Good rain suits? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Good rain suits?

Thanks for the replies so far. Looking a little deeper I remember why rainsuits irritate me - the top of the scale is 4-5x the cost of the bottom, and the functional differences are not always clear (why would I need a jersey liner in a rainsuit?!). It also puts the "deficiencies" of the Nexo suit in context - it definitely worked, and it was less than $100. It still needs replacement, though.

How many times have you used it? The price is attractive but I'm seeing a lot of reviews complaining about the crotch losing integrity

I have a two-piece construction workers rain suit that I bought at Costco. It's the best rain suit I have ever had.

That is an interesting idea. Any further info?

I've been using some rain gear I found at a Columbia outlet on clearance a couple years back. Works great and has kept me dry and I use it camping too. I recently gifted an older Rukka rainsuit from a friends dad who gave up riding. It's one piece and doesn't pack down nearly as small but looks like it will do a great job - haven't tried it yet. I like something with a thin hood as well so I can put my helmet over it so no rain gets down the back of my neck...

In almost 3 decades of riding, I never had an issue with rain going down the back of my neck. I found the ones with a hood in the collar actually bit too bulky when rolled into the collar. Usually the collars are tall enough to go up under the edge of the helmet. Plus a lot of the time I'm putting on the suit after riding a bit and the helmet is already on.

Ah, I only had one other rainsuit before I started buying the ones with hoods - could of been that suit. The rukka one I just got does not have a hood, i'll test it out next time she pours.

I think if they were designed so the hood folds inside when not in use or zipped to the outside of the collar, that would be the best of both worlds. For me, in a sport bike crouch the extra material at the back of my neck pushes on the helmet. Not so much when sitting upright on a standard.

Anyone have any good recommendations for really small sized rainsuits? For like a smaller female rider?

Thanks for the replies so far. Looking a little deeper I remember why rainsuits irritate me - the top of the scale is 4-5x the cost of the bottom, and the functional differences are not always clear (why would I need a jersey liner in a rainsuit?!). It also puts the "deficiencies" of the Nexo suit in context - it definitely worked, and it was less than $100. It still needs replacement, though.

How many times have you used it? The price is attractive but I'm seeing a lot of reviews complaining about the crotch losing integrity

That is an interesting idea. Any further info?

Only wore it 5-6 days over the last 3yrs but it seems well made. I don't ride in the rain much but it gets packed when I go on multi-day trips. Compared it to others at GP when I was searching and decided to take a chance. I'm happy I did as it has worked great.

Anyone have any good recommendations for really small sized rainsuits? For like a smaller female rider?

Costco had Wetskins brand pants/jacket , breathable for $66.00 , I got a small for my daughter and shes pretty petite. I bought one as a backup suit for sailing , if they still have them its rediculous good for $66.

Fox makes a nice/simple rain jacket for offroad, but no reason why can't be used for all riding.
Would fit easily/comfortably over an armoured jacket.
I got my for $30 at GP Bikes.

Costco had Wetskins brand pants/jacket , breathable for $66.00 , I got a small for my daughter and shes pretty petite. I bought one as a backup suit for sailing , if they still have them its rediculous good for $66.

Cool! Thanks :)

We went to Costco tonight and bought a set of the rainsuits they have on sale for $30 right now. Thanks JoeBass for the heads up.

They look really darned good for riding....except for one thing - hot pipes. Already heard from someone who tried a similar suit and promptly melted the right leg off on their exhaust pipe, and I can totally see how I'd have the same issue on my bike as my exhaust runs paralel my thigh just forward of the seat, and then my front cylinder exhaust travels near my front floorboard.

I'm thinking of trying to hunt up some leather strips (or can anyone think of anything cheaper?) that I could make into wraps (with velcro) to strap to my legs in the problem areas to buffer against the pipes.

Thoughts?

Let me check if I still have the cut offs from my chaps. With my stubby legs, I had to take quite a bit off. If I have them, they are yours.

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

Let me check if I still have the cut offs from my chaps. With my stubby legs, I had to take quite a bit off. If I have them, they are yours.

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

Thanks Joe - something like this, even just in the two spots near my pipes would completely solve the issue.

(Edit: Come to think of it, my daugher has a set of old western horseback riding chaps in the garage that don't fit her anymore.... I could scavenge them for exactly this sorta thing... )

IMG_2515.jpg

Back
Top Bottom