Parking on residential streets | GTAMotorcycle.com

Parking on residential streets

looplise

I started to park on my street in the last week. I live in Toronto and I don't have a garage. I have my permit and everything, but when I went to attach it to my bike, I realized that I always have my cover on my bike whenever it's not in use so even with a permit, the parking enforcements would've even see it unless they took the cover off.

For those that park on the street, do you leave your bike open for everyone to see or do you cover it? Is it weird/illegal that I cover my bike whenever it's parked? I personally don't want to attract people to it so I always keep it covered. Should I leave it uncovered since it's on the street?

Lastly, has the permit ever been of an annoyance while riding? It's bigger than I thought it'd be.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

A definite conundrum. I would suggest calling parking enforcement speak to a manager and ask how they want you to proceed. They definitely will NOT uncover your bike to search for a permit, (too much liability, what if they scratched your bike or worst knocked it over while uncovering/covering it). Of course the other question is where would they afix the ticket? Again they aren't going to touch the cover etc, (if they are smart).

Where and hiw did you attach the permit that your thinking it may be an annoyance during riding?

I started to park on my street in the last week. I live in Toronto and I don't have a garage. I have my permit and everything, but when I went to attach it to my bike, I realized that I always have my cover on my bike whenever it's not in use so even with a permit, the parking enforcements would've even see it unless they took the cover off.

For those that park on the street, do you leave your bike open for everyone to see or do you cover it? Is it weird/illegal that I cover my bike whenever it's parked? I personally don't want to attract people to it so I always keep it covered. Should I leave it uncovered since it's on the street?

Lastly, has the permit ever been of an annoyance while riding? It's bigger than I thought it'd be.

A definite conundrum. I would suggest calling parking enforcement speak to a manager and ask how they want you to proceed. They definitely will NOT uncover your bike to search for a permit, (too much liability, what if they scratched your bike or worst knocked it over while uncovering/covering it). Of course the other question is where would they afix the ticket? Again they aren't going to touch the cover etc, (if they are smart).

Where and hiw did you attach the permit that your thinking it may be an annoyance during riding?
Yes, I was planning to give then a call on Monday. But good to hear thoughts from others here in the meantime.

It's supposed to be affixed to the middle of the handle bar. I haven't attached it and rode with it yet, but I imagine it flapping back and forth as I drive. Since I'll need to change it over to the next permit on June 1, I'll just give it a try. I am probably just imagining the annoyance.

I wasn't even aware you need a permit on a bike. Too easy for someone to remove it from the vehicle. Same reason they allow us to park for free on green P street parking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They can't write a parking ticket without the licence number.
So attach the permit to the licence plate.
Get a plastic sleeve, put the permit in the sleeve then attach it all through one of the unused holes in the plate.
Tie it on with string or something you can remove easily when you want to ride or its time to change the permit.
Theft is a potential problem, but you said your bike is covered when parked, so that will help.

Last edited:
I wasn't even aware you need a permit on a bike. Too easy for someone to remove it from the vehicle. Same reason they allow us to park for free on green P street parking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah you need a permit. It's free though.

Yes, I was planning to give then a call on Monday. But good to hear thoughts from others here in the meantime.

It's supposed to be affixed to the middle of the handle bar. I haven't attached it and rode with it yet, but I imagine it flapping back and forth as I drive. Since I'll need to change it over to the next permit on June 1, I'll just give it a try. I am probably just imagining the annoyance.

In case you didn't get a chance to call I just did because I'm in the same boat.

They said you are supposed to put it on the left handlebar, but can also put it next to the plate. Why they wouldn't develop a sticker program for the plate itself is beyond me, too logical for the city I guess!

And if you put a cover on it they can't give you a ticket unless they pull it up to see your plate, and if your permit is there then you're off the hook.

I might ask them to give me two permits, and sew one inside a plastic sleeve to my cover so that it's easily seen and they don't have to go snooping around the bike. Especially if you have an alarm or something on it.

The city can't develop a system of permits for the licence plates because the city doesn't control licence plates.
The province does.

The city can't develop a system of permits for the licence plates because the city doesn't control licence plates.
The province does.

Right but they do control parking permits which is what we're talking about... are you not allowed to put anything besides the renewal sticker on a plate or something?

... are you not allowed to put anything besides the renewal sticker on a plate or something?

Nope. And technically you aren't supposed to cover any part of the plate like the majority of cars do with those dealer and vanity plate frames....or those semi clear/coloured plastic covers. Even a clear one is obstructing the plate.

In case you didn't get a chance to call I just did because I'm in the same boat.

They said you are supposed to put it on the left handlebar, but can also put it next to the plate. Why they wouldn't develop a sticker program for the plate itself is beyond me, too logical for the city I guess!

And if you put a cover on it they can't give you a ticket unless they pull it up to see your plate, and if your permit is there then you're off the hook.

I might ask them to give me two permits, and sew one inside a plastic sleeve to my cover so that it's easily seen and they don't have to go snooping around the bike. Especially if you have an alarm or something on it.

Thanks! I didn't have a chance so I'm happy you're sharing what they told you. That might be a good idea getting two but I've already got my permits and going downtown is brutal during work hours.

So far I've had my cover on the whole time for the last couple of weeks when parked and I haven't gotten a ticket yet or been questioned about it. Maybe I'll just keep trying my luck. I have to switch the permits on June 1 so I may look into attaching the new permit by my plate in the case they do lift the cover.

Thanks! I didn't have a chance so I'm happy you're sharing what they told you. That might be a good idea getting two but I've already got my permits and going downtown is brutal during work hours.

So far I've had my cover on the whole time for the last couple of weeks when parked and I haven't gotten a ticket yet or been questioned about it. Maybe I'll just keep trying my luck. I have to switch the permits on June 1 so I may look into attaching the new permit by my plate in the case they do lift the cover.

So you're just parking on a residential street in your neighbourhood? You got a disc lock or any type of alarm system going?

So you're just parking on a residential street in your neighbourhood? You got a disc lock or any type of alarm system going?
Yeah I am. I have no garage so street is my only option. I have a disc lock that screams but I need a new batteries. And then my cover. What do you have for security measures?

Yeah I am. I have no garage so street is my only option. I have a disc lock that screams but I need a new batteries. And then my cover. What do you have for security measures?

Bikes not in town yet but thats basically the exact setup I was going to go with... can't think of much else I could do.

For residential street parking, the permit it free. They send it to you laminated and with a Zip tie. I cut off the excess clear plastic. I attach it to my handle bar and then Fold it over and jam it so I don't see it. Every night I also put a bike cover on my bike as I like to c
keep it clean and dry. Parking enforcement has never touched it. I don't think they ever will. I only get the permit so that other can't call in and complain. No need to call them for clarity, just stick it on somewhere and your fine.
And when it's time to renew your permit, you can't do it online. You have to mail it in. Even though I put it in storage over the winter I still get the permit so that I don't have to go in to the office to get it in the spring.

Back
Top Bottom