Apps for Motorcycle smart phone use. Android or iOS | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Apps for Motorcycle smart phone use. Android or iOS

Thread title is Apps....no type specified ..all good Apps welcome but maybe specify which platform.

Wx actually sounds useful for our coming trip in June...how far out can you get alerts - we are planning about 500 km a day average.

It's based on saved locations, so you could put in any place in Ontario, in theory. Really wish another company/dev would bring 'Dark Rain' here, but for the last 2 years it has been US only.

I tried the free version of CoPilot today (on android), without paying for the voice prompt feature. It would show me the usual "turn right in 1.7 km" thing in the bottom left corner, but the distance to the turn did not update itself as I rode along - it stayed at "1.7km" forever, even when I was right on top of the turn. It also did not automatically advance the directions to the next turn - I had to manually advance the route to the next turn using the arrow on the right.

I can't imagine any GPS app being successful without these features, so I'm assuming that this behavior is better if I pay for the voice prompt feature. Can anyone confirm that the distance to the next turn counts down as expected, and advances to the next turn automatically?

I tried the free version of CoPilot today (on android), without paying for the voice prompt feature. It would show me the usual "turn right in 1.7 km" thing in the bottom left corner, but the distance to the turn did not update itself as I rode along - it stayed at "1.7km" forever, even when I was right on top of the turn. It also did not automatically advance the directions to the next turn - I had to manually advance the route to the next turn using the arrow on the right.

I can't imagine any GPS app being successful without these features, so I'm assuming that this behavior is better if I pay for the voice prompt feature. Can anyone confirm that the distance to the next turn counts down as expected, and advances to the next turn automatically?
It does, I think you had some kind of bug. Delete and reinstall?

Been using Waze with the kid on this trip ...the user reporting aspect and ability to keep track of each other is useful but needs a network connection.

It does, I think you had some kind of bug. Delete and reinstall?

Sounds like it kept dropping the GPS signal.
In your location settings, make sure your GPS setting is set to 'High Accuracy'.

This happens from time to time on most Android devices. Sometimes turning off the Location setting, waiting a few seconds, and turning it back on forces a refresh of the GPS antenna and re-establishes the connection. This isn't isolated to CoPilot. It happens to me in Waze, HERE or Google Maps.

My issues with CoPilot resolved themselves once I registered and activated the 7 day trial for the voice prompt feature. Routing and turn guidance now work as expected. I like the multiple waypoints and ability to drag&drop to fine tune the route.

I wish it had higher contrast on the 2D map, but it is still way better to see in the sun than Google Maps. It also keeps a good amount of detail for smaller roads when zoomed out, unlike most of the other apps.

Well that's why your Garmin & Basecamp combo sucks. Granted, I'm in a iPhone for voice/turn-by-turn, and an old Garmin Nuvi 350 in a R. Neither can do routes though, which does suck...

To plot a route with my garmin nuvi I just use lat/long coordinates as via points... A little bit of a chore, but... it works for me

To plot a route with my garmin nuvi I just use lat/long coordinates as via points... A little bit of a chore, but... it works for me

It still only lets you do a single via point though, or at least it does on my older unit. Would love to be able to program in an actual route, but as far as I know you need the Zumos for that.

It still only lets you do a single via point though, or at least it does on my older unit. Would love to be able to program in an actual route, but as far as I know you need the Zumos for that.

I know you can with the newer non waterproof Nuvi's, I put in a route on my parents car GPS from basecamp. Works a bit differently then the Zumo, but it did work. Will have to see if I can snag their Nuvi and see what I did. Not sure about the older waterproof ones, never put in an actual route.

The latest update for Google Maps has just added support for multiple via points. I usually wait a week or more before updating to see if the reviews complain about them breaking some other feature that I use (again).

Waze i used to use.

With my action cam i use
Yi Action

Geo Tracker if im on a ride and want to keep the map of the ride for later use.

thats about it.

When i got to test a smartwatch id use google maps a lot for navi and i used to check notifications on the go as well... still havent found a justification for buying a smartwatch though. just another distraction.

The Original TomTom app allows multiple "travel via" points....have not tested the limit but had 3 or 4 the other day.

I started using google maps offline a few days ago and it works really well. open maps, make sure you're signed into a google account and tap "offline areas" while on wifi. it'll let you save a map of a fairly large area for use without an internet connection, and with location services turned on it'll give you turn-by-turn navigation. it took about 500mb to save the area from algonquin to the north, upstate pennsylvania to the south, london to the west and kingston to the east. put the tank bag on, the 10" tablet in the window pocket and voilà! free offline gps navigation on a ten inch screen. even saved a chunk of the US for when I hit the road later this month. the only thing it's missing are some crucial points of interest (gas stations) that it can't seem to find without an internet connection. still, pretty sweet.

Sent from LV-426 using Warning Beacon (not to be confused with Distress Signal)

Last edited:
Are you sure about the data saved? I am trying the same and getting Kingston to Whitby, Minden to the north and Google is reporting that it will take about 1.5 gig. It won't allow me to select a larger area.

I started using google maps offline a few days ago and it works really well. open maps, make sure you're signed into a google account and tap "offline areas" while on wifi. it'll let you save a map of a fairly large area for use without an internet connection, and with location services turned on it'll give you turn-by-turn navigation. it took about 500mb to save the area from algonquin to the north, upstate pennsylvania to the south, london to the west and kingston to the east. put the tank bag on, the 10" tablet in the window pocket and voilà! free offline gps navigation on a ten inch screen. even saved a chunk of the US for when I hit the road later this month. the only thing it's missing are some crucial points of interest (gas stations) that it can't seem to find without an internet connection. still, pretty sweet.

Sent from LV-426 using Warning Beacon (not to be confused with Distress Signal)

Radar Now picks up Canadian weather radar now. Previously it used the weather radar near the border which was fine unless you went a bit further north. It's a nice simple interface and tells you about impending weather issues. Using the animations you can see what's coming and it's way more accurate than a weather forecast. I've been using it for years and often check it at stops to see if I needed to put wet weather gear on etc.

Where's the menu to add via points in android google maps? I don't see it.

top right corner (on android) the little 3 dots.

Back
Top Bottom