Turbans vs Helmets | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Turbans vs Helmets

The reason it's being brought up as a religious issue is because it highlights how as a society we bend backwards for the "acceptance" of other cultures and religions, even going against logic and reason, all to be PC.

This should be seen less as a religious issue, and more as one of personal freedom. If it is indeed your life (and it surely isn't anyone else's) then you should have the freedom to take risks. Of course there is the old societal burden theory made by bleeding hearts who just want to protect everyone from themselves, but the state of Michigan has really trumped that argument by simply forcing non-helmeted riders to carry more insurance. It's always lost on Canadian grazing lambs that most U.S. states don't have a helmet law. Amazingly Canadians go berserk every time they see the Sikhs arguing for helmet freedom, when we could easily accommodate them and anyone else and make a buck off it too. I really don't see a problem with it.

So why in the name of freedom does an American have to wear a seat belt in a car but not a helmet on a bike?

This should be seen less as a religious issue, and more as one of personal freedom. If it is indeed your life (and it surely isn't anyone else's) then you should have the freedom to take risks. Of course there is the old societal burden theory made by bleeding hearts who just want to protect everyone from themselves, but the state of Michigan has really trumped that argument by simply forcing non-helmeted riders to carry more insurance. It's always lost on Canadian grazing lambs that most U.S. states don't have a helmet law. Amazingly Canadians go berserk every time they see the Sikhs arguing for helmet freedom, when we could easily accommodate them and anyone else and make a buck off it too. I really don't see a problem with it.

Actually, only three US states have no helmet laws (Indiana, Illinois and Hew Hampshire.) All other states have universal or partial helmet laws.

Actually, only three US states have no helmet laws (Indiana, Illinois and Hew Hampshire.) All other states have universal or partial helmet laws.

Surely you can understand that someone under 18 might not be fully aware of the risks and hence the under age helmet law? Just like drinking and voting laws? Most don't require adults to wear a helmet.

So why in the name of freedom does an American have to wear a seat belt in a car but not a helmet on a bike?

Because nobody lobbied against the seatbelt laws. I suppose seatbelts are seen as less intrusive and less of an annoyance. Also less hot in 110F temps.

Surely you can understand that someone under 18 might not be fully aware of the risks and hence the under age helmet law? Just like drinking and voting laws? Most don't require adults to wear a helmet.

Fair enough.

So, just to be clear: You're advocating for helmet-less riding in the name of "personal freedom"?

As a sikh rider, I'm completely behind the law to enforce helmets and believe it's for our own sake. I have learned a new "style" of tying my turban and it more like a bandanna to be honest, so I can wear a full face helmet over it. I ended buying a modular type helmet that makes it easy while putting and removing. Though a modular wasn't my first preference but I got used to it and see no problem with it.

As a sikh rider, I'm completely behind the law to enforce helmets and believe it's for our own sake. I have learned a new "style" of tying my turban and it more like a bandanna to be honest, so I can wear a full face helmet over it. I ended buying a modular type helmet that makes it easy while putting and removing. Though a modular wasn't my first preference but I got used to it and see no problem with it.
Reasonablerider.com

Fair enough.

So, just to be clear: You're advocating for helmet-less riding in the name of "personal freedom"?

Let me be more clear: I don't advocate riding without a helmet; however, I do believe people should have the freedom to choose whether to wear one. It's really not that complicated.

the insurance company's are gonna have a feast with this one.
insurance rates :
rider with helmet $$$$$
rider with out $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
ya think ?????

When these people go for their test at the ministry how do they do the test with the turban?
No..right? They have to wear the helmet by law in canada. If they want to smash their heads with the turbans let them do it.

I dont believe in making any exceptions to any laws based on religion.

Jokes. This is so fundamentally flawed. Murdering. Pretty sure that's based off a good old Christian/Catholic faith rule - sumtin' to do with not hurting people. Not allowed within the borders of O' Canada. I suppose you if you found an island and it MikBusaLand, and deeply believed in Pastafarianism (?), you would create a law that states you need to wear a strainer.

Laws are constantly evolving based on religion, society, etc..

the insurance company's are gonna have a feast with this one.
insurance rates :
rider with helmet $$$$$
rider with out $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
ya think ?????

What if you're a turbaned Sikh (such as myself) who DOES wear a helmet (obviously); will the insurance company profile me and raise my rates? I know the Sikh MC in British Columbia ride in parades and such
Sikh-MC-post.jpg

which I think is reasonable if you're moving along at a slow speed to be helmet exempt, but to have an exemption while riding in regular traffic doesn't make sense.

There was something in the news about a Sikh in B.C. unraveling his turban and using it to rescue a woman struggling in a river. Throwing a motorcycle helmet at her probably wouldn't have helped.

I know the Sikh MC in British Columbia ride in parades and such
Sikh-MC-post.jpg

which I think is reasonable if you're moving along at a slow speed to be helmet exempt, but to have an exemption while riding in regular traffic doesn't make sense.

Even if turban bearing riders didn't have to wear helmets, it wouldn't exempt them from riding without eye protection which seems to be the case in this photo.....

But you just did comment on this. You called it absolute craziness.

It's ok griff2 I already drew attention to the obvious in my own crazy way. Ah, what the heck, the more the merrier.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom