Temporary insurance for visitor from Germany...possible? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Temporary insurance for visitor from Germany...possible?

theshnizzle

Site Supporter
We have a uncle visiting us for 6 months from Germany. He would like a motorcycle to ride while he is here and we happen to have a DRZ400 available. Is it advisable to put insurance under the bfs name but have uncle ride it? Would the insurance company let temp insurance be put on the bike under uncles name?

We are worrying about what the ramifications may be if uncle gets into a accident while here under a insurance policy that has been set up under the bfs name. is there a solution insurance wise where uncle can safely and legally ride a motorcycle while he is here?

uncle has a full motorcycle endorsement and full license endorsement.

Usually if the driver/rider is over 25 and licenced for vehicle level, most policies allow lending a vehicle temporarily. BUT...if something happens the hit goes against the registered policy holder. I don't think anyone insures vehicles not owned by the policy holder.

He won't be able to insure a vehicle not in his name, and I doubt you'd find any insurance company that would write such a temp policy in such a scenario anyways.

Perhaps just having him rent a bike instead would be the best option. Mackies in Whitby does rentals - yeah, it's gonna be a cruiser vs a sportbike, but it's 2 wheels...and no insurance worries for you by loaning.

I would have thought that if the visitor had an international driver's licence they would be covered for any similar vehicle shown on their licence, not unlike a friend using your car or bike for a short time. If that is the case just have the bike registered and insured as normal.

That could work if the uncle uses the bike occasionally but would be outside the parameters of the policy if he rides extensively.

To confirm you would have to ask your agent in writing and you will likely get one of two replies.

1) No

2) Yes but it will cost you a fortune.

Coverage limits for several items are to change June 1 IIRC so read the fine print and prepare accordingly.

Unfortunately, this is for tourists/travelers insuring their own bikes.

We faced the same issue when we visited Toronto a few years ago. A friend offered to lend his bike to us for the summer and I looked into insuring it under my name because I didn't want him to assume the risk if I had an accident. No dice unless I bought the bike off him and put it under my own name.

In the end I rode under his insurance. Both of us knew I was good to cover any damage to vehicles, but it was a big risk if I had an accident involving hospital bills, which if the insurance company looked into it, they would probably try denying coverage.

Sell uncle the drz, get insurance. When uncle leaves buy back drz.

If the uncle is _living_with_you_ for six months, and planning to drive any of your vehicles at all, then you really should call your insurance company to inform them.

It may be possible to add them as a secondary driver, or even as a primary driver of the DRZ which would be on your policy.

A little strange to have a spare uninsured DRZ around though. Is it on another policy already?

1.4.1 You agree to notify us promptly in writing of any significant change of which you are aware in your status as a driver, owner or lessee of a described automobile. You also agree to let us know of any change that might increase the risk of an incident or affect our willingness to insure you at current rates.
You must promptly tell us of any change in information supplied in your original application for insurance, such as additional drivers, or a change in the way a described automobile is used.

Best-case scenario is for you to write or email to advise of the guest, and your agent says 'don't worry' (get that in writing).

Last edited:
I don't know of insurance company that will insure him without a Canadian Driver's License.Everytime I travel to Europe i arrange insurance through my travel agency to drive in the country, costs an arm and a leg, however when I arrive car is ready for me.I would assume it would be the same with people visiting Canada

Back
Top Bottom