Gear Visibility - Noob Question | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Gear Visibility - Noob Question

White gets dirty, marks up easy and is a pain to keep clean. IMO, it looks like crap after a few rides.

Wear what you like and what makes you feel visible.

But, please please please ride and assume you are invisible no matter what you wear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

White gets dirty, marks up easy and is a pain to keep clean. IMO, it looks like crap after a few rides. Wear what you like and what makes you feel visible. But, please please please ride and assume you are invisible no matter what you wear. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me that is totally wrong.
It's not a fashion show, so whether or not your gear gets weathered, dirty, faded, marked up, or looks like crap, doesn't really matter.
Can people see you better with it?
Does it help them to judge your distance and speed?

Also, if I was invisible, I would ride much differently, such as ignoring traffic laws, riding down the side of roads, and generally riding in a less predictable, and more careless way. Since I'm merely hard to see, and hard to judge at speed, I do and wear things that make me more visible, more predictable, and easier to judge.

White helmets work well.

A black backpack can obscure a hi-vis jacket.

OEM turn signals and brake lights are poor enough without replacing them with integrated/tail-tidys.

Rumor on the interweb is that hi-vis vests are drunk magnets at night.

I've been unseen and hit before. No one wants to hit a rider but they claim blindness. I ride like I'm unseen but have found that motorcycle conspicuity starts with 3 lights at the front. On coming traffic can't judge speed with one light, and 3 says motorcycle better than 1.
At the rear more lights also seem wise, and a flashing brake light is fantastic. Reflective gear is fine but light up the bike and you’ll notice others noticing you in a good way day or night...fog or rain.

Lot's of good points on this thread - studies show a highly visible, brightly coloured helmet makes a huge difference and is often the first thing that catches a drivers eye. The only thing I would add to that is it goes beyond a bright helmet. You can do things that help you get seen by cars - movement is a good one. Change lanes, positions in your lane or things like that to try catch the driver's attention, and do NOT ride with your high beam on (no doubt, worthy of a few debates on GTAM) and use skills and planning to stay safe. Never rely on gear or equipment alone .

I've been unseen and hit before. No one wants to hit a rider but they claim blindness. I ride like I'm unseen but have found that motorcycle conspicuity starts with 3 lights at the front. On coming traffic can't judge speed with one light, and 3 says motorcycle better than 1.
At the rear more lights also seem wise, and a flashing brake light is fantastic. Reflective gear is fine but light up the bike and you’ll notice others noticing you in a good way day or night...fog or rain.

So you installed two extra lights on your bike?

Back
Top Bottom