2016_05_13 Hwy 6 Hagersville GWS x 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2016_05_13 Hwy 6 Hagersville GWS x 3

GreyGhost

Site Supporter
GWS riders. Interesting description of the crash :/

http://www.yorkregion.com/news-stor...orcyclists-in-hospital-after-highway-6-crash/

Three bikers heading home from Port Dover were sent to hospital after trying to pass a vehicle on Highway 6 Friday evening.

OPP Const. Ed Sanchuk said the three were travelling north on Highway 6 near Hagersville at about 6 p.m. in a group of 15 when they approached a slow-moving vehicle.

The group began to pass the vehicle, but the last three ran into trouble when a southbound vehicle started approaching on Highway 6, Sanchuk said.

The vehicle pulled off to the side and the three motorcyclists "put down" their motorcycles to avoid collision.

The three men, a 38-year-old from Mississauga, a 36-year-old from Burlington and a 26-year-old from Aurora, sustained non-life-threatening injuries but were transported to hospital.

"We're telling motorcyclists all the time that they're only on two wheels and don't have a lot of protection," said Sanchuk, adding that riders need to slow down. "We want them to arrive home the same way they arrived in Port Dover."

If the vehicle hadn't pulled over, the crash would have likely involved fatalities, Sanchuk said. "There are quite a bit of markings … they slid quite a distance."

Was it a lemming effect? You don't go to pass unless you can see a clear road, no?

It happens a lot ... I've seen it many times ... and it's not just riders (although we have the most to lose). How many times have you seen a car pull out to overtake, and the one behind also pulls out to overtake behind the first one despite not being able to see down the road because of the first overtaking car in front of them?

Last time I saw this ... Yesterday. (Involved cars, not bikes.)

Think, people. Just because someone in front of you does something, doesn't automatically mean you have enough time or space to complete the maneuver. You have to make your OWN judgment of whether it is safe.

Was this the accident I heard about on facebook, where the riders were boozing it up at Dover during the day, then decided it was a good idea to ride home?

really? you somehow assume that alcohol was a factor? I'm sure this would have been mentioned by the police and the media if it was the case.

I was asking a question, around the same time as this accident there were several posts on fb MSGO about riders that were drinking in Dover that day that went down.

We passed this on the ride home as they were being loaded onto a truck. hope they all good.

That's good to hear. Tell your buddies they need to chill out while riding, though ... don't need anyone else having to learn this the hard way ...

Hey - now that we have some of link to these riders, can we get this clarified: "...and the three motorcyclists "put down" their motorcycles to avoid collision."

Was this a creative liberty of the reporter or did they actually say this?

One of the riders got the worst of it with a broken collarbone and road rash but hes healing and will be ok thankfully....

glad to hear they doing well. sucks end of the day but could have been much worse.

I still shake my head when people say they have to 'put down'/'lay her down' to avoid an accident. Granted I'm guessing there could be the odd case where this is true, but 9 times out of 10 trying to keep it upright and bring things to a controlled stop is better than an uncontrolled slide with a greater stopping distance. Also if the car pulled off the road, shouldn't there have been 1/2 to a full lane open to them to maneuver??

That said, I've seen and been on rides where some people like to play chicken with oncoming...I cringe each and every time. Also when people pull out to pass en mass...bikes are very good at accelerating, braking, and fitting back in if need be, but you eliminate most options when there is someone also trying to pass in front of you.

Yeah I'm not big on the multi-bike blind pass. I'm fairly certain you lose most of your braking and handling goes out the window when you "lay her down". Can't imagine that being my first choice of action. It's like letting go of the steering wheel when things go bad in your cage. You have zero chance of recovery.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

Yeah I'm not big on the multi-bike blind pass. I'm fairly certain you lose most of your braking and handling goes out the window when you "lay her down". Can't imagine that being my first choice of action. It's like letting go of the steering wheel when things go bad in your cage. You have zero chance of recovery.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk
Its ironic though, I have been in a car crash, where a women pulling out of a parking lot into my lane actually did take her hands off the wheel and raise them up right before we collided, when in that moment, I assume some people, maybe many in the case of alot of low sides and highsides just lose it and cant think straight...

Its like the old "stop, drop and roll", if I was on fire, would I remember to do so? Or would I run screaming, fanning the flames...

Different people have different responses to a surprise. Letting go and throwing hands into the air is one possibility ... Just watch "Canada's Worst Driver" ...

run screaming fanning the flames...

GWS

Throwing your hands up in the air is an appropriate response - if you are a NASCAR driver, and you are about to hit the wall: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95evw68W2LU Notice that they were trying to steer just before impact and after impact.The hands-up is just to keep their hands of the wheel and help protect their head.

Back
Top Bottom