Dual Sport as First Bike | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Dual Sport as First Bike

I'm 5'7", 130lbs, inseam 30". Would bikes with seat heights of 35" be too tall for me (like the DRZ400, XT350, KLR650)?
Also, would a KLR650 be too powerful and/or expensive on insurance for a noob?

I also have a 30" inseam. My fourth bike is an XT250, and it is the most fun I have had on two wheels. It is fine on the highways, brilliant for commuting in the GTA, good on the dirt (though a tire upgrade is desirable for real mud or sand). I have wiped out in mud: just lift up the wee thing and start over. I can flat foot, though as stated above that is not at all a necessity. It is light and nimble and easy to start off at full lock. I spent this past Saturday with Trailtours: highly recommended. So yes, a small dual sport is a great option. XT, KLX, CRF, WR (the champ of the 250s). Sit on them all then buy a cheap used one. All of them are bulletproof.

wait... how does one flat foot 35" seat height with a 30" inseam?!

You mean one foot flat or do you mean 2 feet flat at a stop!?

If you're asking about my XT250 it has a 31.9" seat height and about 4" sag. Flat foot both sides. The CRF250L has a seat height of 34.7". Not flat foot but certainly balls of both feet. That would possibly be disconcerting to a very new rider, but only likely to be an actual problem when not realising you have stopped on an uneven section of road. Perhaps best to get used to always shifting over and flat footing on one side?

If you're asking about my XT250 it has a 31.9" seat height and about 4" sag. Flat foot both sides. The CRF250L has a seat height of 34.7". Not flat foot but certainly balls of both feet. That would possibly be disconcerting to a very new rider, but only likely to be an actual problem when not realising you have stopped on an uneven section of road. Perhaps best to get used to always shifting over and flat footing on one side?
When i tested the duke 690 thats what i did, just flat footed one side instead of doing ball of feet (cause barely get heel on the ground if i stretched it lol)

The XT250 has a 30" seat height I believe. It's the DRZ400 that has the 35" seat height.

in case of the klr - the suspension is old and I make it sag big time so it's just getting a leg over.
Boots help.

Hey Mate yes the V-Strom was well cared for it was my baby and still miss it. I had tears in my eyes when you rode off on it. My avatar is still the Vee at sunrise lol

In my opinion its is nuts you can write 40 questions on a car license and ride whatever you can get insured for the licensing is totally out of date here, I know Europe its extreme but how can you pass a test in a car park then ride on the road whatever you want. That's why insurance is rocketing personal claims are 5 times what is being paid in plus it would help if the authorities made some laws to make proper gear mandatory. Saw on FB pictures of an accident from Port dover jeans and running shoes and minimal jacket no protection whatsoever.

Riding off road teaches you an awful lot but I think the M1 exit should have proper road time included as well.

take care and ride safe all

I'm 5'7", 130lbs, inseam 30". Would bikes with seat heights of 35" be too tall for me (like the DRZ400, XT350, KLR650)?
Also, would a KLR650 be too powerful and/or expensive on insurance for a noob?

The KLR won't be too powerful. Although I would highly suggest sitting on one, and trying to push it around, first. Its big and heavy. If you end up having to push it 15km home it won't be an easy task. The KLR is 432lb wet. The DRZ400 (for comparison) is 319lbs wet.

It will also be a lot more expensive insurance wise.

Height can be solved with lower links and sag adjustment if that's an issue. I'm somewhere around 5'10 and 230lbs. Not sure about inseam, but I can flatfoot 1 side of the bike, which is all you need at a stop.

Last edited:
Yeah KLR 650 is Learner class in Aus and Europe but I'd not recommend for a height challenged new rider.

A few days ago I say a video on youtube talking about what makes a wr250x a better choice than a grom. Since then, I've seen a ton of rave reviews of the wr250r, which seems very similar to the x, and much easier to find. They look like fun bikes, and still fast enough for the freeway. Pricey, though, and the seat would probably be too tall for many riders. I'd love to try one out for a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom