I just stick to the granny lanes.
I want something that can solve that problem, not leaning forward too much which can be hard on the neck and back over time.
Any suggestions for a model to look for?

650 Versey Kawasaki

Bandit 650

ER6f Kawasaki

CBF600 or CBR650F

Or go the cruiser route.

There are tons of bikes out there go to show rooms and sit on some Sh$t

51?

Ok. Some demo days have restrictions and won't allow riders under the age of 25.

As for recommendations, at this stage of your life, don't you have a preference?

Adventure?

Standard/naked

Sport?

Got check out some dealers and swing a leg over some. See what feels right.

Read some reviews.

Do some demos.

Do some insurance quotes.

Check out kijiji or classifies.

Find a deal.

Ride!

Don't crash.

Sell and get another bike. Or keep and get another bike.

Ride some more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At 51 im surprised nobody is letting you test ride. Are you showing up drunk to all these things? I was able to test ride lots of bikes at 21. Keep looking.

I know there are tons of manufacturers and models, that's part of the reason it's hard to select one. So I wanted to reach out and see what other riders have been happy with, particularly when it comes to riding comfort.
I don't go to dealers drunk! Haha! Truthfully, no one ever flat out denied me a ride, but if I ask about it they say, "Weellllll, if you're really serious about buying this bike then ok". Then I feel pressured and don't want to do it.
I've watched a lot of youtube videos of different models. I think I like the Honda CB 500, same as what MacDoc suggested. I never rode one though. I need to try it, hence my original question.
Shanekingsley, I'm 5'8".
Thanks to everyone who read and responded. Cool people here.

If comfort is a factor go with something more standard. The CB or Er would be good choices. The Versys and Strom are a bit tall, but depends on how comfortable you are only getting one foot flat. Realistically if you get a fair deal on anything and don't like it, sell it the next year or at the end of the season for little loss. Too many bikes out there to limit yourself. Just get what catches your eye now and change again later.

I'd be VERY surprised if you did not adore the CB500x...

576 pages on the ADVr site
http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/honda-cb500x.840842/

It was a big hit from the get go and is in my list for Australia. I loved the ride.

Frankly I was surprised they put it up against the Vstrom but it did very well

https://rideapart.com/articles/suzuki-v-strom-650-adventure-vs-honda-cb500x-comparison-test

This is another bike you might consider if you are looking very long term CBF600

01cbf600.jpg

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/honda/cbf600/2008/

It's the same chassis as my CBF1000 but somewhat lighter and likely for you cheaper insurance.

Oddly tho they go for $5-6k in teh 2010+ range and there is a 2009 CBF1000 for $4300 around which is a real bargain.

It's under 500 lb. adjustable seat and windscreen height and usually not bad on insurance. 480 lb sport tourer. Better on gas than my litre version.
These are detuned RR motors - better torque, better mileage, lower insurance and still lots of fun. Likely a better fit for your size than the CB500x. The motor design means low stress/last forever.

It's really designed as a step up from where you are.

http://www.themotorcycleobsession.com/2014/09/ride-review-honda-cbf600sa.html

Harley, BMW and Triumph usually let walk-in test rides.

Only Japanese and Ducati are snobby.

Apex cycle in Cambridge will let you try anything if you have an M2, Yes even the new expensive Ducatis

650 Versey Kawasaki

Bandit 650

ER6f Kawasaki

CBF600 or CBR650F

Or go the cruiser route.

There are tons of bikes out there go to show rooms and sit on some Sh$t
ER6F is called the 650R here (unless they changed it recently?). ER6N maintains it's international name.

Back
Top Bottom