Colorado | GTAMotorcycle.com

Colorado

Rusty

Site Supporter
Hey gang. I'm heading out to Colorado next week. Gonna hit Pikes Peak, Durango, and Aspen. Then up thru Yellowstone Park and Going Into the Sun (?) Road. Finishing up in Edmonton.

Anybody got any tips and tricks on what not to miss?

Thanks in advance.

Don't do Yellowstone on a weekend .....tho you are very early.

Chief Joseph Parkway and Beartooth are must do if they are open.

Bryce, Zion and Arches are easy wonders on your route....get national park seasonal pass and it covers them all anywhere in US for a year.

e6192b884f265e35831a82966500752b

more
https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries/yosemite-yellowstone-bryce-etc

Glacier National Park I think is Going into the Sun
https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/gttsrfaq.htm

and you must be preapared for vicious weather.....we got hammered with snow and sleet even in late June.

Some pics to inspire you...

https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries

Glacier National in late June....wear gear

4897ff4120aac8d7197831aa1ff09edd

Last edited:
Hate to be negative, but you are going very,very early to ride this area of North America. All these areas are at pretty high altitudes, so as a result are still likely pretty cold. I don't think the "Going to the Sun Road" is even open until late June. Beautiful but very high and still likely snowbound. Bryce Canyon, Zion etc. at points you are riding at 11,000 ft. and they just haven't warmed up enough by May. Even Banff still can still get snowstorms at this time of the year. But local conditions can vary, so be careful and have fun.

agreed on the weather front...we drove back from San Diego through Colorado last summer in August...we stopped in Vegas for the night and when we left that morning it was 41 degrees...when we stopped in Vale Colorado, the temperature had dropped down to like 10 degrees...and that was August!...absolutely gorgeous scenery though...

You should check out Mount Evans in Colorado. Highest road in North America. Cripple creek is an interesting place to visit as well. Million dollar highway is a must as well.

Last edited:
Following mountain passes will be closed ( you're travelling there too early...) : Mt.Evans, Independance, Kebler, Cottonwood, Guanella and Trail Ridge. Pikes Peak will be open, but you can expect tons of snow near the top. Keep in mind that uphill gate closes 2 hours before closing, which I believe is 5 pm this time of the year. I don't know what your route will be, but try to spend at least one full day above 6,000 ft ( altitude acclimatization is necessary for most people...) before going to Pikes Peak Summit, otherwise altitude sickness will get you...
550 Ouray to Silverton is not to be missed!!! I highly recommend you spend the night in Ouray or Telluride.

Just came back from Colorado ad Utah. I rented a bike from a dealer in Denver. Depends on how many days you want to tour around. I spent 3 days in Utah and 4 days in Colorado. I went from the bottom part then up back to Denver. I traveled to Cortez to Montrose, then to Glenwood spring, steamboat, vail, and then to Pike's peak. those are the most wonderful places I've ever visited, and carefully and best picked by the local motorcycle rental dealer. Detail itinerary pls visit their page at www.eaglerider.com/motorcycle-tours/denver you won't regret it

I visited Bryce and Zion in late October.
Nights were cold but usually warmed up to the 70s by mid morning.
If you have your heart set on it, bring long johns and a sweater.
You may wish to stray into eastern Wyoming and South Dakota on the way out or the way back.
There is Devil's Tower, Sturgis, Deadwood and Mt. Rushmore all in the same area,

I visited Bryce and Zion in late October.
Nights were cold but usually warmed up to the 70s by mid morning.
If you have your heart set on it, bring long johns and a sweater.
You may wish to stray into eastern Wyoming and South Dakota on the way out or the way back.
There is Devil's Tower, Sturgis, Deadwood and Mt. Rushmore all in the same area,

Don't forget Badlands national park.

Thank for all the great tips. I will be spending 2 nights in Denver before I start exploring the mountains. Sadly I won't have time to check out Bryce and Zion.

My apologies for res'ing an old thread. I thought better to add to an existing one then to create a new one.

I may head west to ride Going to the Sun road and Beartooth Highway. So I'd be there last week of August or first week of September. From my reading it looks like weather conditions are "unpredictable" and all I can really do is ride there and then check conditions before I head on up.

Any other advice for heading over that way at this time?

Back
Top Bottom