M1, M2, and M question | GTAMotorcycle.com

M1, M2, and M question

instaant

Hey guys,
I'm just wondering, for the M1 test
1. Can we just take the M1 test, go in, pay, and go out, or is it included as a package with the M1 exit?
2. When can we take the M1 exit test to get our M2? As far as I know, we can take it as long as we have our M1 for more than 60 days, but is there any limit/deadline to take the M1 exit test for M2 before our M1 expires again?

Thanks!

Hey guys,
I'm just wondering, for the M1 test
1. Can we just take the M1 test, go in, pay, and go out, or is it included as a package with the M1 exit?

Go to a DriveTest center, pay a fee. take an eye test, take the M1 written test, pass and walk out with an M1 certificate. M1X is not included. You do need the M1 to enroll in an M1X course at an approved facility.

2. When can we take the M1 exit test to get our M2?

If you go through a DriveTest centre, you need to wait 60 days minimum. If you go through a college (e.g.) you can take their course any time after getting your M1 but you cannot go to the Service Ontario desk and get the M2 endorsement on your drive's license until that 60 day period has ended. The providers of the course will give you a sealed envelope with the necessary paperwork. You put that side, unopened, and 60 days after getting your M1, you go to Service Ontario with the sealed envelope and walk out with your M2.

As far as I know, we can take it as long as we have our M1 for more than 60 days, but is there any limit/deadline to take the M1 exit test for M2 before our M1 expires again?

M1 is only good for 90 days. If you don't take & pass an approved course or pass the MTO test (depending on the path you choose) before 90 day period ends, you have to start over.

To summarize:

- go to DriveTest centre, obtain M1
- if you're going to do an M1X course (e.g. college), you can do so at any point after getting your M1; you receive a sealed envelope after passing course; you must still wait 60 days from getting M1 to take sealed envelope to Service Ontario
- if you're going to go directly to the MTO for your M1X test, you can only do so after 60 days has elapsed since getting your M1; if you pass, you're upgraded to an M2
- if 90 days goes by and you haven't completed an M1X course and you haven't passed the MTO test directly, your M1 expires and you need to start again

If you plan to take a motorcycle safety course be SURE to mention that when you pay for your M1, otherwise they will charge you for the road test as well which they automatically assume you will be taking with them, but when you take a motorcycle training course however the roadtest and such is part of the fees you pay there so you do NOT need to pay the ministry for a test you will not be taking.

The difference is something like $20 for just the M1 vs $80-$90 for the M1 plus the ministry exit road test lumped in together.

Don't get caught paying for something you'll never use. A lot of people get taken for the $60 for nothing as they don't usually ask.

Go to a DriveTest center, pay a fee. take an eye test, take the M1 written test, pass and walk out with an M1 certificate. M1X is not included. You do need the M1 to enroll in an M1X course at an approved facility.

If you go through a DriveTest centre, you need to wait 60 days minimum. If you go through a college (e.g.) you can take their course any time after getting your M1 but you cannot go to the Service Ontario desk and get the M2 endorsement on your drive's license until that 60 day period has ended. The providers of the course will give you a sealed envelope with the necessary paperwork. You put that side, unopened, and 60 days after getting your M1, you go to Service Ontario with the sealed envelope and walk out with your M2.

M1 is only good for 90 days. If you don't take & pass an approved course or pass the MTO test (depending on the path you choose) before 90 day period ends, you have to start over.

To summarize:

- go to DriveTest centre, obtain M1
- if you're going to do an M1X course (e.g. college), you can do so at any point after getting your M1; you receive a sealed envelope after passing course; you must still wait 60 days from getting M1 to take sealed envelope to Service Ontario
- if you're going to go directly to the MTO for your M1X test, you can only do so after 60 days has elapsed since getting your M1; if you pass, you're upgraded to an M2
- if 90 days goes by and you haven't completed an M1X course and you haven't passed the MTO test directly, your M1 expires and you need to start again

Another question, a riding course such as offered by the following company http://ridertraining.org/gearing-up is only preparing you for the M1X right? Meaning that this is not an M1X test?

.... The providers of the course will give you a sealed envelope with the necessary paperwork. You put that side, unopened, and 60 days after getting your M1, you go to Service Ontario with the sealed envelope and walk out with your M2.

...; you receive a sealed envelope after passing course; you must still wait 60 days from getting M1 to take sealed envelope to Service Ontario

the sealed envelope isnt in play anymore. The upgrade is now automated. The course provider enters the data in to the MTO system. after 60 days, you still need to go in to the Drivetest, present your current license for upgrade and they take care of it... a little less messy than it used to be

Another question, a riding course such as offered by the following company http://ridertraining.org/gearing-up is only preparing you for the M1X right? Meaning that this is not an M1X test?

From their FAQ:

"Will I get my motorcycle operator’s license if I pass the Gearing Up course?
All provincial governments encourage new motorcyclists to take professional training prior to starting to ride. Many provinces allow Gearing Up students to be tested for their motorcycle operator’s licenses at the Gearing Up training site immediately upon completion of the Gearing Up course. Regulations vary from province-to-province so check with the local course sponsor and/or the provincial Ministry of Transportation."

Ontario is one of those provinces that allow 3rd parties to administer the test. Find out if the facility you'd use does this:

http://ridertraining.org/gearing-up/ontario

Gearing up is the standardized motorcycle training course here, and yes, it does include the exit, so upon successful completion and after the 60 day M1 requirement...you will get your M2 via these courses.

They are money VERY well spent.

the sealed envelope isnt in play anymore. The upgrade is now automated. The course provider enters the data in to the MTO system. after 60 days, you still need to go in to the Drivetest, present your current license for upgrade and they take care of it... a little less messy than it used to be

Interesting. The old way did seem a little, er, "analog" I guess.

Wow didn't know that...I guess they just changed things fairly recently? Got my M1 and M2 back in 2012 and M2 results were delivered via envelope.

Bit of a tangent but I still find it funny how outdated government can be sometimes...I used to do some work with a clinic, and they recently moved to online OHIP submissions and reimbursement, as they were still using an old 56K modem. What makes it funnier was they were forced to wait until 2015 to move off the modem as it was considered the 'advanced' method...older clinics were moved first that, get this, had to mail 3.5" floppy disks to the Ministry of Health on set intervals (in 2014!! lol)

Last edited:
Yeah. Company that I worked for was still using punched cards and a card reader when I left. They had an keypunch department.

Back
Top Bottom