Gear Visibility - Noob Question | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Gear Visibility - Noob Question

While on the topic, one of my customers at work is a manufacturer that does MTO compliant road signage and I occasionally pickup huge bags of their end cuts and small scraps of this reflective material. This is the $$$$$ 3M material that they use on stop signs, the overhead signs on the 401, etc - the stuff that lights up like a Christmas tree with any light.

I have a ton of it and it's free to any members here who want a piece or five to use on their bike/helmet/whatever.

reflective.jpg
I'd be interested in some. Black, clear, white, red.
Thanks

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Thanks again, this stuff is great. May just ride out for some more...

27122504995_e5a4e9ed99_z.jpg

and cell phone flash pic....

27122499325_d6081bac02_z.jpg

I'll bring you some dots...they work well on the aluminum forks.

@PrivatePilot Are those adhesive backed? Or what's the best way of putting it onto a surface?

@PrivatePilot Are those adhesive backed? Or what's the best way of putting it onto a surface?

It's all peel and stick vinyl.

Everyone is welcome to the stuff, all ya gotta do is come get it. I'm located just east of Oshawa though (Courtice) so it's not 100% convenient for many in the Toronto area, but if anyone is making a trip out this way for GP or Royal (or re-gear) anyways, I'm only about 10 minutes further east.

Ill be unavailable until next Saturday/Sunday however. I'll try to catch up on PM's then, but if anyone that sent me a PM or had previous plans to come get some hasn't heard from me by Sunday morning....send me another PM. ;)

I wear a construction guy vest when riding.
Its safety yellow with optic orange cross stripes on it.
The orange stripes are reflective.
I also have reflecting tape on both sides of the motorcycle and on my helmet.
I am quite a sight riding down the road, especially in daylight.
If the car driver says he didn't see me it's because he didn't look.

Last edited:
@MacDoc I've got some MTO reflective stuff that was generously given to me by @PrivatePilot. He gave me a ton, so you're welcome to some if you'd like to try making your own sticker.

Sent from my custom Purple Joe Bass mobile on Tapatalk

@MacDoc I've got some MTO reflective stuff that was generously given to me by @PrivatePilot. He gave me a ton, so you're welcome to some if you'd like to try making your own sticker.

Group Gtam craft day in January?

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Group Gtam craft day in January?

I'm in!
I need all the help I can get. Plus I'm still on probation; no sharp objects for me.

*not really on probation*

I'm in!
I need all the help I can get. Plus I'm still on probation; no sharp objects for me.

*not really on probation*
No, you're still in the lockup!

SHERIFF-JACKET-SHIPMENT-OCT-2014-copy.jpg

Thanks to Joe Bass for some of the vinyl.

@PrivatePilot , any idea how "removable" the vinyl is from plastic bodywork?

Last edited:
@PrivatePilot , any idea how "removable" the vinyl is from plastic bodywork?

The high reflective stuff is very thick so I suspect it would at least hold together while trying to remove it instead of shredding into a billion hard to remove little strips. Hard to say how easily it will come off though - I've never tried honestly.

The offer still stands for anyone wanting some of the material - I still have quite a lot.

I'm new to riding and researching new gear.
I feel visibility is very important.
My question is high-viz yellow better than red?
Personally, as a driver I find it hard to see road workers, etc wearing high-viz yellow on sunny days, unless their shirts or jackets are outlined by a darker border.

Back in the day fire departments switched their trucks back to red from yellow for visibility purposes.

Ultimately, I want to be as safe as I can be, and make the best choice on gear for that.

Any advice is appreciated.
Because it should be High-Viz-Black on a sunny day... not yellow...

White is most visible, off-course debatable. It's why police officers around the globe wear white, it is also the base color for the hi-viz stuff. Not many people purchase white helmets, I did, and got a discount for getting it in that color :cool:

Benefit of white is, doesn't fade like some of the hi-viz stuff, looks sporty (or like the stig, lots of hello's from kids!), available in almost any brand, will match many clothes, styles, and bike colors.

Back
Top Bottom